Tripods?

brown dog

When did tripod-mounted rifles become 'it'?

I really struggle not see them as ot very real-world (whatever that is!) and gaming away the skill that came with improvised solutions.

A sort of 'I'm pretending to shoot real-world, but gaming 'cheats'' mobile bench rest.

Thoughts?

:)

Screenshot_20210519-080636_Facebook.thumb.jpg.25f90916e454e7ae85c194db128b5ef2.jpg

Have you gone all TR on us ?  😁

Pass the leather straight-jacket and gimp glove

Just another tool in the box, I use mine mostly when night time shooting and have done the past few years. Their importance for shooting off in precision rifle shooting is massively over estimated by people who don't understand how to use them, the biggest advantage in those scenarios is use as a rear support.

Elbows are so 1980's! ................................

It does make me chuckle watching the 100yard snipers on Short Siberia with massive bipods and  rear bags getting excited that they keep getting V Bulls.

5 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

The opposite, I think.

These tripods aren't 'an act of war' in real shooting terms,  other than, perhaps, for static police shooters, so they're a sort of 'gaming cheat', let's face it, Stephen Hawking could have shot well with one, so where's the skill? 

It seems to be a race for who can build the lightest portable benchrest, rather than field shooting...about as practical in the real world as having a fridge in your rucksack, yet they're now 'the thing' in tacticool competition and they're ubiquitous in that niche.

Just musing.

Hmmm it’s a yes and a no from me . 

Now this is just my opinion and I don’t want to get into the politics of precision shooting but I have to agree 100% these have NO place in a competitive environment whatsoever , and I can’t for the life of see these can be used and still be called a level playing field 🤔 however.

I have a Recon tripod with pig  saddle and I absolutely love it , mine is used exclusively for hunting / pest control .

we have finished lambing now but when i I’m,  i simply reverse the van onto edge of field or wherever the best spot is , open back doors set tripod up of floor and sit on the edge on the van , this allows me total freedom to properly glass the field , move about , have my lunch .. whatever knowing that in a moments notice I can protect the lambs from crows , rooks, foxes . Ect 

shooting big rooks and carrions at 200 -400 m from a solid platform I will take that every time . Makes the drops easy with only the wind to worry about 

lambing time can be very hard and time consuming , and after spending a whole day concentrating and being totally aware of your what’s going on it’s very mentally draining way to spend your days . 
also when foxing I can just set up with all the NV set up and have a perfect 360 degree field of view. 
for me personally the tripod is a god send , especially with a knackered back 😂 

like everything, they have there place .

There was a video on youtube which I can't find now, of a competition in the US, the stage was for shooting from a roof and the guy looked like a bad boyscout sketch with all the kit hanging off him plus his tripod, took a few minutes for him to set up for his shot

5 minutes ago, One on top of two said:

Hmmm it’s a yes and a no from me . 

Now this is just my opinion and I don’t want to get into the politics of precision shooting but I have to agree 100% these have NO place in a competitive environment whatsoever , and I can’t for the life of see these can be used and still be called a level playing field 🤔 however.

I have a Recon tripod with pig  saddle and I absolutely love it , mine is used exclusively for hunting / pest control .

we have finished lambing now but when I’m i reverse the van onto edge of field or wherever the best spot is , open back doors set tripod up of floor and sit on the edge on the van , this allows me total freedom to properly glass the field , move about , have my lunch .. whatever knowing that in a moments notice I can protect the lambs from crows , rooks, foxes . Ect 

shooting big rooks and carrions at 200 -400 m from a solid platform I will take that every time . Makes the drops easy with only the wind to worry about 

lambing time can be a very hard time consuming and mentally draining way to spend you days . 
also when foxing I can just set up with all the NV set up and have a perfect 360 degree field of view. 
for me personally the tripod is a god send , especially with a knackered back 😂 

like everything, they have there place .

Your use is pure utility - a tool to do a job, the sharper the tool the better.  I can see the benefit entirely.

In "sport" shooting it's just another step away from the skill of the individual transcending the equipment.  If it's a level playing field I don't have an issue but I'll not be as impressed by claims of wonderful accuracy using a 'portable bench rest'.   Having said all that, I couldn't hit a barn door without scope, bipod, bag and ballistic app 😉

Personally, I rather like the idea of these folks being able to ‘cheat’ a little bit in their job. The UK Armed Forces adopted the PRST tripod for their snipers not so long ago. However, I am sure that they will still teach the ‘3 broomsticks’ method.

3D8ABB54-67F2-49A0-AFAC-CD2C0794685C.jpeg

58 minutes ago, Scotch_egg said:

It’s another bit of kit to spend £££ on. 

The send it series @ Eskdalemuire does not allow tripods. Keep it basic for me. 

I like the ban and think there should be  a weight limit. 

I don't like bans, the overriding leveller should aways be whatever you want to use on the stage must be off the deck before the stage starts.

I'm with John. Use what you like but you have to carry it all day and get it on and off the stage in a given time. There was or is a competition around a quarry somewhere south west ish (Wiltshire?) that works like that.

My mate, Neil is convinced a system used in some motorcycle racing disciplines would work for shooting competitions; a contractual option to buy any other racer's setup for a fixed fee. I'm not as convinced. I think it would stifle the innovation of people building their own stuff if they're just going to be forced to sell it.

BD,

It is allowed in the current version of 'PR' (add whatever suffix you like) competitions therefore folks will use them if it gives them a few more points. Same as any sport, if it's in the rules then you can use it.

'PR' , as observed by Mr Galli, has become barricade bench rest, MD's come up with challenging stages and competitors find way's to negate the challenge thru' (allowable) props, it's just a game and not meant (I believe?)to be real world at all. There was a glimmer of hope re. the Hunter class - then you see a video with a guy running round with a (big ol') tripod attached to his rifle FFS!!

But, If you do not want to go that way you do not have to, I too have a dislike for 18-20 pound rifles, lots of bags (just choose 1 and run with it). The predecessor comps to 'PR' were great fun and a personal challenge and even the top shooters only made about 50% of the available points -it was difficult and meant to be that way.

Each to their own, I'm no longer competitive anymore (both in capability or attitude) and just shoot for fun, might try a tripod for S&G's, who knows?

T

On 5/19/2021 at 8:16 AM, Popsbengo said:

thought it was 'canvas clad coffin dodgers'? 😉😂

19 hours ago, Shuggy said:

Personally, I rather like the idea of these folks being able to ‘cheat’ a little bit in their job. The UK Armed Forces adopted the PRST tripod for their snipers not so long ago. However, I am sure that they will still teach the ‘3 broomsticks’ method.

3D8ABB54-67F2-49A0-AFAC-CD2C0794685C.jpeg

I'll wager you'll find zero snipers carrying it 😉

The big tripods are not very practical but obviously stable. For carry it all comps I use a Gitzo carbon. Fits into a 25L or 40L day pack.

A9DE9F34-A22E-472E-A1A0-9410CEBA9BD3.jpeg.c221f9d3f101352a5f26ce3ec2c8cda5.jpeg

Tripods do not support the arse end of the rifle. However you can tension the front end with a HK sling (per picture) or something similar. This set up is easy to carry in a day pack and stable enough to  enough to hit 10” plates from standing at 800m with an AXMC. 

7157EF8D-FD4F-4170-B641-DED6A42A4989.jpeg.c2d1b3bd05a8509510d9515bc7b052df.jpeg

Use a quality tripod ( carbon) RRS and Gitzo are good...... traveler / mountaineer series. A good ball head and find a way to support / tension the rifle and not balance it. It’s then a versatile bit of kit that works for sitting, kneeling and standing.

14CD8402-6089-4570-B4CC-9F188B5811B4.jpeg.a04182de9d63a07c821116b8764ffe52.jpeg

Is there a tried and true broomhandling technique? I’ve been fiddling with it off and on all evening but no way I found of tying it and splaying it is especially better than other ways. You think you’ve got it then one leg will spazz out.
Central leg forward then rear legs like deer sticks worked least badly most of the time but most photos I’ve found online exhibit the wigwam style.