Border

My 6.5 x47 has an archer, and its taken several firsts at benchrest at different ranges, countless mcqueens wins, and a gold medal at 4/5/600 yards "f" class at bisley.

My 6mmbr surgeon has an archer fitted, and so does my sako 6mmbr.

My .308 has the "border" cut rifling barrel however, but its no more accurate than the archers.

We fit more archers than any other barrel...they are superb barrels.

Dave does your wife know you are using the bedroom walls as a target board? it is very dodgy looking wallpaper so I doubt she will care anyway :rolleyes:

I have just had a deja vou moment, have we been here before?

There seems to be an enormous price difference between the Archer and the cut rifled barrels without any great advantage, why?

Ian your right there, Iseem to remember going down that path when I first had the rifle :D

I can't see how the other barrel can shoot any better than that. I certainly wouldn't pay an extra £200 for something I doubt could perform any better.

Does anyone know the advantages of spending £200 extra on a cut rifled Border barrel?

JR used to say barrel life was better with the Archer tubes as well.

Cheers

Dave

Im may be wrong, but I recall JR saying that the button caused the surface to "harden" whilst it is being swaged through the bore.

I will certainly be trying an Archer soon if they are giving results like the ones posted.

No benefit at all in going "cut" IMHO

Ian your right there, Iseem to remember going down that path when I first had the rifle :lol:

I can't see how the other barrel can shoot any better than that. I certainly wouldn't pay an extra £200 for something I doubt could perform any better.

Does anyone know the advantages of spending £200 extra on a cut rifled Border barrel?

JR used to say barrel life was better with the Archer tubes as well.

Cheers

Dave

Actually, I've never said a buttoned barrel outlasts a cut rifled and doubt Border in their heart of hearts would admit to that if we're being completely honest. In fact in most cases its the contrary, but it all depends on the internal dimensions, material and quality the barrel was made in the first place. Some material is better to be machined, other is best suited for swaging and will leave it at that as an MHO. Always thought it might be a good idea to work with better quality material for the rolls royce cut rifled barrels, time will tell, but the intention here is to have all 3 processes and many sources of material here to work those answers out.

JR

Actually, I've never said a buttoned barrel outlasts a cut rifled and doubt Border in their heart of hearts would admit to that if we're being completely honest. In fact in most cases its the contrary, but it all depends on the internal dimensions, material and quality the barrel was made in the first place. Some material is better to be machined, other is best suited for swaging and will leave it at that as an MHO. Always thought it might be a good idea to work with better quality material for the rolls royce cut rifled barrels, time will tell, but the intention here is to have all 3 processes and many sources of material here to work those answers out.

JR

JR,

are you up and running yet?

any website?

cheers

edi

JR,

are you up and running yet?

any website?

cheers

edi

Nearly there mate. We had a few hiccups with parts to make or order to get the machinery up and moving, but is all coming together nicely in the end. Next is the fun part, hiring staff and training them not to broccoli up the machinery. Most of the equipment is not NC controlled and it isn't the easiest to find those who have the ability to run mechanical machinery anymore, hahah, so it's up to me to keep the momentum until everyone is on the same page...Won't get much of a break in the near future, reckon I have about 3 months of getting the cut rifled gears churning and will be onto the hammer forge equipment, back and forth between the two sides. As the HF side is being constructed will also be initiating the button barrelmaking. No rest for the wicked just yet, but still plenty of time in the week to raise a little hell when necessary.

Website here is:

www.knightarmco.com

Reckon once it's operational and everything cleaned up, we may have some pictures of the barrelmaking plant..Biggest problem now with pictures is the 2 Sherman tanks and the deuce and a half cluttering the area, haha, blocks the good light..

later

JR

• 8 months later...

Picked up the rifle on Friday; 22 inch Border Archer in .243 Ackley. REM 700 action Timney trigger, PSS stock Mag conversion. I got a new T8 and IOR 6-24x50 which is looking good. I will get some pics up on monday when I get hold of my camera. I started fire forming today; It was shooting 1/2 -3/4 so it bodes well for once it is fire formed and I sort the OAL out etc.

Any pointers on loads for 95-105 grains would be apreciated.

Dave

Ive just got my tikka back with a lovely varmint fluted barrel! looks really smart now! Should have my Robertson tactical stock in a day for 2 then off to play.

The benefit of the border cut barrels is you can have them at a different twist rate! grooves etc. So you really can have any mis you like!

Archived