chrono's

After using a CED device for a few months I got fed up with its "idiosynchrancies" and bought and Oehler 35, never looked back.

Ultra reliable with 3 screens and proof channel it is supposed to be one of the most accurate about.

Cost was about £200 five years ago.

Would like a model 43 as well but cannot justify expense :rolleyes:

.. bought and Oehler 35, never looked back.

Ultra reliable with 3 screens and proof channel it is supposed to be one of the most accurate about.

Would like a model 43 as well but cannot justify expense :rolleyes:

The 43 is definitely the beez kneez but sodding expensive. I use my clubmates' one occasionally but you really need the strain gauges to take full advantage. The real-life BC calcs are useful. There's nothing wrong with their old 35P either.

If I just want casual measurements, my Pact does the trick. Haven't managed to scone a screen but it'll come..

Chris-NZ

I use a Chrony and find it to be very reliable. When I was over in the States we tested a Chrony against an Oehler and the velocity accuracy was the same on both . If you just want a readout of the velocity to use in another program then the Chrony will definitely do the job.

I do similar to what you are hoping to do and the chrony is perfectly acceptable for the job at a relatively cheap price.

I don't think this is a rolls royce by any means and feel sure there is better kit available but for what you sound like your after the additional expense probably wouldn't be justified.

Carry a spare pp3 or you'll kick yourself once your set up ........ don't ask how I know :rolleyes:

After using a CED device for a few months I got fed up with its "idiosynchrancies" and bought and Oehler 35, never looked back.

Cost was about £200 five years ago.

Would like a model 43 as well but cannot justify expense :o

Oehlers are a nice unit but unfortunately, Oehler no longer makes chronographs and have no Model 35 or 43's left.

I was testing some ammo that was returned to a manufacturer and a squib round hit my Chrony. They offered to buy me the Chrono of my choice and I picked Oehler. No dice! Got another Chrony with tape readout. No regrets.~Andrew

Had a CED, I did not like it. Sold it and bought a cheaper Chrony. Now happy.

David.

Same experience for me with the CED as Andy & David, had nothing but trouble and returned it to The Sportsman. Swapped to the Chrony, had no issue's to date ;);)

Cheers Steve

Andrew

as far as I am aware, the Oehler family are still in business and are planning to relaunch the Mod 35 and 43.

There is an industrial version of the 35 still in production, but I am unaware of the price.

Spares and service (if required) are readily available from them for the 35's.

Should I ever need another chronograph, (for isntance if / when I ever get around to making my own bullets) it will be another 35 or a 43....

They do come up on auction sites occasionally, but get snapped up quickly.

Archived