Depriming Lapua 6.5 cases

cheshirelad

Anyone out there that deprimes Lapua 6.5 creedmoor cases before annealling.

I currently use a Lee depriming die for my other calibers but the Lapua cases uses  a 1.5mm flash hole rather than a 2mm one.

Problem is that the depriming pin is too big for the smaller hole.

Just wondering what people use.

38 minutes ago, cheshirelad said:

Anyone out there that deprimes Lapua 6.5 creedmoor cases before annealling.

I currently use a Lee depriming die for my other calibers but the Lapua cases uses  a 1.5mm flash hole rather than a 2mm one.

Problem is that the depriming pin is too big for the smaller hole.

Just wondering what people use.

Always,  absolutely essential for molten salt annealing.   I use a Redding universal de-capper,  it fits Lapua small primer flash hole no bother.

4 minutes ago, cheshirelad said:

Redding universal decapper will not decap a 1.5mm flash hole according to Redding's customer service department, now I'm confused.

It does,  I use it regularly to de-cap my 6.5CM small primer brass.

I can't recall if it came with an optional smaller pin?  I'll go and have a look for you.

Well, that's interesting:

The pin is 1.56mm according to my micrometer.  The hole is supposed to be 1.5mm.  The pin fits nicely (see pic).

It's only a few thou over size so the Lapua brass spec may be on the larger side tolerance hence it fits (it fits all 100 off).

Can't guarantee it'll fit another batch of Lapua cases but I have a lathe....

IMG_2726.JPG

For what it's worth.............I use a bog standard Lee de-capper which has a 1.58mm pin. I just tried it in some new Lapua cases in 6BR, 6.5x47, and 223 by dropping the case base first on to the pin...............they all dropped on under their own weight.  The 223 cases were a tad looser fit than the others.

Pete

My Lee universal depriming pin was too large to deprime my 6.5x47 brass (small flash hole).

I chucked up the depriming pin in my cordless drill and span it round with some fine grit sandpaper dabbed with olive oil in the hands.

A few seconds later and it fit fine, depriming no problem.