If you had to chose a factory 308 tactical rifle ?

Simple really, but hopefully will promote an interesting discussion.

I was discussing the subject with a friend who shoots a 308 in comps for factory rifles only.

So the question is this;

if you were considering a 308, what would you buy and why?

Budget is unimportant, so is brand.

Jamie and Ray have proved that a good Parker Hale is the equal of any custom, so an M85 may be considered (or similar)

Then we have Rem PSS, Tikka Tacs, Sako TRG22, AI AW, AI AE, Sauer 3000, CZ Tactical, Blaser LRS2, etc etc etc...

The over riding factor is accuracy followed by durability and longevity.

Please discuss :)

Budget unimportant ???? ummm don't think many people are in that option really.

With the price of the optics rising dramatically recently then the budget would be better spent on these.

So with these things considered I would go for a Remy VS or PSS.

By the time you add decent optics, mounts and all the other crap you are going to be well over £2k anyway. Shoot it out and get used to the wind and then custom barrel if the rules allow.

Having said all that I still fancy a sako trg diddle dum didddle dum :)

There are two HS 2000 rifles for sale 2nd hand on guntrader and Viking Arms brings in HS Precision from the US.

Keep em coming, thanks so far.

Eldon, theoretical unlimited budget.

Must be factory rifle though.

Kepplinger, Unique Alpine, Brugger & Thomet, RPA rangemaster, etc etc etc

Kepp em coming.

Know there will be a few exposnats of Accuracy International chirping in soon....

I hope :)

That's the fellah. A bit more than £1900 imported into the UK. My rfd said he he could import one for me no problem as he's an international dealer.

Bit of a problem unless they had one in stock, the wait time could be up to 18 months :) , they also come in green. I was going to have one but couldn't face the long wait.

This rifle was tested by the FBI and dropped 4ft onto concrete from various angles, submerged for 24hrs and allowed to dry naturally, no oiling or fettling and still had to shoot half moa. It also had to be able to maintain the same half moa after 5000 rounds which it did, this is the reason it was to be my choice in .308 as those that know me understand the beating my rifles tend to get.

Pete.

A H-S from viking arms, sporter version was advertised at the shooting show for £4200. a little more the $1900..........

I got a quote for a H-S Precision HTR for £2300 last year. My rfd is an international dealer and this price was inclusive of carriage and all duties. He's a section 7 dealer and knows his way around the firearms import/export buisness and shifts around 700 weapons a week both here and abroad.

Pete.

I was actually buying a H-S HTR until the purchase was cocked up! I ended up with a TRG instead.

I would go for the AI AW for no other reason than I'm biased, plus it's British and the yanks dig em which can't be a bad thing.

IF I had to pick one for myself , it would be the Unique Alpine :)

I have had the pleasure of shooting one of these babies at Senibridge, it belongs to 6MMBR (Dave)

For me it was so comfortable to shoot I fell in love with the thing.

Just missed one in Minstily this week for a bargin of £1500 , but that was in 300win .

With the 308 bolt face series you can interchange barrels by undoing a couple of grub screws , no gunsmith work involved ;) .

hi guys,

well i did and went for the remmy 700 p the sniper special has been dropped in these politicaly correct times . out of the box with a wildcat p12 moderator and its shooting sub inch groups with magtech 150s using the magic 44 grain of varget it will shoot as small a group as i can hold it for shooting off the side of a round bale but the local roe population aint liking it using some 125 soft points they drop where they are hit furthest was six bounds.

i brought it to do a job ie take deer but with a bit of paper punching for practise most of mine have to be taken on open fields so most shots are at a minium of 100 mtrs but most are falling around the 180 to 200 meter range and you need a accurate rifle that will repeat the point of aim .

it definately isnt a long walk stalking gun for the mountains of scotland but my find by quad and glassing then foot stalking to get a safe shot and back stop its perfectly ok surpose if you want to get really fussy you could say its a poor mans semi custom is so far as its fully bedded in the hs stock that it is fitted with and you get a 26 " barrel fitted as standard which is on a 700 action now mine is a g prefix which they say is one of the first runs on the new cnc machinery and they are as accurate as a blued and trued action i certainly wouldnt want to pull it all apart to find out until the barrel needs changing a few thousand rounds down the line .

i am a farmer and as such it has to work for a living so it on the bike rack in the truck with the dog or down in the mud shooting off a ditch bank its practical and it works so suits my needs perfectly and besides its not to bad for foxes on a gale force night when they think its safe to come out to play. they certainly dont know whats hit em.

graham.

For me it would have to be a Win. Model 70 Stealth, which was the civilian labelling for what was actually the Mk1 FN Special Police.

Selected actions and hard chrome lined barrels all in a HS-Precision stock assembled by FN.USA.

I had one in 300WSM but would love the 308 Version, They were actually slightly cheaper then the equivalent Remmy VS when new.

Ian.

In 308 , I only short list 2 ,

AI AW

PH M85

Have used the TRGs and Rems , and looked at most others , but the 2 I always come back too , are the rifles above .

Thats my 2 cents worth .

Later Chris

For me it would have to be a Win. Model 70 Stealth, which was the civilian labelling for what was actually the Mk1 FN Special Police.

Selected actions and hard chrome lined barrels all in a HS-Precision stock assembled by FN.USA.

I had one in 300WSM but would love the 308 Version, They were actually slightly cheaper then the equivalent Remmy VS when new.

Ian.

Ian the old mans got one of these, many years and many rounds later it still shoots just over 1/2 MOA at 400m. But having said that it's not quite as accurate as my Steyr SSG B) I've had that at 1/2 MOA all the way out to 600m

Cheers

Clive

Ive played with a couple of AI's and the whole stock trigger position is just wrong! No doubt they are accurate but thriggers are way to close to the hand grip.

Simple really, but hopefully will promote an interesting discussion.

I was discussing the subject with a friend who shoots a 308 in comps for factory rifles only.

So the question is this;

if you were considering a 308, what would you buy and why?

Budget is unimportant, so is brand.

Jamie and Ray have proved that a good Parker Hale is the equal of any custom, so an M85 may be considered (or similar)

Then we have Rem PSS, Tikka Tacs, Sako TRG22, AI AW, AI AE, Sauer 3000, CZ Tactical, Blaser LRS2, etc etc etc...

The over riding factor is accuracy followed by durability and longevity.

Please discuss B)

hi mate, you need a visit to armalon's website, they own and use parker hales drawn hammer forging machinery for their pr rifles

they are proud of the fact and quote things like parker hale target bbl's are good to go for thousands of rounds

infact and they quote " known to peak in accuracy at around ten thousand rounds"

If I were you I nwould souce a good condition m82-83 or m85 or 1200 tx, go shoot and fall in love and enjoy for ages then give armalon a tinkle when ya fancy a new tube

come down for a weekend ( we have a guest room) and shoot half a dozen parker hales and fall in love

you do know that the m85 beat all other 308's entered into the trails for a new uk sniper rifle ? even the ai

sadly ph werent to offer it in 300wm and 338lm and skinned stocks so ai won

hi mate, you need a visit to armalon's website, they own and use parker hales drawn hammer forging machinery for their pr rifles

they are proud of the fact and quote things like parker hale target bbl's are good to go for thousands of rounds

infact and they quote " known to peak in accuracy at around ten thousand rounds"

If I were you I nwould souce a good condition m82-83 or m85 or 1200 tx, go shoot and fall in love and enjoy for ages then give armalon a tinkle when ya fancy a new tube

come down for a weekend ( we have a guest room) and shoot half a dozen parker hales and fall in love

you do know that the m85 beat all other 308's entered into the trails for a new uk sniper rifle ? even the ai

sadly ph werent to offer it in 300wm and 338lm and skinned stocks so ai won

B):P:D;) ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Archived