Hornady 147 eld

SMLE

Hi folks,

Im struggling to get a decent group with these fancy 147’s in my Howa 6.5 Creedmoor.

Has anyone got a pet load for these that they wouldn’t mind sharing? Preferably someone with Howa experience. The same load my mate uses in his Tikka Tac A1 with deadly precision when replicated in my rifle gets at best a 2” group at 100 yards.

Ive been seating about 10 thou off the lands to about 30 thou off, all with no real promise, and gone through my normal ladder test routine for charge weight. Since running out of bullets from my original box I hear seating to the lands might be a good thing to do for those rifles that struggle with these bullets when seated more traditionally a little way off.

Before I buy another box it would be great to hear others experience, again, particularly if you’ve had success with them through a Howa.

Thanks in advance

8 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

is it the same twist as KL's Tikka ?

Yes and good point, 1:8

Subtle differences in build quality might be having an influence.

Considering the Berger 140 hybrids as an alternative.... you might guess that I’m chasing the mile in a few weeks 😁. My 139 scenar favourites might be ok but just wanted another string to the old bow

The 7mm 180gr ELDM's like just touching..

I went to bisley for a practice session last Sunday shooting on the electronics at 1000yds.

Between 2 of us in a morning and a afternoon session fired about 190 shots. I fired 73 x 184gr hybrids loads in my well worn barrel and I took 5 x 7mm saum cartridges loaded with the 180gr ELDM's and 2 out the 5 didn't register and theyre the only shots that didn't register all day.. we were hoping to see a blow up with our own eyes.. if they did it was further out than we were looking. I didn't see blow up through the scope.

I’ve been using RS62 Scooby only because I have a load (if you’ll pardon the pun). Getting speeds around 2700.

Ive heard tell of the blow ups No I Deer but those I know who shoot them have never experienced it.

I read something on the internet the other day about touching the lands, so thought it must be true 😁 Seems there might be some mileage in it then?

Thanks guys.