Muzzle brakes,opinions please

Got one on my T3 Tactical, LOUD!!!!!!!!!! would be my comment.

:lol::lol::lol:

I was spotting for Ronin at Warcop last time, i could say the same about the one on his 338!! :D

Cant really help with the inital question, sorry Funky!

i've always like the look of the muzzle breaks on the accuracy intenational AW50's, a peice of scafold tube welded to a nut, abit crude but im in the process of replicating one for the 308 at the moment, as i think it was Rank stated " the simplest solution to a problem will inevitably turn out as the best solution," or somthing along those lines!! :D

An effective muzzle brreak has to be manufactured for the particular rifle and calibre and amunition it will be used with. So there really is no answer to your question, other than to go to a reputable rifle builder and have one made ( not cheap) anything else is guesswork.

Redfox

An effective muzzle brreak has to be manufactured for the particular rifle and calibre and amunition it will be used with. So there really is no answer to your question, other than to go to a reputable rifle builder and have one made ( not cheap) anything else is guesswork.

Redfox

I think what funky is saying is.

what is the best muzzle brake out there, IE Darrel Hollands, vias,defensive edge, and so on,

what you do then is ask them to build you one to your speck rifle, All so cost is not an issue.

ATB

Colin :lol:

I think what funky is saying is.

what is the best muzzle brake out there, IE Darrel Hollands, vias,defensive edge, and so on,

what you do then is ask them to build you one to your speck rifle, All so cost is not an issue.

ATB

Colin :lol:

Vais has a good reputation amongst many of the serious boys over here.

A bit quieter than many apparently, but as has already been said, they're all BAD for noise. A mate had a .338 Lapua with a brake and it was a good way to clear the mound..

Chris-NZ

Experience says Sako TRG brake, Research says JP Brake (tank type) and my shoulder say AI brake on 338 is working very well.

I would be more concerned how it is attached - (not sure if the terms are right but one where a short section of barrel is turned down so the brake sits on the barrel - shank? - looka at RPA or AI rifles and brakes) with about 18mmx1mm thread and clamped so screwing it on and off does not effect "timming". Also I would avoid brakes with holes all round - nice way to blow dirt onto your scope etc.

David.

Funky, I had this up a while back on here.

Made this thing as a compromise a year or two back.

I tried it out this season and you know what it's good.

Takes away a little of the crack more a low boom and might just

save my hearing out stalking. The rifle still handles very well, shoots

a bit better with factory ammo and recoil is way down.

Very simple, all stainless and very sturdy.

The difference is that I can hold my 308 very lightly, like a 223.

DSC02486.jpg

DSC02495.jpg

Image207.jpg

Image205.jpg

edi

Brakes are a pet subject of mine Pete. I,ve fitted and used most on the market at some time or other. If its a tactical type gun, then the badger fte is a good brake, as is the benny cooley type ,these are the ones with the huge side vents, and flat baffle plates. This type of brake is very efficient, as the gas is hitting 90 degree surfaces...the down side is they are very loud indeed. i have this type in the form of a holland, on both my .223 speedy, and the grendel 6.5, and they work very well on a practical rifle. Im guessing you want one more for a deer/carry/stalking gun ? It would then have to be a vais. I personally think these are the best on the market. The design is complex, in that there are many ports, and routes which stop the gas very well, but arent noisy like a tactical brake. They also look superb, and come in many diameters, as they have to be matched fairly closely to the barrel od, as there is little room for turning down the diameter, due to their design.

Steve Kershaw does a similar one to this, but its only radially drilled, and doesn,t have the end to end holes like the vais. Steve,s brake works, i,ve made the type myself, but its nowhere near as efficient as the vais design.

The vais must be fitted so that there is a small gap between the muzzle, and the hole in the brake.There is a chamber here inside, and as the bullet exits the muzzle, and enters the hole, it effectively seal the brake for a milisecond.This means the gas enters the forward facing vents, and up and out of the radial vents.A very clever idea, and it works, but it must be fitted exactly right, or the timings are out.

James markets this one:

_ASC0082-1.jpg

It is currently fitted to my 338 Lap Mag, and tames recoil to 308 levels.

The brake is intended to be a clamp style on barrel spigot, but ive threaded mine M18x1mm and timed it so it fits the barrel correctly.

It works and directs blast on either side, not downwards, sight picture is not lost when trigger pulled.

Ive used a few rifles with brakes, I like the AI style - very simple and effective, VIAS are good and Holland too.

It depends really on your own taste to what you fit.

Vais will deal direct pete, but they are relativly simple to get here, midway do them, as do brownells, so anyone dealing with these two will get you one easy enough. If you get stuck, get col to call , we have a selection always on the shelf. You need to know your finished muzzle diameter for a vais however, as they need matching fairly closely.

The vais stops flip very nicely, and despite being radially drilled, they dont seem to kick up the dirt when shot prone either, probarbly due to the vast amount of ports on them.

Guest deer308
Hi deer308,

Was that a special order brake direct from Vais?

I ask this because their standard brakes are all cut with Unified threads

Ian.

hi ian,

yes it was

Archived