Leupold Mk5/6

topscots1

Looking at opinions on the Leupold Mk5 or 6 scopes in general.  Have also contemplated a Optika six with calibre specific reticle.

likeley going on a stalking/ occasional target rifle.  

or what else would you recommend.

1. Must be dialable

2. budget up to 2k

3.  Illuminate or not not fussed.

4. Tube size unimportant will need new rings either way.

Friend of mine who is pro culler uses one and likes it (Mk 5HD I think)

Another friend had one on a Precision Rifle Comp gun and hated it - so swapped back to his S&B

I dont think you could go wrong with a PM11 4-16 illuminated with P4Fein ret

They come up well under that budget and will do all you ask

Or a send hand Kahles k318 / k525 (which are rarer) with MSR2 ret

Have both S&B and Kahles - wouldnt go to Leup having used both in "anger" in multiple animal scenarios

I have and use regularly a Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56 IR 35mm 

very good low light ( as good as my Swarovski X5i  ) very good turrets , mechanically faultless dialling out to 1500 m ( tested ) and a proper TMR retical .and very light for a big scope .! 

have a read on tracking tests too . 

personally I would push a pile any of the wanna be urban operator  s+bs out the way to get my hands on one of these all day long . 

Haven’t come across many chaps selling Schmidt’s sporting weathered faces, overgrown beards and shemaghs in my experience 

They do make fine pieces of optical equipment though - some I’ve had for 15-20 years of regular use - used in competition and for intensive culling 

its a highly subjective and personal choice really - my advice to the op would be go somewhere you can look through a variety of brands side by side and decide then 

Everyones eyes different 

Ronin, one on top of two.

thank you Schmidt and bender points noted.  Having used the Schmidt and bender it is a great scope.  But having used them at work for the best part of the last twenty years from the old 6x42 up to the 5-25.  Although only occasionally sporting a beard when water was low.  And hated shemaghs, much prefer the DPM snood.  Not very fashionable but comfortable. And certainly weathered more through my years sunbathing Coated in baby oil rather than hard work.

I like to put something different on my own rifles, I have a nice NX8 whinging it’s way slowly from the states.  Thought I would give Leupold’s new offering a try.  The outsider at the minute is the Meopta Optika 6. Quite well priced just not many in use here yet.  

Ace reply Ian 😂😂

I hadn't considered Meopta - they do make a good scope and spotter, met the owner a few times at Czech comps but that’s another story

Their glass is good and their warranty sound 

From what I’ve read mk 5&6 are supposed to be excellent scopes and lightweight compared to its competitors. Only trouble with Leupold is that in the U.K. the pricing seems ridiculous and not warranted in my opinion and there does seem to QC issues in the states with quite a few duff ones churned out. However get yourself a good one I’m sure it would be lovely.

If you like something different have you thought about some of March’s new offerings or soon to be released ones.

edit - just seen the 2k budget. Ignore the March comment then! 

Initial thoughts:

Preowned:

S&B Ultra short 3 or 5-20x50

S&B PM 4-16x50

March 3-24x52 

Kahles 3-18x50 

Minox ZP5 3-15x50

New you have quite a few options along with SFP  

Although quite rare in the U.K. in Mil variant and illuminated consider saving some money and looking at Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x44

This is the model I use for long distance ( has 35 Mrad elev) and currently sitting on my .300 Norma Magnum 

https://www.uttings.co.uk/p131461-leupold-mark-5hd-5-25x56-ir-35mm-rifle-scope-leu-171776/#.XzmWOC14WhA

Out of all my class glass my Kahles K525i is still my go to scope , just love the thing ❤️

Thanks all,

I prefer FFP Meopta is looking good.

i have spoken to optics warehouse they have some good deals on as per.  

marky mark,

those are the ones I am looking at.  Good prices for what they are the optika 6 is swaying my mind a little seems a lot of scope for the money. 

If you do get one could you review it on here as it looks ideal for your purpose and budget parameter 

I’d never heard of that model so would be interested as I’m sure many others on here would be 

Struggling to find the optima 6 anywhere in the U.K. I settled well not really settling on a 4-16  PM 2 which will remain on my 6.5. Bought an interim ZEISS to cover the 308. 

still tempted by the Leupold or Steiner M 5xi 

cutting my budget down to 1500 on this one so used is key.  I can stretch it a little for the right scope.    The Minox ZP comes highly recommended as well.    

thanks for everyone’s input.  Now I just need to find some time to get out shooting. 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Ronin said:

The Meopta are in stock at Macleod s now 

Optika6 model 

I’m not sure whether that’s all of them or just the 3-18 in SFP. The American market have taken up a load of the Optika6s as by all accounts they’re very good value for money.

I’ve got a 4.5-27x50 FFP MRAD on order but the dealer isn’t sure when it’ll land. Once I get my hands on it I’ll post my thoughts but it won’t be until the new year at least!