If you had to chose a factory 308 tactical rifle ?

you do know that the m85 beat all other 308's entered into the trails for a new uk sniper rifle ? even the ai

Urban myth? Or do you have any authoritative references? B)

[Always seems to me that the only people that 'dis' AIs are people that don't own or use AIs -and I suspect that the quote is an urban myth that, back in the mists of time, originated from such a source ....probably PH's salesmen when they lost :P ]

Well you know what i am going to say?????

Ai aw in 308 topped off with a sb 5x25x56 would be nice!!!!!!

Now do you think that i could fined a sponsor to lend me one for a year????? :P

Trigger is fully adjustable !!!! So that answer,s that statment made by one chap???? B)

Stock hummmm,,,,, Got to say it suits me,, And is adjustable to a point????

The action is more like a custom br gun,, Very smooth,,,,,,,,,

The only problem is the bloody price £££££££

just had an e-mail from greame at sporting services and he has got a few on the shelf ready for sale due to an order being cancelled ;):D

So go on boys,,,, fill ya boots :D:D

The proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say!!!!!!!!

donations for a schmit and bender 5x25x56 scope!!!! Greatefully accepted ?????????

Shooting clinics are being held at the Wrexham mealor hospital on the first monday of the month :D:D

2ND choice!!!!!!!!! Buy a CZ 308 :D;)

Well you know what i am going to say?????

Ai aw in 308 topped off with a sb 5x25x56 would be nice!!!!!!

Now do you think that i could fined a sponsor to lend me one for a year????? :P

Trigger is fully adjustable !!!! So that answer,s that statment made by one chap???? B)

Stock hummmm,,,,, Got to say it suits me,, And is adjustable to a point????

The action is more like a custom br gun,, Very smooth,,,,,,,,,

The only problem is the bloody price £££££££

just had an e-mail from greame at sporting services and he has got a few on the shelf ready for sale due to an order being cancelled ;):D

So go on boys,,,, fill ya boots :D:D

The proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say!!!!!!!!

donations for a schmit and bender 5x25x56 scope!!!! Greatefully accepted ?????????

Shooting clinics are being held at the Wrexham mealor hospital on the first monday of the month :D:D

2ND choice!!!!!!!!! Buy a CZ 308 :D;)

Thanks for the informed discussion so far.

I have worked on a few Parker Hales recently and yes Jamie they are nice, considering the ages the rifles must be now it is amazing they shoot so well.

There are a few available,,,,,my only reservation is the bolt, I personally dont like the full length extractor, but the decisions not set yet.

I have tooked at a couple on line a few set up for open sights (specifically peep sights) wonder if they come drilled and tapped for bases,,,anyone know?

Thanks for the invite by the way, would love to come down and see the veggies fly, maybe later in the year?

CZ, Darrell, no thanks, this isnt really on the list of possibles.

TRG, yes a consideration, but that two piece stock, hmmmm.

AI; AE or AW?

Had the AW, love it and loathed it at the same time, wonder if an AE would be for me, still the stock issue there, but,,,,,tick tick tick B) .

Blaser LRS 11, they certainly shoot, but that collet bolt,,,,,and me with "full house" 308 loads :P:D

Winchester M70, hadn't thought of that one IAn.

PSS, obvious consideration, as I love Rems, but is there better......

Sauer 3000, yep, like it, but its wooden stocked, I think, not laminate..

HS Precision, at that price, hmmm.

Keep em coming

Ive played with a couple of AI's and the whole stock trigger position is just wrong! No doubt they are accurate but thriggers are way to close to the hand grip.

How adjustable? How far forward can the blade be moved?

I've got gay small hands and even I think the trigger's too far back.

Urban myth? Or do you have any authoritative references? :ph34r:

[Always seems to me that the only people that 'dis' AIs are people that don't own or use AIs -and I suspect that the quote is an urban myth that, back in the mists of time, originated from such a source ....probably PH's salesmen when they lost :blush: ]

Brown dog I heard the same from someone who was at the shoot off.

Urban myth? Or do you have any authoritative references? :ph34r:

[Always seems to me that the only people that 'dis' AIs are people that don't own or use AIs -and I suspect that the quote is an urban myth that, back in the mists of time, originated from such a source ....probably PH's salesmen when they lost :blush: ]

yes mate there is proof just google about it and its a fact

yes I would love an ai and wouldnt dream of dissin one but given that not all of us have got enough cash to splash if someone found a good ph say 1200tx and it shot like the many we are now using (sub 1/4" and often into the .1's at around £175 to £300 its worth the risk

doin some serious home work about ph's on google will normally only turn up good things about their target rifles and it would seem that state side love em

the versions we are on about were used by australia, canada and several other country's as their sniper rifle

canada started using the 1200tx then actions were changed to the squarer one as the m85 uses and it was called the c3, I read recently that amazingly there are still some in service even in afghan

like I say, I would love an ai but I dont think it would shoot any better ( but would love one anyhows)

Hi guys,

When i made the statement that the trigger was adjustable,,, I ment in its weight, Not in the actual geometry of the trigger????

I have to agree that this could be better??? But it is nothing that cannot be over come!!!

With the sides of the stock being plastic,,It would be possible to alter to the shape of your hand very easy!!

I think that there was an artical in one of the mags last month were Rob hunter had done such a mod?????

Keep them comeing boys!!!!!! WHAT NO OFERS FOR A S&B THEN??????

I know one person that likes to have a couple in his bottom draw at home????? But he has not bit

Moses

thanks I stand corrected re the Sauer stock.

Panther

I recal that Rem Law Enforcement and Military catalogue had a tac 700 which was in an A5, it was top end price and I would eat my hat if the UK importers offered this here.

Re the AW triggers, the easiest fix for the short pull is to fit a trigger shoe, there are loads available, but I think Anchutz do one that fits pretty well.

Jamie

hadn't thought of Armalon, recall you mentioned last year they had bought PH barrel making equipment, may look harder at PH's as you rightly say, they are that cheap you could by and try and if one didnt like you wouldnt lose much at all..

"TRG, yes a consideration, but that two piece stock, hmmmm."

The rear half of the stock mounts to the chassis, the bipod mounts directly to the chassis, the front half...you know the story....

How many pices to an AI stock ? :ph34r: Yes I know it splits the other way !

TC

Well Lads ,

As you have probably gathered i am over the moon with my Parker Hale TX1200!!! :blush:

But if money was no object , this is what i would love to get..................

IMG_0125-1.jpg

Made by prairie gunworks ( formaly ) in Canada , its a timberwolf ( 338 ) but they made a 308 version too!! ( if i remember right! )...........

Failing that , a accuracy international... :wub:

All the best...............

RAY.................................... :lol::ph34r:

Dave

HK out is is auto loader and Sect 5, no no no!

Ray

PGW Timberwolf :ph34r::blush::wub:

Yes, love it, but try getting one, I spent 6 months negotiating with PGW over a 338 Timberwolf before dropping the idea as "too hard to do" and building my own 338.

I would love to see the 308 version, but my guess is you wont see one on the shores of the UK available for sale.

I love the Sako TRG. I'd buy one of them!

I have to be honest and say I haven't fired many tactical type rifles, but I've shot a Parker Hale with a heavy barrel and a TRG22. The TRG is amazing! I was shooting 700 yards with one on Tuesday and it is so comfortable to use I found it almost impossible to miss. They fit me so well it's like a glove and they almost aim for you!

I have a Trg22 - 308 win currently in storage /for sale. Found it very accurate like all sako's . Only shot it to 300 m used 167 g factory lapua but good results.

What I don't like about the TRG is the recoil, for such a heavy gun it seems to be severe enough.(maybe I'm not man enough for such a big gun) :angry:. I did a bit off the bench with it what a smack :P ! especially when compared to other lighter sporters in 308win. I had a reflex T8 on it which tamed the whole thing down (but this makes the whole package a crazy weight ). Never had a brake , they are supposed to be very useful. However the range doesn't allow them in competitions.

In the current econ.. situation no takers for a sale on this level of rifle so I thinking that I will hang on to it . Also with our nutty anti gun minister's over here, I might not get the chance to buy a rifle of this type again!

IMG_0066.jpg

Would love to try an Accuracy Int to see how they compare, But mad money. :D

Dave

Dave

HK out is is auto loader and Sect 5, no no no!

Ray

PGW Timberwolf :angry::P:D

Yes, love it, but try getting one, I spent 6 months negotiating with PGW over a 338 Timberwolf before dropping the idea as "too hard to do" and building my own 338.

I would love to see the 308 version, but my guess is you wont see one on the shores of the UK available for sale.

I know I said as much in my firs post but if I could have any that would be the bad boy I would go for, even unmoderated in .308 felt recoil is only that of a .243 or there abouts.

Have a look at the M85 , for years I dismissed IT , because i was not keen on the Mauser wobby bolt & big ass extractor .

I now know better , and it really is a very good SWS , JUST get over the Mauser action bit , forget It and If you start thinking " I donot like the feel of this action " , tell your self , its a special in built sloppyness for reliable operation ,

If I ever see another I will buy it , as long as its not more expensive than a AW .

The only flaw , is the mounts donot come in 30mm or larger , which means a custom ring type mount to mount 30mm or larger scopes .

Later Chris

A few random thoughts......european may be easier to get than US products in future.

German rifles tend to be as ergonomic as a breeze-block (thinking DSR 1 and Unique Alpine) though Blaser and Sig SSG 3k do better in that department - all have bolt to barrel locking which ties you into OEM barrels and choices or lack of.

Sako TRG, had one, good rifle - broke the stock and also the stock (2 piece clamp) shows movement when fired under slow motion video. Not keen on the hammer forged barrel and lack of a easily changeable barrel. The trigger is great for comps but less than ideal for a tactical rifle as the shoe can be pulled off.

Home grown - RPA and AI (Parker Hale, now defunct). Had a M85 and M87. The only think they beat the AI at was being more agricultural - I remember a conversation I had with Romel (Helston Gunsmiths) he said the quality was no surprise - most work was being farmed out to Spain. Really not that great.

RPA - done that, great target rifle excellent target trigger - plenty of barrel options and a tacticool Rangemaster stock or Interceptor traditional. Feature stuff like match chamber, fast lock time and the 4 lugs are said to gain accuracy with factory ammunition. Shame the company has changed hands and a really good gunsmith left for shores new.

AI - robust and accurate, about the only rifle purpose built as a sniper rifle and its features reflect that - good trigger but mainly will always work - good barrel choices (button or cut OEM barrels) and aftermarket also no problem. Features things like a max spec chamber (really big) so plenty of wobble with factory ammunition. The thing is the stock - love or hate it, if you love it buy it it is the best purpose built sniper rifle. Hate the stock - move on.

Surgeon Scalpel - best Remmy 700 action tactical type rifle available. The question is one of if a A5 stock suits better than an AI stock. (want a m2008 action - buy an AI).

So my short list would be either a AI or if that did not feel right a Surgeon Scalpel. Also I would give a lot of thought to a Tubb T2K tactical. I don't have not shot or played with one but........ I would take Mr. Tubbs word for it.

AI is a purpose built sniper rifle, Surgeon is the best of a remmy hunting action, and the T2k was designed to be the best across the course target rifle - the thing is it was designed to "fit" the shooter - and seems to take the best bits of design from Mr. Tubbs experience of many bolt action rifles and a SR25 and put them in one design. Evidently it works for Mr. Tubb.

I have seen the steel safari video by Zak Smith showing T2k screw-ups but the rifles feature set make it less "robust" than an AI. Depends what features you want - an AI trigger or a match Annie trigger on the T2k, ergonomic or bomb proof.

I would try to look less at the name and paint job and more at what feature are desired.

David.

The excition of the M85 maybe a little rough , BUT it is a purpose designed action/rifle , It has a much longer tunion ( barrel thread in ) , to properly support a heavy barrel .

The overal design of the M85 , I like , it is quite a bit removed from your run of the mill Mauser type sporting rifles , I would think being a more enclosed action would make it far more rigid a action , is it prefect , NO , but nothing IS .

I would like a easier way of mounting the current trend of 30-34mm scopes , but thats about all , the trigger is also vastly different from std Mausers .

And YES , I actually own one , I took 3 yrs of looking .

Later Chris

Although its not a std factory SWS , I think a M2008 dropped into a McMillan McHale stock would be awesome .

Archived