Question on GGG brass reloading

Hobbit

Hi

I bought some 223 rounds at bisley recently and was looking to use the brass for some plinking reloads

The brass is GGG and is quite solid - cases weigh at least the same as my Lapua brass (both cleaned and de primed)

My concern is that the primer pockets are quite tight in the sense that my solid Lee primer pocket cleaner (small primer side obviously) is a tight fit and I have not seen that before in Lapua or PPU brass

There is also a red ring around the primers touching the pocket prior to depriming - looks like glue/sealant ??? not sure if this is pertinent or not

What do you guys think??

Hobbit, Follow John's advice,then Mark's.

You need a (small) primer pocket crimp reamer (not just the cleaner/uniformer).

Lyman eg do a manual one,around £15. Just a handle with screw in reamer (large or small).

Some case trimmers take the appropriate reamer (Wllson eg) at double the price.

There may also be power drill fitting reamers.

And there are heavier duty tools -swage or cut-bench mountable,for the job,at considerably more £

The hand held should be fine,unless you have many hundreds to do....

gbal

Gents

Thank you all for four rapid and helpful replies - much appreciated - and yes, given the weight it looked to me to be both good brass and potentially lower volume - will use in an AR so not planning to kick the arse out of the charge weight

The ammo was good so I can see myself getting more for a splurge and I am glad I can reuse the brass when I have more time to reload.

At the risk of looking green and stupid I must admit I did not know that primers could be crimped and therefore that this could be undone with the appropriate tool - I just had a strong feeling they were going to be bastards to prime in current condition - so many thanks for the steer

I shall acquire said small primer pocket crimp reamer and crack on -

Thanks again and have a great 2017

Cheers

Hobbit

If you're cheap like me, the tip of an RCBS chamfer tool fits in a small primer pocket and a quick turn takes enough of the crimp out to reprime with ease.

Good to know I'm not the only miserable f3cker out there that's done that then.....

thanks again - I got the reamer and have removed the crimps

One thing I noticed, when i used it for good measure, was that the flash hole deburr tool removed more brash than usual (no - I was not drilling a crater ;-) !! ) so I suspect it was worth the effort

Cheers

Archived