just one rifle

I have been thinking about building another rifle for my self and selling all the others i have,or re do one i have.

the question is,

If you was to build just one rifle for fox / deer and vermin what caliber would you go for. i have got no problems using any caliber for fox and vermin so that is not an issue, but i don't want a large caliber just because i can,it needs to have a reason y i just need a 30 06 for instance.

i would prefer a short action,but this is not set in stone.

AT the moment I'm at the 6.5 stage (6.5 x 47 ) or the (260 rem)

your thoughts please.

ATB

Colin :lol:

260, 260AI or 6.6x47.

If you must have a short action :lol:

Not sure on the exact figures over the std .260 Col, but i,m pretty sure it will shove the 139 class bullet at 3000 fps.

If it was a target gun, i would always go with the 6.5x47, but you want it for hunting, and the .260 will give greater scope for bullet choice for you. I know two lads with ackleys, now, in tactical rifles, and they are superb, especially in the wind. My mate Rob Hunter, is just on with one now, for next season, and that one will be the gun to beat in the mcqueens this new year. Its a good cartridge. I suppose the AI bit is whether you want to do the extra work really.I would think its worth it, purely to stop case stretch, on a case that needs a bit of initial forming.

From what I gather, the .260AI's aren't living up to the performance expectations.

Terry Cross who started the craze quote 2930fps with 142's, but I haven't heard any stories of people approaching that.

I may be wrong though, but the consesnus is that it's optimistic.

And that's not a lot of value for a tube that's only good for 1400-1500rds before the rot sets in.

A good choice for a long action is 6.5-06 as .25-06 and .30-06 brass is readily available and performance is right up there with 6.5-284, but it's kinder on barrels

I have built several 6.5-06's for customers and currently have one I put together twenty years ago with a Douglas Air Gaged barrel on an FN deluxe action. It's a a fine round and if Hornady hasn't changed anything in the last 2 decades (!!) the dies are a stocking item and the loading data is in their books. ~Andrew

I had a .260 Rem once in the form of a Ruger 77 . The rifle was far to light for the round and you couldn't keep site of the target when the shot rang out when using a bipod.

Despite that, it was an excellent round for accuracy using 140 grainers all the way out to 1000 yards. That little Ruger was putting .308 dedicated target rifles to shame on a windy day.

When the day comes that i can afford a TRG 22, i will have my 75, .308 rebarreled to .260 definitely.

Col,

Hornady have just released an new bit o' brass that falls between the 260 and the 6.5x 47. Here's a link :rolleyes:

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2007/...moor-cartridge/

Horses for courses at the ned of the day. There's the 6.5 mystic (a 260 AI variant, 6XC and a handful of others that might be worth a looky see and lets not forget the 6.5 x 55 SWE it may be as sexy as the 6.5x47 that will do everthing that the others will do just as well :rolleyes:

6.5-06 .... performance is right up there with 6.5-284, but it's kinder on barrels

Hmm, why would that be?

The bore and boiler room are near identical.

The barrel life expectancy is well known on 6.5-284s (from F Class guys) but I'd guess it'd be mainly game/vermin shooters who use the '06 brother. 1500 max would be my best guess for the 6.5-06 for top accuracy

Chris-NZ

I was in work today and was reading a little bit on the net and as Baldie has said the 260AI is sure something to be looked at .

Its got plenty of grunt thats for sure ;)

Hi

i have all ways thought the 6.5 x 47 is a bit to small a case for the 129 and 140 6.5 range of bullets. and even with a 120 built in you have to push them hard. witch in my head means the case capacity is a bit small.

but how much more are you going to get if you AI it ? is this worth considering ? probably not.

we have had some suggestions of different calibers / cartridges,but with no reason why you chose or would have this round.

would you spend £100 of your money on a raffle ticket,and not know what the prizes where??

ATB

Colin ;)

I completely agree on the 6.5x47 Col. Folk with no experience of it, think it will do everything....it wont. What it will do is drive a 123 grain bullet at 3000 fps. If you drop it below 2900 the cartridge just doesn,t exhibit the extraordinary accuracy its fast becoming reknowned for. There is an accuracy node at around 2950 - 3000 fps with it, and in some rifles, another one at 3150, if the case will stand it in that particular gun....its possible with a very tightly headspaced case. At these velocities however, the cases are shagged after 3 reloads. The primer pockets end up like a wizards sleeve. ;)

Feed it heavier bullets, and you are overgunning the case...it wasn,t designed for them.Far better to switch to a larger capacity case like the .260, and go for the higher BC, and heavier bullet....especially for what you want....deer.

AI will give another 100 fps ? you,ve already got to faff around expanding, and fireforming the case to a degree...why not shove out the shoulder, and do away with constant trimming?

I dont shoot deer, and do very little foxing anymore, but if i did, i think it would be the calibre for me.

Neck a 270WSM down to 6.5..short throw with plenty of punch..Probably all ready a factory loading, hahah, haven't been paying too much attention lately, been way too busy with military cartridges this year, but that was my plan with the Winchester I'd bought a few years ago...

JR

we have had some suggestions of different calibers / cartridges,but with no reason why you chose or would have this round.

would you spend £100 of your money on a raffle ticket,and not know what the prizes where??

6.5x68 is there or there abouts with the 6.5mm Mag for flat shooting and knock down power Its an excellent choice for long range target and vermin shooting, and an excellent deer hunting cartridge. Much used by chamois hunters for its excellent performance characteristics.

Hi Col

I think that with a 260AI with heavy bullets you have to seat the bullets deeply compromising case capacity unless you use a long action receiver. Perhaps somebody with one can confirm this.

If you want to keep to a short action and use long bullets then here is suggestion: - 6.5 WSSM. This will easily fit in a 308 sized action (it will fit in a 223 sized action but then you will be back to seating bullets deeply.) It has the same case capacity of a 260AI so should perform as well or even better because it has a high max’ working pressure.

The down side is the brass needs a lot of work as it is only available from Winchester, so batch weighing and full case prep’ is needed, in addition the brass is very heavy and thick including a thick neck. There is a string of thought that the thick neck causes inconsistent bullet release. The solution is to go for a tight neck chamber and neck turn to “normal” neck thickness. Producing cases from 25 WSSM is easy.

One advantage is nobody else in the UK has one. ;)

Best rgds

B-b

Archived