A different shooter

baldie

Thought one or two of the Archers on here may find this of interest.

My other hobby is Field archery. The simulated hunting competitions , known universally as 3D. Basically, you walk around a wood, with a 36 target course laid out, of life size rubber animals. Shots are then taken at marked pegs of unknown distance. exactly the same as air rifle FT.

I shoot compounds and recurves, but a couple of years ago, I bought a crossbow, and have spent the time, doing it up , into exactly what I wanted.

This is a Canadian Excalibur bow, widely regarded as the best of the recurve type bows.

Its trigger was terrible [but much better than other brands ], so that came off, and onto it went a trigger tech unit.

I shortened the deck length to reduce it from a 200LBS draw, to 175 LBS as it has to be cocked by hand , under the rules.

Next, went on an anti dry fire device, and also the hinged mount, known as an Optimiser. You move the wheel to alter the MOA of the rail, and all distances are marked on it. Exactly the same as dialling, but thats not allowed under the rules, neither is a parallax corrector.

Rangefinding must be done by eye, and then put into the rail device.

The stock was crap. Purely by chance, I came across a very nice chap called Warren Edwards, who makes air rifle stocks, about 10 miles away.

He modified the design to fit my crossbow, and made me a stock in green mountain cammo, with a Hamster and adjustable cheekpiece.

He is a craftsman, and I can't recommend him highly enough. This stock, finished in truoil, was £650, which I considered a bargain.

Finally finished.

These things are pretty accurate. It will put 5 arrows [not bolts....they were a medieval missile, made of steel with no fletchings ] into 2" at 80 yards.

4FOSvo3.jpg

4Q4sPMh.jpg

LHaTmLV.jpg

axTX3Ml.jpg

VSQrhSc.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 2/2/2018 at 6:20 PM, baldie said:

These things are pretty accurate. It will put 5 arrows [not bolts....they were a medieval missile, made of steel with no fletchings ] into 2" at 80 yards.

I'm amazed nobody has suggested that is better than your rifle builds ? ?

On 7/3/2018 at 1:33 PM, David TS said:

Hilarious. How the long winter nights will fly by, re telling that one.

Mick, its an Excalibur Vortex, shortened down to Vixen 11 specs , on deck length.

9 hours ago, baldie said:

Hilarious. How the long winter nights will fly by, re telling that one.

Mick, its an Excalibur Vortex, shortened down to Vixen 11 specs , on deck length.

I was teasing.  When someone asks for a riflesmith recommendation, you are ALWAYS top of my suggestion list.

6 minutes ago, baldie said:

Because you have sausage rolls for fingers Mick. ?

One of my favourite things sausage rolls and pies but I guess you knew that ?

I thought they were all 200 it’s too much to cock it by hand ,doddle with the string assist thing though ,just learned not to shoot groups at 15 yard , one arrow bites the dust .

They are all 200lb limbs. Its the deck length, or more correctly, the power stroke [string at rest to fully cock measurement. ] If yours is shorter than mine [and it is ] it should be drawing at around 175.

Bring it down to the shop, and i'll make you some of those legal cocking aids. Dont get used to using a stringer, they aren't legal in competition.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived