New trade member ....BBT.

baldie

What a lovely surprise !

I'd Heard talk in the trade about Dr Geoff Kolbe setting up to make reamers.

I,m very pleased indeed to see it come to fruition.

Geoff, I wish you every success with your venture...and expect some orders Sir !

Dan Brough of GB Barrels Ltd mentioned that Geoff was now making reamers, it was a pleasant surprise.

We've currently got him working on a reamer for a new project, so fingers crossed for that.

Will keep you posted on the outcome.

Cheers.

Click on the link Mark, on the right hand side of the page.

Thanks

This is great to know

I did receive a questionnaire from him/them yonks back, so good to see they are up and running

They could tone down the lime green though :lol:

Thanks for the welcome lads!

The main CNC grinding machine has been in place a year now, but it has taken that long to overcome a number of software problems and hardware problems - and for me to learn how to use the thing. The grinder is now (almost) front ended in production terms with a small CNC lathe and CNC mill to profile and flute the reamer blank before hardening and grinding. I am having some issues with the computers talking to the CNC lathe and mill, but hopefully those will be sorted out this week.

My issue with reamers from the States was that they always needed touching up with a diamond lap to make them work well. The reamers I have made so far seem to be cutting well and they seem to leave a nice chamber, which is gratifying. I have made quite a variety of reamers so far from a small 20 Tactical to a big 50 BMG, so I am reasonably confident now that we can make most anything anybody will want.

Our business model is that we aim for a one week turn-around on orders. The idea is that the the CNC mill and CNC lathe are busy making blanks for stock, and then when the order comes in, the hardened blank is pulled off the shelf and finish ground. We figure it is not worth having finished reamers in stock as people want such a variety of neck diameters, throat lengths, blown out shoulders and so on, that we should just make to order and do it quickly. Minimising the amount of time the reamer spends on the grinder is the key to that.

We will be making headspace gauges too. And I am designing a floating reamer holder and a reamer sharpening jig to compliment our offerings.

Anyhow, we are at the point where we are ready enough to 'open the doors' and start marketing our services. When anybody needs a chamber reamer in the future, I would be grateful if you would think of us first....

If anybody is passing, do drop in an have a look around.

Geoffrey Kolbe

Hi Geoff,

Please make a true set of CiP .223 Rem headspace gauges that conform to the Triebel ones the London Proof House use.

The grief I've been getting these last few months is immeasureable

Thanks

Geoff, this is good news for the UK rifle builder.

May I ask, do your reamers take PTG pilots or would one need a BBT pilot set for your reamers.

May I ask, do your reamers take PTG pilots or would one need a BBT pilot set for your reamers.

Yes, our reamers pilot spigots are ground to the US sizes. No point in using different diameters.

Geoffrey

Yes, our reamers pilot spigots are ground to the US sizes. No point in using different diameters.

Geoffrey

Hi Geoff,

Please make a true set of CiP .223 Rem headspace gauges that conform to the Triebel ones the London Proof House use.

Sure, I will get right onto it.

Yes, my experience was that US HS guages could be +/- a couple of thou', which is quite useless when you have a tolerance (as AI used to have) of .001" on protrusion. Their gauge measured a different thou to our gauge and finally, AI had to send us a gauge that measured the same as the gauge they used in inspection.

I never thought much of Triebel's reamers - the edges always had a saw-tooth effect as though they had taken the final finish grind real fast. But their gauges were dependably spot on and they seem to have some real fancy kit to measure them with. Well, I don't have the cash for fancy, but I do have the wit for cunning and I worked out a cunning way to measure rimless HS gauges accurately.

Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Hi Geoff,

Sure, I will get right onto it.

Yes, my experience was that US HS guages could be +/- a couple of thou', which is quite useless when you have a tolerance (as AI used to have) of .001" on protrusion. Their gauge measured a different thou to our gauge and finally, AI had to send us a gauge that measured the same as the gauge they used in inspection.

I never thought much of Triebel's reamers - the edges always had a saw-tooth effect as though they had taken the final finish grind real fast. But their gauges were dependably spot on and they seem to have some real fancy kit to measure them with. Well, I don't have the cash for fancy, but I do have the wit for cunning and I worked out a cunning way to measure rimless HS gauges accurately.

Geoffrey

Yesssss

• 2 weeks later...

Just read this... So good to hear that Borbal/BBT is up and running Geoffrey. From a former Border-barrels customer... I wish you every success and good luck in this new venture. Tom F.

Archived