expected springback from redding bushing die

bewsh

I am new to these dies to be honest

used plenty of neck dies but not matched to an external OD

should I be expecting any springback from fresh brass when using these bushing neck dies?

running a .268 die on new brass and getting an OD of closer to .270

that normal?

looks like I will have to drop a size or two

The bushing could be closer to .269 then. Don't know what tolerences Redding manufactures to but presumably any bushing "targeted" as .268 and measured between .2675 and .2685 would end up in the .268 bin with a Gaussian distribution.

I use redding bushing dies but never had that problem. I have had the opposite a few times where the neck od ended up smaller than the bushing size. That can happen if your chamber is on the large size and the neck gets sized a lot in one go. What size is the neck od on the brass before sizing ?

Im not being smart but could there be an expander ball on the decapping rod that is opening up the neck again.

Using my Redding type S bushing die in .284, I get about a thou springback and take that into account in selecting the bushing I want to give me a few thou bullet retention. However when brass hardens the springback could be reduced. Not a major concern for me as I have a few bushings with different diameters to allow for it.

Hi

I find it a bit odd that all the new 6mm br brass I use comes out the box at .2655 so after sizing your brass is bigger than it appears to be at the start so are you using fire formed brass or brand new out the box brass , just a heads up with the old gold box lapua I used a .268 bush but with the new blue box I found that I needed to go to a .266 bush to get a good neck tension .

hope this helps a little

best regards

Andy (dully1963)

ps don't forget the bush has a top and a bottom its very slight but it all helps keep things right

One key thing that I learned early on about any bit of reloading kit is to measure what you actually get vs what SHOULD have happened.......the end result is all that really matters but oddball results often yield valuable lessons through investigating the 'why'.

I use Redding and Wilson they all xxx amount stamped on them but they do differ +or- 1-2 thou but never worry as jus use the ones that actually are 1-2 thou smaller than a loaded round !

Hi

I find it a bit odd that all the new 6mm br brass I use comes out the box at .2655 so after sizing your brass is bigger than it appears to be at the start so are you using fire formed brass or brand new out the box brass , just a heads up with the old gold box lapua I used a .268 bush but with the new blue box I found that I needed to go to a .266 bush to get a good neck tension .

hope this helps a little

best regards

Andy (dully1963)

ps don't forget the bush has a top and a bottom its very slight but it all helps keep things right

Hi,

These are once fired Norma going through their first resize

neck thickness is 0.012-0.013"

I assumed the bottom of the bush was the one with the slight chamfer to the inner edge

Remember its the loaded round you need to measure Ed, not just the case after it has been sized.

The loaded round is fine at .270-.271 but my concern is the tension is quite light given the spring back

Remember its the loaded round you need to measure Ed, not just the case after it has been sized.

well as they say the proof will be in the pudding

just over thinking this as I have never had a chamber cut to a specific size or had to go down the route of measuring loaded rounds in order to reload.....

exciting stuff!

Archived