Adjusting AI Triggers

TJC

Hi, just wondering if any of you guys have adjusted your AI triggers and if so what have you done ie reduce trigger weight from what to what ? Sent it back to AI to reduce trigger weight below min spec ? Have converted it to a single stage ?

Just curious what others have done, if anything at all. Thx

I have adjusted mine (several).

The front screw is the weight adjustment - it's quite long and adjusting it helps a bit. Adjust this first.

The rear screw (about 60 degree angle) is the sear adjustment - it helps a lot to get a good trigger but requires fine adjustment. Give it one turn either way and you will feel the difference, either heavier or lighter. As Dave says if you adjust it down too far you take the double stage out and it is out of spec. What l do is adjust it down to the single stage and give it about 1/2 turn back - it is slightly different amount on each of my rifles to get the same feel and adjust it in about 1/16 of a turn adjustments to get the "feel" that I want.

Most important safety - try running the bolt hard a few times after adjustment and the next day. The temperatures that I shoot in range from -20c to +30c, it is possible to get a good and lighter trigger on it but it will never be a bench rest trigger and should not be set as such.

AI triggers are not something you should fiddle with. Playing with the screws will put one out of adjustment,with the other. This will render the rifle unsafe

They are designed to be set up on a jig, with the two correct steel shims used to set both stages up correctly, and in kilter with each other. This jig and shims are a factory/armourer tool, and are expensive and , I believe, unavailable to unqualified people.

I have them if you want it setting correctly.

I have heard of people putting lighter springs in the unit. Again, not something the trigger was designed to run.

Neither the factory , nor myself [ the only factory approved service centre ] will release a trigger that has not been jig set, and falls within the factory set tolerances.

I have adjusted mine (several).

The front screw is the weight adjustment - it's quite long and adjusting it helps a bit. Adjust this first.

The rear screw (about 60 degree angle) is the sear adjustment - it helps a lot to get a good trigger but requires fine adjustment. Give it one turn either way and you will feel the difference, either heavier or lighter. As Dave says if you adjust it down too far you take the double stage out and it is out of spec. What l do is adjust it down to the single stage and give it about 1/2 turn back - it is slightly different amount on each of my rifles to get the same feel and adjust it in about 1/16 of a turn adjustments to get the "feel" that I want.

Most important safety - try running the bolt hard a few times after adjustment and the next day. The temperatures that I shoot in range from -20c to +30c, it is possible to get a good and lighter trigger on it but it will never be a bench rest trigger and should not be set as such.

In contrast, I have to say, I deliberately set both of mine to single stage without issue using normal vigorous bump and slam tests to assess/confirm safety. Awesome glass-rod triggers.

In contrast, I have to say, I deliberately set both of mine to single stage without issue using normal vigorous bump and slam tests to assess/confirm safety. Awesome glass-rod triggers.

You did that by adjusting the sear engagement screw ?

This video is quite interesting

Here is a link to the factory trigger adjustment instructions. I have to agree with Baldie that it's best not to go outside of the manufacturer's advice. Besides which - it's a fantastic 2-stage trigger!

http://www.65guys.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/AI-15614-1-Trigger-Weight-Instructions.pdf

Respectfully, disagree. Conflating litigation-conscious published information and the reality of the safely achievable 'art of the possible'.

Did it to my two AWs. Know at least 2 other non molly-coddle AW users who successfully did exactly the same. (When I did my first one, I was copying one of them). Full bump and slam tests, plus falling on the rifle as well as landing it from standing butt first onto a rock (in a biathlon sling) falling on my arse. Many years of highland stalking, dragging, pushing, bumping, freezing, soaking use and abuse, one extant Bisley record (! :rolleyes: ).

Can't speak for the AX trigger, but just have a sensible (non-retard) play with the sear screw and weight, and safety test - as you would with any other trigger and you won't go wrong. Obvious, careless & full-retard adjustment is a different thing.

AI triggers aren't voodoo, they're simply better made and more soldier proof than the other 'lesser-make' triggers that people adjust and safety test without a second thought.

Vigorous (and I mean , scope-off rifle-dropping & rubber-mallet vigorous) bump and slam tests will define each rifle's reality.

I ran a re-sprung trigger for 6-7 years on my AI without issues. The springs were replaced and the trigger adjusted on the factory fixture. I eventually replaced the trigger with an after market 2 stage model which is currently set to 1,5kgs and still with 2 stages, is perfect for my needs and has probably been on the rifle for approaching 3 years now. The real difference between the original AI, the re-sprung AI and eventually the after market is the latter is a little crisper and can be adjusted to a substantially lower pull weight which I have tried however I am not a fan of ridiculously light triggers when shooting over land or at paper.

• 4 weeks later...

My AT came with 3.5lbs trigger pull from the factory with the first stage take up at 2.1lbs. I tried going lighter via the user adjustable screw but anything less and it slamfires when I drop the butt on the floor. I took it down to 2.15lbs but even a really gentle drop set it off.

I guess it isn't as adjustable as I'd imagined unless I'm doing something wrong ?

My Ax arrived with its trigger set at two stage and 2.5 lbs second stage break weight.

Its never faltered and other than annual removal and cleansing as part of my service regime hasnt required to be touched - the rifle deliveres match accuracy, I really dont see the need to reduce the trigger weight to less than this for a "field target rifle"

I have two spare AI triggers that have exactly the same characteristics.

No -

the rifle has been 100 percent reliable working in all weathers.

I carry out slam fire test at knee height and with barrel imparted vibration (barrel in soft jaw vice) plus slam bolt home.

The rifle works in all weathers and accounts for a great deal of deer each year, plus is used in informal competition - such as the RBL match and others so has several 000 rounds through it annually.

Apart from a few blown primers - due to wet weather, its been 100 percent reliable in functionality and safe operation.

The trigger gets washed out with lighter fluid and re lubed at least once a year - like all my rifles and several others I service for folk working on contracts on a professional managment capacity (not just AI's)

Archived