Softie Sleeka alternatives

brown dog

The problem is that there are too many condition variables to have a one Jacket that does it all as the Jacket will provide a perfect solution to a certain condition and then uncomfortable solutions to the others  ... You need to layer with a system that suits your body so keeping warm air in when it's cold and have the ability to dump warm air when needed .

Your layers need to deal with external conditions and then the Internal ones created by your activity rate .

For example ;

Merino wool base layer  ............  Smartwool or Arcteryx Rho etc

Mid layer ......... Fleece or ultra light down or Light synthetic  ........ Mountain Equipment Concordia or Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer or Acteryx Atom LT etc ..... If down then Ultra light with min 800 fill

Light weight wind layer ........ Arcteryx Squamish or Paramo Bentu  etc

Hard Shell for rain .......... Arcteryx Alpha LT or SV  or any other Gortex Pro shell ...... Bigger size to allow for the layers

Soft Shell  ...... Something to wear Instead of the Mid layers when the weather is calm dry and normal .......... Mountain Equipment Vulcan or Arcteryx Gamma LT or MX etc

For standing around in extreme cold then another layer of either Synthetic or Down ..........Arcteryx Dually or  ME Lightline ...... So many more

I use a 30L pack that I throw in the car or truck whenever i go out that will cover me in whatever conditions i encounter .

This sound a lot but there are a lot of conditions

The above is just my choice but you dont need to spend this amount for it to work well however you will make mistakes until you get what suits your exact needs .... Remember this is just the top half   !!!😄

Just my opinion

OSOK

OSOK etc al  - thanks, many spot-on ideas; but I was just simply after a sleeka equivalent to act, in essence, as a belay jacket in something non-tacticool (although my move was rather more prompted by my green/sand coats (4 - don't ask!) coming to feel a little self-consciously 'man at surplus store' if I wear them for anything other than belay-type (well, coming off the water after marathon kayak training) use!). 

For mountain stuff, I'm generally in the Brynje (Google it, 'arrest on sight' kit, but really works if you're going to sweat) and paramo layering.  

I was just going to say Paramo if it works for you, it doesn't for everyone, those who run hot struggle with it.

One of my favourite jackets I haver to say is Rab xenon hoodie, it is just so versatile: very light but very warm, massive pockets that you can get a hand in when wearing thick mitts and they also hold a bottle of wine very well and also Nalgene bottles with ease. Hood is snug enough to wear under a helmet or over a beanie, adjustable waist toggle and one inside chest pocket that will handle a large phone and is also the jacket stuff-sack.

For a while I made good use of Paramo torres smock (don't think they make smock anymore) it is sized for overlayering, we got issued them on MRT, its ok when you have a decent sized pack to put it in, small and light it isn't.

I come back to the Rab xenon - washed in techwash and proofed in nikwax, handles heavy showers, easy to wash and dry, works well at walking pace and at jogging pace. Love it!

There is another item I like a lot, Arcteryx Atom sl vest - this has proven to be a really great item too, far better than the similar Patagonia which is heavier and sweatier! The Atom vest is very versatile with regard to warmth to weight and breathability, and based on 18 months of use, It would prompt me to perhaps buy the Atom sl hoodie just to see how it compares to the Rab xenon.