Tripods?

brown dog

3 hours ago, No i deer said:

Try double sticks wit a rope attached at the V. Stand on the rope and lean into the sticks and the rope will steady the sticks like a 3rd leg

Different thing. I’m talking about a kneeling height tripod so you can have the forend on the tripod and brace your elbow on your knee to support the back of the gun. A much more deliberately built position than double, double and string or even quad sticks. 

main-qimg-99f86e511daf44426cf94db43af1b9

AHPP, when you make a stick tripod as per picture it’s really just a rest for the sandbag. The rifle will recoil / bounce but it’s not hard mounted as with a tripod saddle mount etc. With that in mind you don’t need the stick tripod to have fine vertical adjustment- you can adjust them down by splaying the legs more but not up again - you loose the tension from the binding that you have when stressed into a lower position. I would tend to go for 2 legs back.

Try something like a big rubber band from a hoover motor. If you can get it over the sticks tight- 2 or 3 times you might have something with enough tension that you could use and vary the height on. You need both tension and elasticity.

8 minutes ago, ds1 said:

AHPP, when you make a stick tripod as per picture it’s really just a rest for the sandbag. The rifle will recoil / bounce but it’s not hard mounted as with a tripod saddle mount etc. With that in mind you don’t need the stick tripod to have fine vertical adjustment- you can adjust them down by splaying the legs more but not up again - you loose the tension from the binding that you have when stressed into a lower position. I would tend to go for 2 legs back.

Try something like a big rubber band from a hoover motor. If you can get it over the sticks tight- 2 or 3 times you might have something with enough tension that you could use and vary the height on. You need both tension and elasticity.

Many thanks. Bicycle inner tubes are my usual cordage for this sort of thing but I couldn’t find one yesterday. Had to make do with bailer twine applied to scout association standards.
I’m not expecting fine adjustment (I steer rifles from the back anyway). The problem I had was accidentally weighting a a stick above the tie and levering it off the ground. I imagine that problem will diminish on grass/soil as opposed to carpet. 

If you use a rucksack too you can weight the front stick with it - or just rest it on the bottom of the stick ( I have seen an extreme version of this where one bloke was holding the tripod legs down whilst the shooter was doing his thing). I would think it would create more movement than help though.

Another option to inner tube would be to use paracord and a piece of wood as a tourniquet.

D25BD1EF-7F7C-4A5E-B167-5185BD097984.thumb.jpeg.60d288c409eca158790b9705136f491b.jpeg

8 minutes ago, ds1 said:

If you use a rucksack too you can weight the front stick with it - or just rest it on the bottom of the stick 

Or possibly weight and pinch in all three legs by laying a loop of rucksack strap over the top of the tripod and letting it sit in a ring about half way down the legs. 
Constructive discussion. Very much appreciated. 

19 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Or possibly weight and pinch in all three legs by laying a loop of rucksack strap over the top of the tripod and letting it sit in a ring about half way down the legs. 
Constructive discussion. Very much appreciated. 

Just tried it. Helps massively. Sticks in place and accepts fine adjustment. Also keeps your swimming bag off the ground. 

76561530-D271-4F9E-BB34-1373E7543E39.jpeg

8 hours ago, AHPP said:

Different thing. I’m talking about a kneeling height tripod so you can have the forend on the tripod and brace your elbow on your knee to support the back of the gun. A much more deliberately built position than double, double and string or even quad sticks. 

main-qimg-99f86e511daf44426cf94db43af1b9

Oh I see..

I thought you were after a simple alternative rather than that tripod contraption thing which is clumsy and taking the fun out of PRS.

1 hour ago, No i deer said:

Oh I see..

I thought you were after a simple alternative rather than that tripod contraption thing which is clumsy and taking the fun out of PRS.

I’m going to use it to hit frying pans at 400m with a .22 in my own sweet time. 

13 hours ago, One on top of two said:

That’s what I’m doing tomorrow. I have a few hours spare so I’m off crow bustin and shooting some steels with the rimmy in between. 

Well just got back home. Here’s a pic of how I set up on the crows. 
from your his mornings outing  275m ish away under some bails. All very civilised.

35CA6659-2C69-4F20-872F-5123F1440636.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...