Berger and Lapua United in the Nammo Group Family

Bianchi

Just picked this up in another forum:

"The Nammo Group, parent of Lapua and Vihtavuori, has announced the acquisition of Berger Bullets, one of the USAs leading bullet makers. With Berger Bullets joining the Nammo Group, this teams Americas ultra-premium bullet-maker with what is arguably the worlds most respected cartridge brass and ammunition-maker. This is huge news. For competition shooters this may be a marriage made in heaven. Many top shooters, including champions like Bryan Litz and John Whidden, are already shooting Berger bullets in Lapua brass. This merger will make it easier for the two companies (Berger and Lapua) to optimize the performance of factory ammo, as well as to optimize brass for use with Berger match projectiles."

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2016/10/berger-bullets-joins-nammo-group/

I wonder if Berger bullets might end up being made in the Lapua factory in Finland as well as in the US? Now that would be a welcome development.

No, that wouldn't happen

Berger are just now a part of the larger Nammo corporation.

It may mean that their bullets come into the UK through larger established import routes, such as Vilking Arms or whatever. I can only see it as a good thing

I'd think Mark is correct.

This seems a corporate merger-one of umbrella ownership,rather than manufacturing policy.

Effectively,no changes in product seem likely-and there is probably no substantial overlap in bullet use,which might have led to revision of the bullet ranges.

While some UK shooters might vaccilate between Berger and Lapua,for specific applications,this isn't commercialy significant.

What is more likely is the wider use of V powders by successful US shooting teams-like Berger (Litz) already do,and so more awareness of the brand's merit-but that won't mean Europe can't get it,

After all,every medal (gold silver and bronze ) in the recent WBR championships was won using Lapua brass and V 133-as has been largely the case for a long time....bullets a tad more variable,it just ensures a steady market in US and continued availability for 'us'.

gbal

I would expect an injection of money into Berger for development and possibly a new line in Berger ammunition somewhere along the way

Maybe similar to Bryan's Applied Ballistic ammo....always better to have "Litz up" rather than 'tits up' stuff !

g

I would expect an injection of money into Berger for development and possibly a new line in Berger ammunition somewhere along the way

That's already been said by the Berger people. Berger's main problem these days is simply making enough product to meet demand, and the Nammo buyout will help fund largescale capacity increases. Erik Stecker (Berger's MD) is also very keen (read 'desperate') to relocate the company and its production facilities from California to Arizona. (It seems California is now so anti-gun that anything firearms related is given pariah status and has every known obstacle put in its path. Gary Eliseo [Competition Machine] took this route a while back as have several other shooting related manufacturers.)

What will also be interesting will be if we see Litz designed Lapua bullets a few years down the line. Lapua's range is very mixed with some excellent high-BC designs mixed in with really very pedestrian examples. While Lapua brass has made great inroads in the crucial US market, there is little mention of its bullets in American precision shooting forums, or in match reports where components are listed for top shooters.

There must be considerable scope for technology transfer / manufacturing technique information exchanges and suchlike. Berger has a good reputation on quality control, but Lapua is superlative.

All in all, I also think it's a very positive development. Other American bullet makers have been hit hard by Berger's developments and growth - you can see this in the recent flood of new and better products from Hornady and even more so from Sierra - and they'll be running even more scared now as to what Berger might do with more financial and technological resources.

No, that wouldn't happen

Berger are just now a part of the larger Nammo corporation.

It may mean that their bullets come into the UK through larger established import routes, such as Vilking Arms or whatever. I can only see it as a good thing

I hope it's not Viking arms otherwise the price will be extorcionate

It will be Viking Arms and also Hannams reloading. Pretty sure that Norman Clarke brings their products in direct, also.

I don't use Berger bullets, because they are ridiculously priced, and 9/10 times, you can't get what you want. Those are two MASSIVE factors in retail sales.

They will have to address these issues, or they will be a non starter .

I just hope it doesn't have a negative effect on the Lapua Scenar range.

I hope it's not Viking arms otherwise the price will be extorcionate

I've always found Viking to be quite reasonable

I think Mik brings them in also Dave

If what Laurie says is thur and Berger are looking to move out of Cali, then I wouldn't be surprised to see them relocate to the Nammo facility in Mesa, which was formerly an ATK rocket and explosive manufacturing plant....and covers many acres of land.

The ideal setup if you were to ask me

Picture J4 jackets used in Lapua Scenars soon... The mind boggles.

Scaling up an already successful company in its existing management structure and organization can often present hurdles where companies fail but in this case the transition should prove to be smooth and beneficial to all involved.

Archived