Back down to earth..

I shot 900y electronic at Bisley yesterday..  the last time I shot 900 I had a string of 9 consecutive V Bulls, then last week I was at 300y 10V bulls in a row.. I have the photos 🙂.

This week, same rifle, same ammo, one lane away,  same Dope.  First shot not even in the black. check everything tight all Ok, Sterlok readings OK. Dial in a correction well at least i doubled by score to a 2. try again.  At the end of about 20mins I had produced almost an exact facimille of a shot gun pattern plate.  2 take aways..

Ain't wind a bitch, and Im nowhere near as good as i hoped I was!

We've had similar experiences using the Intarso electronics at 900 and 600 yds, but we've always recorded much better results using the Shotmarker & Kongsberg systems at 300yds.

Obviously the shorter distance helps, but when you've had 3 or 4 V's at 600 yds, and then the rest of the ten are spread all over the place, you can't help thinking is it me or is something wrong with the target system.

What we did find with the Intarso system was that we got much better groups by aiming off centre.

Pete

I've had the experience of according to the target at 1000 I wasn't even on target this using my FTR rig with a proven load I then asked if I could shoot into the sand I then proved my point that I was spot on to the RCO whoe I've shot with many times so I was aloud to switch to the next target lane only to record the best score ever on the Fclass target I don't believe the score! Pete statement sums it up completely.

Thats  it for me it's paper only with a proper compertant marker and yes I know how bad some markers can be I had a terrible time at this years three day comp shooting my usual 300wsm open gun. As one one known member let it be known the worst marking he's ever had in twenty years. 

The NRA need to sort the target situation out that's both paper and electronic they know it's going on but put thier heads in the sand.The A team of markers we have at past Europeans have bean fantastic and of a standard that enables a shooter to make accurate adjustments.

No marker No feed back No score!!

As far as I can ascertain, the Intarso system relies on the bullet passing through two rubber membranes. The vibrations are picked up by three sensors along the base of each frame, and this enables the software to plot the position of the hit by triangulation.

The Shotmarker and Kongsberg systems detect sonic "boom" as the bullet passes through what is effectively an open cube with a sensor at each corner. The only downside is that the round must be supersonic as it passes through the target face.

If you happen to get to use the Intarso's immediately after the membranes (which are consumables) have been replaced, you will get very accurate feedback. However, if the centre has been shot out over a busy weekend.........

With the other types, there doesn't appear to be any maintenance other than replacing the target face, or a sensor if one gets shot.

Pete

It was so bad at the Three days of competition that with a decent spotting Scope with the targets  at half mast you could easily see that they were patched and left on from the day before so got wet and soggy over night! No wonder the complaints were coming thick and fast.

The NRA need to invest in maintaining the frames or better still replace them with new ones pay and train markers so markers are rewarded a bonus system would be easy to work out.

I have used electronics in all events small bore and full bore for many years, probably since electronics have become available,  both here and abroad and I can honestly say that they are as close to being 100% reliable as it is possible to be, IF they are maintained correctly. It appears that it is a big IF!!!

I have no experience of the Intarso or Shotmarker, but extensive experience of Kongsbergs here, and Suis Ascor abroad.

I shoot 300 mt at Bisley in the "shed" at Bisley, we have Kongsbergs , we move the rear rubber before every week end, even training, most shooters do a full match coursof 60 shots plus sighters so probably 70 shots each, at 300 mts there are a lot of shots in the small area, but problems are very rare as long as the back rubber is moved reasonably regularly, a target is perfectly satisfactory over a week end with nothing other than pre shoot attention, and that use could be a 1000 plus shots in a busy week end. They can not be patched effectively and when shot out and rotated fully must be replaced.

When we shoot abroad, in competitions the targets are checked and rotated or replaced after every detail and there is a paper backer so claimed non appearing hits or challenges on score can be checked .

Its the way to go, but the systems must be good quality, and well maintained.

Have Fun

Robin

Thanks for that, Robin, I stand corrected........I didn't realise the Kongsbergs used a similar technology to the Intarsos.

That would explain our ability to get good groups at 600yds by aiming at the bull and applying a couple of  MOA windage or elevation  to bring the POI off-centre, ie on a fresh bit of unperforated rubber.

Pete