6.5x47 RL15 Acuracy nodes

Malxwal

I recently chrono'd my loads for 47L, 37.6gr RL15,CCI450 primers,123 Amax, and they came up without much ES but at 2710fps. It's a 22" 4 groove Sassen barrel, with about 100 rounds through it.

I'm not quite getting the groups I want (1/2 moa),having tried every load from 37.0 to 38.0,it appears to not be fussy about charge.

With varying from .005" to .030" off the lands. It appears it prefers .010".

Does the experience out there suggest I should look to drive this harder, look to another powder etc ?

All thoughts appreciated.

Malxwal

Your load of 37.6g pretty much matches my original go to load using R15 & 450's but under the 123g Scanars, my velocity was slightly higher but my barrel was 5 groove, canted rifling and 24".

I have just had a new Barrel put on my 47 and a quick test with R15 came up with the same load 37.5g with 123g Scanars, I also tried H4350 and had equally good results but I'm swapping to 130g bullets so will be starting again.

Do not feel your 2710fps is too shabby but you should be able to sort out 1/2" groups with an aftermarket barrel, I have no experaince of Sassen so do not know what to suggest re. running in /settling down or pushing things faster - perhaps others can help out here?

As to alternative powders, Varget, N140, perhaps R17 or its equivilent and then you have the RS powders. I've not found the 47 to be a fussy cartridge to reload for previously.

Brgds and good luck

Terry

You could try greater variation in seating depth. I tested mine from 10 thou out to 80 or 90 thou from the rifling and found best results at 40 thou. Varget works for me with the 123 Amax, albeit with a mildish load of 36.4 grains

I've used up to 40.2gn of RL15 with a 120gn bullet, without pressure and a single digit ES,don't be afraid to explore higher territory.

I initially started off with 37.0 grains, also had a friend run Quikload for me to see what I could theoretically go up to. However, the velocity is a bit lower than expected. I'll get him to rerun the calcs but with proper OAL and case volumes.

I recently chrono'd my loads for 47L, 37.6gr RL15,CCI450 primers,123 Amax, and they came up without much ES but at 2710fps. It's a 22" 4 groove Sassen barrel, with about 100 rounds through it.

I'm not quite getting the groups I want (1/2 moa),having tried every load from 37.0 to 38.0,it appears to not be fussy about charge.

With varying from .005" to .030" off the lands. It appears it prefers .010".

Does the experience out there suggest I should look to drive this harder, look to another powder etc ?

All thoughts appreciated.

RL 15 and 120 - 123 grain bullets is the go-to combo for the 6.5x47L and around 37.5 grains should give you really tight groups.

My favourite load is 37.5 grains of RL15 pushing a scenar 123 or SMK 123 grainier and this gives me one small hole at 100 yards.

I've not tried the A-Max, but if it's anything like the 7mm 162 bullet then it will be picky about seating depth.

Don't even compare the 162 with the 123 A-Maxs. The 162 can be a right pig to get shooting, and a fair proportion of guns hate them full-stop.

Scenars are best in mine but the 123 A-Maxs aren't far behind (and certainly far cheaper in this part of the world).

If you can't get at least 1/2min groups, something is clearly wrong. As has been suggested, something around 37-38 of RL15 or Varget behind either a 123 Scenar or A-Max, always with 450 primers, and it'd be a rare 47 if that general recipe didn't produce results.

Don't even compare the 162 with the 123 A-Maxs. The 162 can be a right pig to get shooting, and a fair proportion of guns hate them full-stop.

Scenars are best in mine but the 123 A-Maxs aren't far behind (and certainly far cheaper in this part of the world).

If you can't get at least 1/2min groups, something is clearly wrong. As has been suggested, something around 37-38 of RL15 or Varget behind either a 123 Scenar or A-Max, always with 450 primers, and it's be a rare 47 if that general recipe didn't produce results.

This is what I generally read. The rifle showed great promise from its very first shots with the 37.0gr RL15 123 Amax .010 off loads, so I have no doubt she's capable, but, I'd like to see the same accuracy with more velocity. Guess I'll just have to bring it up gently and see where the next node is.

I've had some success with 129 interlocks and N140 too, although the N140 didn't quite seem to work with the Amax.

If you can't get at least 1/2min groups, something is clearly wrong. As has been suggested, something around 37-38 of RL15 or Varget behind either a 123 Scenar or A-Max, always with 450 primers, and it's be a rare 47 if that general recipe didn't produce results.

That's an interesting point about the 162 A-Max's. I use the 140 A-Max in my Creedmoor and they are a dream. Although the 450 primers seem to be the favourite primer, I started with BR-4s and stayed with them. I now changed to Muroms and they are as good if not even better.

Re the velocity node, I've found the 123 grain bullets like around 2950 fps. But that's just my barrel.

I run mine with 38.5 gr rl15 for the 123amx. For 2960fps in a 26inch Krieger.cci 450mag primers Annealed every 3rd and still on first box of brass. 1400 shots so far. Amazing little round that requires hardly any prep. Strangely my barrel dosent like varget unless I use the 130 bergers.

• 1 month later...

Usted podría intentar una mayor variación en la profundidad del asiento. He probado la mina de 10 a 80 o 90 mil de los rifling y encontró mejores resultados en 40 mil. Varget trabaja para mí con el 123 Amax, aunque con una leve carga de 36,4 granos

Hello, I'm Spanish, my English is bad
I use 0.40 mm for my scenar 139

Ok not R15 but 37.8gn varget with 123Amax was giving solid 1/2moa at the range last weekend. Don't know exact velocity but it needed 2.6mil for 500 yds so around 2900fps from 25" barrel.

Archived