Anglo Custom Tactical Bolt Knob

Nice to see the UK at the forefront of the release of some interesting accessories, SYSS have made their own bottom metal replacement for Rem 700 removable magazine systems and now Anglo Custom Rifles now have their very own SSG style bolt knob.

The knob is made of alloy, anodised black and threaded M8x1.25mm.

This knob is a direct competitor to anyone thinking of getting a Badger knob fitted to their rifle and as you will see, it has a few advantages over the Badger in terms of fitting and tactile feel.

Chris (Northernchris) sent me a sample to try, I write this review honestly and without prejudice to the product or Chris.

I recieved the sample on friday and was impressed with the feel and quality of the anodising, it seems to have been applied thicker than the industry standard Badger - after a while the anodizing wears off, only time will tell on the ACR product.

I chose to fit it to one of my own rifles, a 25-06 that sees use at least twice / three times a month during winter on the roe and reds, so I can give an update on the wearbility in a few months time perhaps.

The thread fitting for the ACR knob is a M8x1.25mm as opposed to the Badger which is xxxxx (5/16ths x 24TPi corrected Neil).

The ACR knob therefore uses a thicker thread to secure to the bolt handle - has to be better IMHO..

Fitting, well you do it with a lathe and jig or you use a dremel (yes ive seen that done) and a die nut.

I used the lathe and jig method, the jig was supplied last year by Ian (Vermincinerator) and is a treat to set up and use.

Bolt set up in jig and first .100" taken off old remington ball

DSCN1370.jpg

Tenon being formed

DSCN1372.jpg

Completed thread

DSCN1374.jpg

Fitted knob from 90 degree angles

DSCN1375.jpg

DSCN1376.jpg

DSCN1377.jpg

Completed bolt

DSCN1379.jpg

DSCN1378.jpg

ACR bolt knob compared to Badger (ACR on LHS)

DSCN1380.jpg

The ACR is thicker and less conical than the BAdger, its just as tactile and allows easy quick bolt throws, even on long action bolts, it extends the bolt throw a little and doesnt (on my rifle) interfere with the occular of the scope.

The thread tenon is thicker and therefore stronger than the Badger alternative and its British, so there should be no problems with supply.

I like them and unless something better comes along, will use these for my own guns from now on.

Nice review and well done Northernchris.

Can we build a complete rifle using UK made components? RPA action? Border barrel, C&G trigger? SSS stock, AICS, any others? SYSS bottom metal, guess we might struggle to find a scope?

Nice review and well done Northernchris.

Can we build a complete rifle using UK made components? RPA action? Border barrel, C&G trigger? SSS stock, AICS, any others? SYSS bottom metal, guess we might struggle to find a scope?

Nice idea.

Neil

yup, your right, :blush: , dont know why I had 1/4x28 in my head, must be stock screw thread size I was making before I did my knob :rolleyes::D

In that case, the thread size on Chris's and Badgers knobs are very similar, therefore, the only discernable difference is the more rounded shape of the ACR knob.

Badger thread is 5/16x24TPI - (.312"x24TPI)

ACR thread is M8x1.25mm - (.314" x 1.25mm thread)

So the Badger tenon is slightly smaller diameter.....

Apologies for that, didnt want to mislead anyone.

Guest northernchris

Looks good Andy,thanks for the "Honest" review :blush:

"Can we build a complete rifle using UK made components? RPA action? Border barrel, C&G trigger? SSS stock, AICS, any others? SYSS bottom metal, guess we might struggle to find a scope?"

Well if all things slot in place we will have our 1st proto .243/.308 bolt face action to build on within the next 14 or so days :rolleyes: Which is totally designed and manufactured here in the good old UK :D

So Elwood it may be possible except as you say the scope.

For the hell of it, couldnt one of the 2nd WW sniper scopes be fitted - some were made in the UK, or am I totally off base.?

I have got a Grays draw tube,maybe just tipex a dot on the objective lenes as an aiming mark. :rolleyes:

I was thinking more along the lines of two match sticks as cross hairs, but I bow down to your superior technology :blush:

So is the C&G trigger British made or just British distributed ?same question applies to the RPA action.

Good luck with your new action, exciting times a head.

:D:D Right, i'll get me coat and be off then :rolleyes::blush::D

You see, I can't get my head around these new fangled calculator thingies, where's my abacus :D

Ian

I think the CG unit is British made at least thats the impression i got from Mr Jackson.

I have one on my 6mmAR Remington 700, an excellent trigger and outstanding customer service from Peter Jackson. However, I think you'll find that the triggers are manufactured in the USA.

CG Trigger 6mmBR Article

John MH

Guest northernchris

"The design has been around awhile, first being made in Australia and then in Great Britain where Peter Jackson refined Chombart’s prototypes and put them into production as the Jackson Rifles trigger. The trigger has been produced and sold in Europe as the Jackson "Universal Match Trigger" for over three years now and it has gained wide acceptance."

but the the web link says this also-

"the triggers to be manufactured in the US in their entirety"

My Northern Education must be poor then :blush:

Well there you go Ian you wont be fitting one to the UK project after all maybe B)

It was my understanding that Peters trigger is made in the UK at Parton, as an aside he is one of the true gents of the UK shooting industry - very knowledgable, very interesting to speak to and his only down fall is he is a Yorkie :blush:B):lol::lol:

but the the web link says this also-

"the triggers to be manufactured in the US in their entirety"

My Northern Education must be poor then :blush:

Well there you go Ian you wont be fitting one to the UK project after all maybe B)

Chris, not to worry we still have two spare match sticks, shall we go with a Swan Vesta trigger or Bryant & May? :lol:

Guest northernchris

Ian

1 or each mate B) Are you sure they are UK made??

Andy

I thought they where built up at Parton aswell,last time i was up Jacksons Peter was showing me all the different "Test" actions they have on the shelf for setting up the trigger units prior to packageing and dispatch.

But if it says they are US made/built then they must be :blush:

My understanding is that the units sold in the US are assembled over there with slightly different internal parts (made from different materials rather than different design)

As Chris has said, ive spoken to Peter a few times about these triggers and he has told me they are assembled at Parton and tested using various actions on test beds, hence you get the trigger matched to the action of choice, with little or no messing about to set up.

Well apart from opening up the stock inlet :blush:

So is the C&G trigger British made or just British distributed ?same question applies to the RPA action.

I'm fairly sure the rpa action and possibly triggers are made in the UK. Apart from the Robertson stocks, I think they are entirely made 'in house'. At least that's the impression I got while shooting their latest .338 at the range....

Archived