AI AT AND SMALL PRIMERS

gyr

Hello

I wonder if someone has experience with using small primers with an Ai AT action? 

Need to buy some brass and leaning towards small primer Lapua, but want to make sure the AT firing pin will work well?

Thanks

Measure the diameter of the firing pin first

if large diameter is approach with caution

Some bolts / fire control are ok some are not and it seems a lottery wether one over the other works or not 

This applies to all small Rp brass / bolt heads with large fp 

I have first hand experience of this issue. My AT is an earlier model. I believe if your bolt has the fluting showing when the bolt is closed in the action it is of the newer small FP models. 

easy way without measuring your firing pin is compare with this photo. Large on the left and small on the right. Both From AT’s

B1ADCDFE-CC3F-4800-9959-A8450F6199FF.jpeg

Post 2017 [ i think ]  all are fitted with the small pin. [ AX and AT , not the AXMC, though it is available as a factory option ]

The only cartridge it seems to give issues with is the 6.5 x 47.

I've run both large and small creedmoor on my old AX [large pin ] with no issues.

I've just come back from testing my other AX [large pin ] with a new .260 ackley improved barrel.

Working up carefully, i've just managed to hit 3054 fps with a 142 grain bullet, and no pierced primers up to that.

This was on Peterson SRP .260 brass, fire formed.

44 minutes ago, baldie said:

Post 2017 [ i think ]  all are fitted with the small pin. [ AX and AT , not the AXMC, though it is available as a factory option ]

The only cartridge it seems to give issues with is the 6.5 x 47.

I've run both large and small creedmoor on my old AX [large pin ] with no issues.

I've just come back from testing my other AX [large pin ] with a new .260 ackley improved barrel.

Working up carefully, i've just managed to hit 3054 fps with a 142 grain bullet, and no pierced primers up to that.

I would value your opinion. I have a 2014 AI AT and I am about to rebarrel in 6.5Creedmoor. I have purchased 200 Laupa small primer cases, do you think this could be an issue? If so, I will just use this brass in the Ruger PR.

Thank you and any advice is much appreciated. 

3 hours ago, baldie said:

is this the 1200 yard plus answer Dave

12 hours ago, geek said:

I would value your opinion. I have a 2014 AI AT and I am about to rebarrel in 6.5Creedmoor. I have purchased 200 Laupa small primer cases, do you think this could be an issue? If so, I will just use this brass in the Ruger PR.

Thank you and any advice is much appreciated. 

If you are bringing the rifle in to me, for the re barrel, i'll give you all the info you need on these issues.