1-4-1 question.

martin_b

Guys I have 2 rimfire rifles on my FAC, I want to sell one, a 10/22  and replace it with a Anshutz target rifle.  Im not sure if Im going to do it in one transaction at a RFD, or sell the 10/22 privatley then buy the target rifle at a later date.  when in the process do i apply for a 1-4-1 or do I even need to?

TIA.

You need to dispose of one rifle and tell the police the details of that transaction within 7 days

Then you need to apply for a one for one variation.

Once you have your certificate varied to allow you to acquire another 22, then you can buy one at your leisure.

Cheers

Bruce

1 hour ago, martin_b said:

Guys I have 2 rimfire rifles on my FAC, I want to sell one, a 10/22  and replace it with a Anshutz target rifle.  Im not sure if Im going to do it in one transaction at a RFD, or sell the 10/22 privatley then buy the target rifle at a later date.  when in the process do i apply for a 1-4-1 or do I even need to?

TIA.

Common misunderstanding:  the FAC permission is for the specific rifle you have by its serial number etc.  If you sell it you loose the permission.  You need to get a new permission for the replacement rifle 1 for 1 which should be free as long as you sell the first one and then ask for the same calibre variation.  If you ask for a variation whilst you have the current rifle it counts as an additional firearm so £20 for the variation.

I know of one chap that thought he could sell one and buy another (both privately) without bothering the FEO !  Oh dear, it took some explaining...

It neither has to be the same calibre, same type of firearm or even a firearm slot for a 1-4-1. EG I have swapped a Spare Barrel slot for a RIfle and a 22 Rifle slot for a 308/7.62 rifle slot. Some forces try to impose a 'you must request the 1-4-1 within 'X' number of days. This is not correct, the guidance clearly states their is no time limit in doing so.

Roy has it right. No time limit for applying for the 1-4-1 but there is a limit on the time to tell them of any transaction, and it doesn't have to be the same type (although some forces try to insist it is like-4-like but will back down if pressed). It is asked that the 1-4-1 is done in a timely manner to help the firearms department mainly but there is no actual limit except the expiry/renewal date of the FAC.

While I agree with what Roy and Matt say, it's not necessarily always as cut and dry as that.   One for one with a different calibre requires the additional step of justification  - that may be, and usually is, straight forward, but not always.  For example: swapping a .223 for a  .30 Win Mag may require access to a suitable range possibly not available to the club.

Easy to say about pressing the FEO etc, not all FAC holders have the confidence to do that.

Agreed, but that's not what you said, hence my reply. Your post inferred that 1-4-1's were only for like calibres.

Every slot has to have justification, but your point is well made for a newbie who might not think about that.

1 hour ago, Roy W said:

Agreed, but that's not what you said, hence my reply. Your post inferred that 1-4-1's were only for like calibres.

Every slot has to have justification, but your point is well made for a newbie who might not think about that.

I could have been clearer