Long range practise. 204 Ruger

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was shooting 40 grain V-Max out to 450- 475 on prairiedogs with my CZ American Varmint. Sweet stuff.~Andrew

Yeh very capable matey, but the wind becomes the problem then with these little bullets, one slight gust pushes the bullet off. What sort of hit persentsge do you get at that range on the Prairie dogs Andrew

Steve

I struggle to get a regular group even with my home loads I'm using the same powder and load as you Steve . One day its fine and another it just won't work as well. I don't get this problem with any thing ellse I shoot caliber wise.

My 223 shoots realy well so I use that instead of the 204.

I've checked the screws all round swaped scopes ect it was the same with my other 204 one batch of factory bullets shot fantastic the next rubbish.

I did find using Wipe Out in stead of KG made thing worse in this rifle so all in all its stayed in the cabnit, I wil have another play and see if I can get some Consistent results

I struggle to get a regular group even with my home loads I'm using the same powder and load as you Steve . One day its fine and another it just won't work as well. I don't get this problem with any thing ellse I shoot caliber wise.

My 223 shoots realy well so I use that instead of the 204.

I've checked the screws all round swaped scopes ect it was the same with my other 204 one batch of factory bullets shot fantastic the next rubbish.

I did find using Wipe Out in stead of KG made thing worse in this rifle so all in all its stayed in the cabnit, I wil have another play and see if I can get some Consistent results

Hiya matey,

What rifle are you using bud, it sounds possible that you are trying to shoot 39/40 grain bullets through a 1:12 twist barrel and have a stability issue. Tell us more about what your shooting and loading bullet wise mate.

Yeh very capable matey, but the wind becomes the problem then with these little bullets, one slight gust pushes the bullet off. What sort of hit persentsge do you get at that range on the Prairie dogs Andrew

Steve

That depends. Wind and mirage play hell on a 102F degree day and often the shot must be made quickly with no time for much doping. (they run to a hole. stop briefly, and dive in) I'm thinking somewhere above 50% on the longer shots with the percentage rising if the shots are closer. A sitting prairiedog is about 3.5" across at the widest (haunches. About 2" wide at the shoulder) and 6-8" tall. Obviously, on windy days a dog lying flat on the hole presents a slightly higher hit probability. On calm days at unknown distances, a standing dog is often the better target.~Andrew

That's a sweet looking set up Jet flint. I like the look of the PSE stocks who sells them?

Ben

Call Edmund at pse, ejg on this forum I believe. I have not dealt with someone so helpful for a long time. The stocks are very light and from my perspective, are very well made.

• 4 weeks later...

Just received my .204 yesterday. Pse composites stock, t3x tickled by riflecraft.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

That is one cracking looking .204! I am tempted to do a "1 for 1" variation, as i'm unlikely to ever need or want the .308 Win thats been on my ticket for some time now. Decisions decisions..... :unsure:

That is one cracking looking .204! I am tempted to do a "1 for 1" variation, as i'm unlikely to ever need or want the .308 Win thats been on my ticket for some time now. Decisions decisions..... :unsure:

Thanks chaz, I'm relatively inexperienced but it shoots like a dream accuracy wise, I'm quite tempted to get another for night vision use if I can get Valkyrie to built it on an AI chassis. I would like to take it to a range but I think I chose the wrong calibre, being a bit fast that is! Adam.

Just thought I'd throw another vote in for the 204.. I love mine what a bit of kit! Used 32g hornady factory rounds until recently now reloading using 39g sbk's with superb accuracy. I'm not in the same league as some of you guys and have not gone beyond 200 yards yet.

• 2 months later...

Just reading the post, my one for one came through today, .308 gone, .204 here we come!

Another vote for the 204.

I have a Tikka supervarmint and it just shoots so well.

I started off with (after working up etc.) 32 gr sierras with N130 @ 24.6grs giving me about 3900 and good groups.

I then tried some 39's as I had a few foxes that didn't get away but danced about a bit after being shot. These run at 3720 ish with N140 @ 28.1 grs with col 2.248" and are now my load of choice. I was shooting a target board at 300yds down a man made drainage ditch and was happy with the grouping so walked back from the target to the firing point. I decided to have one shot for personal satisfaction, win or lose, now that I knew the exact corrections. Off a bipod and obviously no wind due to the sheltering of the ditch walls, I fired but couldn't see the hole on the target through the scope. I walked down and couldn't believe it, it was absolutely spot on :huh:

Obviously this wouldn't happen every time but on this occasion it raised a smile, very happy!

Why? you should have got both I have :P

.243 carries out my larger quarry requirements with home loads, plus no more room in cabinet!

Another vote for the 204.

I have a Tikka supervarmint and it just shoots so well.

I started off with (after working up etc.) 32 gr sierras with N130 @ 24.6grs giving me about 3900 and good groups.

I then tried some 39's as I had a few foxes that didn't get away but danced about a bit after being shot. These run at 3720 ish with N140 @ 28.1 grs with col 2.248" and are now my load of choice. I was shooting a target board at 300yds down a man made drainage ditch and was happy with the grouping so walked back from the target to the firing point. I decided to have one shot for personal satisfaction, win or lose, now that I knew the exact corrections. Off a bipod and obviously no wind due to the sheltering of the ditch walls, I fired but couldn't see the hole on the target through the scope. I walked down and couldn't believe it, it was absolutely spot on :huh:

Obviously this wouldn't happen every time but on this occasion it raised a smile, very happy!

Just looking to get a .204 t3 super varmint as a night foxing rig, do you all reccomend 39 g what are people's bullet head of choice, also wondered was the velocities with a 20" barrel?

I have a stock CZ 527 American Varmint in 204 (or only partially have as my girl friend has laid claim to it) and it is one ridiculously accurate rifle. I load only 40 grain V-Max as they are dirt cheap and deliver half MOA , 5 shot groups when loaded over Varget. My girl friend, to whom I insisted she buy her own bullets if she was commandeering my rifle, just took delivery of 1000 Nosler 40 grain ballistic tips for next season's prairiedog shoot. Which brings me to the crux of the post: Her first time behind the rifle she shot a prairiedog at just under 300 yards as it was lying flat on top of it's hole. A 3" tall by 7" long target. I told her to hold on and she sent the rodent flying. Out to 300 it is a varmint laser.

Don't let your girl friend use it....~Andrew

My velocities are with a 26" barrel.

My powder of choice Vit N140

My bullet of choice Sierra 39gr BK

Don't forget Andrew is in USA so pricing and availability will be different for you and I.

Going up to look at a 20" Tikka t3, will velocities be much lower or will i just need a different faster powder?

39gr smk with rl10 I get 3441 fps @51 degrees 20" tikka t3 could get a lot more speed but not sure it's needed

Archived