Ultra light Tactical 6.5CM

ejg223

Finally got to zero my new Ultra light 6.5 CM . We managed to get a 20" 6.5 Hardy carbon barrel which only weighs 1.2kg, and old Remmy action and my son made me an experimental ultra light E-Tac4 stock that only weighs 820 grams. ~29Oz.  Schmidt sent us a 3-27x56 with Tremor3 and the new Spuhr 20Moa Rail as well as Spuhr 10MOA one piece mount, Triggertech trigger. That mount is a bit high for this rifle but I just had it. Moderator needed a bit of tweaking on the lathe to go over the 24mm Hardy barrel. The bare rifle weighs just under 6.7lbs, scope with mount is quite heavy but what a brilliant optic. The only ammo I had for zero and initial chrono was the Sako TRG 136gr Scenar. I chronoed all 15 shots. First few shots had 75fps ES which seems to be tightening up to 30's in the last 7 rounds. I will repeat again once the barrel is worn in  a bit. Shooting off the Land Rover hood close to the sea is not the best but the last three shots in my 5 shot group tightened up nicely. So far very happy with the rifle as well as the 6.5CM which is running average 2730fps with the 136gr from a 20" barrel, around 1100m supersonic.

3h2oBrQ.jpg

g1tGsTf.jpg

xFIpLcV.jpg

8Ptq1Fo.jpg

edi

That’s light Edi

Looks great for a carry all day tool on the sika 👍🏻

Trucraft, I'll test this on crows and maybe a fox but would prefer ELD X for deer if they work well.

Thanks Ronin, that is the idea. Might put the lighter 3-20x50 Ultra short on if it is used purely for stalking.

edi

Lose the rail and Spuhr put a pair of tally bases on it and 34mm Talley rings that should bring it down enough to fit perfectly and lose the weight of the rail and heavy Spuhr ,,,,,,

Did this with a Borden build a few weeks ago saved nearly a pound without the lard 

4 hours ago, Ronin said:

Lose the rail and Spuhr put a pair of tally bases on it and 34mm Talley rings that should bring it down enough to fit perfectly and lose the weight of the rail and heavy Spuhr ,,,,,,

Did this with a Borden build a few weeks ago saved nearly a pound without the lard 

Sound advise, done the same on my HABU

Edi, what mod is it? I’m running the same barrel & calibre, but I’m having problems finding a decent mod that will fit over the barrel.

Treedave, Hausken seem to have a version that fits over a 24mm barrel now. I am waiting delivery of one. The one on the rifle is  Hausken also, I took it apart and bored out the back by 0.3-0.4mm on a lathe. Hole was initially 24mm and barrel also but would not go over.

Ronin yes the are many lighter options, I am a bit careful with scopes on test or loan. Spuhr are bullet proof and don't seem to leave marks behind on the scope tube. I must get a set of their new hunting range of one piece mounts they are much lighter.

What I like on the Spuhr rail, Spuhr mounts noticed now with the last few rifles is that the scope was out only by a few clicks from it's centre setting when zeroing. With this rifle it was only 6 clicks.

edi

Edi,

Thanks for the info about the mod, I’ve heard the same about Hausken but have been told they don’t import it to England (ffs). I’d  e interested in how you get on with it when it arrives.👍

RUAG import Hauksen Dave 

good luck with enquiry ,,,,,,

1 hour ago, srvet said:

Why not have a talk to Simon Lawrence regarding a custom moderator??

Might have to but that’s one of the protracted & expensive routes, especially if I can get a Hauksen to do the job. All moot at the minute, waiting on paperwork after my last venture into titanium mods.

Hausken also have front mounted mods or?  The carbon barrels are getting quite popular in Ireland and therefore our importer is getting the JD224 version with the larger barrel opening.

Lee the 143 Eld are on my list. At the moment I only have the 136 Sako. Did a small bit of lapping on the barrel and shot her again today. Lightened the trigger a bit too.  Zero check had two shots overlapping (3 clicks high).

Then dropped a fox across the valley.  First kill for this rifle. Fox lying at ~ 2 mil right 1.5mil above crosshair.

2LXprdG.jpg

tHGrWEY.jpg

Ii4PpeI.jpg

edi

Would the Irish importer ship to a RFD based in England 

may be worth pursuing that angle dave 

Edi, that’s the kind of group I’d be expecting !!!

Thanks guys, will watch with interest and explore the import from Ireland angle. A bit wary at the moment as the Hauksen website talks about the heavy barrel mod only being good for a 23mm diameter barrel.

Lee, what rifle/barrel was that?

Treedave, worst case if you have a similar barrel to mine with 24mm on the outside and a Hausken mod with ~24mm you could turn it out by 0.3-0.4mm.  I did mine on one of those mickey mouse table lathes. Just have to heat up the section where the threaded part is in and unscrew the front baffle section off. That then fits into a small lathe. I used to run a 300wm through that mod, now I will only use the CM and 308.

edi

13 hours ago, ejg223 said:

Lee, what rifle/barrel was that?

Treedave, worst case if you have a similar barrel to mine with 24mm on the outside and a Hausken mod with ~24mm you could turn it out by 0.3-0.4mm.  I did mine on one of those mickey mouse table lathes. Just have to heat up the section where the threaded part is in and unscrew the front baffle section off. That then fits into a small lathe. I used to run a 300wm through that mod, now I will only use the CM and 308.

edi

Hi it was my BAT ,creed Bartlien bolted in my Habu , i was going to hand load , but factory shoots well in my stick so went with hornady ELDX. Dont think a fox or Deer will no the difference

20190406_135238.jpg

10 hours ago, baldie said:

Why not use anyone who has a RUAG account ?

I've never had any problems with them, great company and very helpful.

Not my experience, I’m still waiting for a reply from a person saying they where the importer, as to wether or not they can get one of the 2 models I’ve enquired about. They’ve had follow up messages with no reply. 

I’ve no idea if the guy really works for Ruag, a dealer with an account or neither of the above.

But then I might be scarred by my experience of trying to get HIT bullets off them.

Anyway, this has strayed along way from edi’s nice new rifle!