Lead Exposure

Popsbengo

With regard to dry vibratory cleaning does anyone else have concerns about the potential for airborne lead exposure? 

I avoid dry vibration cleaning of fired brass without first ultrasonic cleaning as primers are lead styphnate so there's the potential for a build-up of lead in the media and the dust that gets created.  My vibratory polisher is in a well ventilated shed and I dump the polishing media regularly (it's dirt cheap from industrial blast-cleaning suppliers).  When decanting the brass and separating it from the media quite a lot of dust can be airborne so I pop on a dust mask.

I think these are sensible actions to take.   For sure, people who do dry-vibration clean fired brass in their house should really think again about breathing in the dust.

Any other thoughts?

A genuine hazard Pops. I dry tumble in a well ventilated detached garage and also change the media regularly, carefully into a bag and subsequently the general waste bin.

I mitigate the risk by never trying to bulk separate the brass from the media. I literally rummage through and pull each case out individually, again, whilst in the garage with the door open.

I always thoroughly wash my hands afterwards before touching anything else in the house. I don’t notice any dust in the air during this process..... I know dead scientific that, but figure I’m not subjecting myself to regular exposure and I do have significant dilution ventilation. I’d never knock anyone for wearing a dust mask but I’d probably go for an FFP2 grade if I were choosing to wear one.

This concern was one of the main reasons why I ditched the dry tumbling in favour of US.

I would always use nitrile gloves when handling the brass afterwards to remove media stuck in flash hole (use a toothpick) and wipe cases with a cloth to remove fine dust film on outside of case.

It was this fine film of dust that I hated floating around. You get it when the machine is running and when opening the lid, but definitely noticeable when wiping cases down afterwards.

And it’s not just the leading, it’s all the other noxious chemicals that result from the primer and powder residue becoming fine dust too.  

Working in and on ranges most days of the week I get my lead levels checked when I get my cholesterol checked and have done for many years now since the range limits went to 1000(500)/week or 26000/year. It goes up and down usually as a result of a long stint indoors or out respectively but has always been well below the recommended levels (50μg/dl).

A well ventilated and regularly cleaned indoor range is probably why it hasn't been a concern and I guess if you are only worried about your tumbling dust, keeping it in a ventilated area should cause no issues as I guess the lead exposure from that is a lot less than the indoor range.

On 9/27/2020 at 9:27 AM, Popsbengo said:

With regard to dry vibratory cleaning does anyone else have concerns about the potential for airborne lead exposure? 

I avoid dry vibration cleaning of fired brass without first ultrasonic cleaning as primers are lead styphnate so there's the potential for a build-up of lead in the media and the dust that gets created.  My vibratory polisher is in a well ventilated shed and I dump the polishing media regularly (it's dirt cheap from industrial blast-cleaning suppliers).  When decanting the brass and separating it from the media quite a lot of dust can be airborne so I pop on a dust mask.

I think these are sensible actions to take.   For sure, people who do dry-vibration clean fired brass in their house should really think again about breathing in the dust.

Any other thoughts?

Yes right on track, I separate media with a rotary basket covered, from Cabela's  taking care to allow the internal dust to settle before opening. Return to tumbler I turn the tumbler on and the media flows pretty much dust free to the bowl.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2020 at 9:54 PM, One on top of two said:

One of the reasons why I made the change to a wet rotary tumbler , no dust , just rise with clean water and dry in separate dedicated case drier . Job done 👍

Yep same here and with added bonus of cases cleaned inside as well.