Sako 75 III

Without going back over old ground, the Sako transformation is now completed, and all thanks are due to the help, generosity of spirit, and efforts of Dasherman, Col48 and Kaleiderscope for making it happen.

It is or was , a Sako 75 III Finnlite in 7-08 calibre, and it has now:

Lothar Walter fluted 1500 profile barrel (22") threaded and s/s end cap, minimum SAMMI spec chamber in 7-08.

McM Sako Varmint stock Blk/Gry/OD

Bolt fluted and Tactical knob fitted

NEAR Manf rail/Rechnagel rings

S & B Zenith 3 - 12 x50 scope

A-Tec Moderator

Duracoat Parker grey with some ticky black overspray to matte the whole thing off. ( Kal secret recipe)

I have had it to the range yesterday and it shoots, using so far, Federal Premium factory with 140 Gn Accubonds, and I am convinced it will do much better with home loads, which is the next job to get sorted.

Sako75_1.jpg

Bedding job completed

Sako75_2.jpg

Action work completed

IMG_0795.jpg

Finished action

IMG_0797.jpg

Complete rifle

SakoAccubond.jpg

Disregard the hole on the far left, it was from previous zeroing, the 4 holes on the red BC dot make a .76" group and the one on the right was my fault, so essentially the rifle is better than I am , even with factory loads.

Anyway, I wanted to acknowledge the efforts made by all concerned and it is early days with only 22 rounds down the tube, it looks like a "keeper" with the right home loads.

ATB

Tikka 260

Looking good there buddy ;) ,cracking job :D

I dont know much about the 7-08 is it something you have shot before?

Whats the gun going to be used for?

Good luck Andy :)

Thats a real nice looking rifle!

You must be very happy with the way it looks and shoots.

I use 130grn accubonds in my .270, they're great bullets for deer.

Good luck with it in the field.

ATB

Moses

Looking good there buddy ;) ,cracking job :D

I dont know much about the 7-08 is it something you have shot before?

Whats the gun going to be used for?

Good luck Andy :)

Thanks Andy

I used it in its previous life on Roe, Fallow, Reds, & "Pigs" (with 150Gn Sierra pro hunter) , I am thinking that with 140 Gn Accubonds it will do everything I need in its new guise.

I find the 7-08 easy to shoot, accurate as anything else, and easy to reload for. I shall be using Norma 7-08 brass, Fed GM210 primers unless I find differently, and look to be starting with some RL19 ( as I have some on the shelf) as per the Nosler manual. If anyone has better ideas on powder and so on, please advise me.

ATB

SakoAccubond.jpg

Disregard the hole on the far left, it was from previous zeroing, the 4 holes on the red BC dot make a .76" group and the one on the right was my fault, so essentially the rifle is better than I am , even with factory loads.

Tikka 260

Pete, you spent all that money on the rifle, now go and buy some new targets :)

Lovely looking rifle, I expect to see it in the flesh soon so you can stretch its legs.

Pete, you spent all that money on the rifle, now go and buy some new targets :)

Lovely looking rifle, I expect to see it in the flesh soon so you can stretch its legs.

Hi Ian

I wondered if anyone would notice the scruffy targets, well done you, for first mention !!

I'd love to get it reaching out a "bit", let me get some proper loads sorted at 100m this week if the rain gives over for a while, and then perhaps it can get a proper run.

ATB

P

Looks fantastic!

I'll be taking delivery of someting VERY similar looking in 6mmBR as soon as Nothants shake my ticket loose.

You have just made the the wait even worse :ph34r:

TC

Further along today, and an improvement on initial efforts!

I tried to load using RL19, and couldnt fit a meaningful load into the cases, so as I have some H414 it looked to be the next best thing to try.

Made the loads in .5 Gn increments from 44.0 -> 46.5 Gn , which is .5 Gn over the max shown in the Nosler book, but well within data shown on "Steves Pages" ....

Made the loads up using new Norma 7-08 brass,( NOT the Lapua shown on the target , thats a typo); FL resized, trimmed to length de burred etc. No neck turning, and no flash hole uniforming as the Norma brass doesn't appear to need it. I may be wrong on that ! 140 Gn Accubond and Federal GM210 primers complete the recipe. All rounds seated at nominal .025 off the lands as a starting bet on a good COL.

Well, all the loads gave under 1" and much to my surprise the largest load 0f 46.5Gn H414 gave .4" group at 110 yds. Velocity is 2858 fps average for the 3 rounds , 16fps variation. Looks like I won't have to look much further for a powder choice, unless someone has a good idea to try? Maybe Varget ?

SakoH414_1_7-08copy.jpg

There may be tunes to play on seating depth that will shrink the groups further, but that is getting to the limits of my shooting ability. The load is sweet to shoot, less recoil than the Federal Factory stuff too.

I think a couple of clicks left and she will be ready for the Fallow........

T260

Gorgeous gun Tikka, can i just ask though is there any advantage in putting a pictanny rail on. And who did it for you, or was it easy to do.

Thanks mark

...46.5Gn H414 gave .4" group at 110 yds. Velocity is 2858 fps average for the 3 rounds , 16fps variation. Looks like I won't have to look much further for a powder choice, unless someone has a good idea to try? Maybe Varget ?

T260

I wouldn't be looking any further if it were me.

For what it's worth, 44 of Varget in my T3 sporter behind a 140 AB is giving 2955fps and good accuracy. The pressure is up there but the primer pockets aren't loose after 4 reloads.

Chris-NZ

...46.5Gn H414 gave .4" group at 110 yds. Velocity is 2858 fps average for the 3 rounds , 16fps variation. Looks like I won't have to look much further for a powder choice, unless someone has a good idea to try? Maybe Varget ?

T260

For what it's worth, 44 of Varget in my T3 sporter behind a 140 AB is giving 2955fps and good accuracy. The pressure is up there but the primer pockets haven't loosened after 4 reloads.

Chris-NZ

Mark

Dasherman did the job, using a rail from Richard Near in Canada.

I think, and its only a think, that a picatinny rail helps to stiffen up the action somewhat and therefore aids consistency. This action has been fairly messed about and the rail makes me feel more comfortable about its accuracy potential.

If it was a Surgeon, Lawton, Borden et al, it would be plenty strong enough, but perhaps a relatively skinny and elegant Sako action needs all the rigidity that it can get ? Just my thoughts....

Also, I don't treat the rifles very gently, and the additional stiffness provided by the rail system seems to be more forgiving than say .... Optilocks...

Nothing against Optilocks, but they have been known to shift when mistreated.

Just as a 'for instance' ... The Ken Farrell rings on my Lawton 6.5 x55 have proved to be "bombproof"... I was looking for something similar for this rifle.

My thoughts....... FWIW

ATB

T260

For what it's worth, 44 of Varget in my T3 sporter behind a 140 AB is giving 2955fps and good accuracy. The pressure is up there but the primer pockets haven't loosened after 4 reloads.

Chris-NZ

Hi Chris...

That's a warm load for the 140 Gn A/B out of a 7-08, and most interesting to learn of.

Being an 'older fart' , I tend to go for comfort rather than speed, so I shall probably stick with something in the mid 2800's and that ought to do all I need from the calibre. Time will tell .

Thanks for your input, especially as the 7-08 is well thought of down there it is informative for anyone interested getting the best out of it.

ATB

T260

Thanks for your input, especially as the 7-08 is well thought of down there it is informative for anyone interested getting the best out of it.

T260

7-08 is apparently the number one selling deer calibre here, so my local dealer tells me

Nothing flash, just good reliable performance without busting the bank or your shoulder.

cheers

Chris

Archived