powder measure- harrells

Sakoboomstick

Harrels are well made and I use one but all volumetrice powder measures struggle giving consistent throws with stick powders, the coarser the grains the less consistent they can be. Even with the harrel I trickle up all my long range loads (anything over 300 yards).

I use a harrel for all my loading. With VHIT133 it throws within 0.1g or less, I cant see the variance on the targets at 500 yards with it, there is more to velocity spread than just powder charge variance and provided powder charge is held to within resonable tolerance the other factors i.e neck tension seem more important at shorter ranges anyhow. It also throws varget and benchmark with similar accuracy havent tried much else in it. I am really happy with mine and wouldnt hesitate to buy it again, I now spend much less time loading and watching scales settle and far more time out shooting , I suppose if I was shooting out past 500 yards all the time I might trickle up but out to this distance I just dont see the benifit with the harrel/vhit133 setup.

The harrel works fine with long grains for me, but it wont meter the vhit 500 [double based ] powders for love nor money, and its not due to the length of kernel either. Excellent bit of kit, and not in the same league as the cheaper ones like rcbs, lee, redding etc.

I have to dissagree with you Dave, my Harrel dispenses accurate charges of Vit 550 no problem.

I check weigh every 5th throw to make sure it is not varying away from the original charge weight, it is always within a tenth of a grain, so as far as i am concerned it throws equally accurate charges in between checks.

Ian.

I have a mate with a Harrel, it works just fine with all the powders he uses. Mainly Varget, RL 15 and Retumbo.

Me, i'm still in the stone age - Lyman 1200 thrown half a grain light and then charge re-weighed and trickled up on Acculab scales.

Takes about an hour to load 100 cases using this method - yes slower than a Harrel, but if I buy a Harrel its just more expense, hang on a minute, the Lymans max weigh is 70 grains, now the 338 is about to be born start loads will be larger than that,,,,,,arghhhhhhhhh!!! :rolleyes::P:D

Ronin one quick phone call to sinclair will have you a nice new shiny harrel to load for that nice new rifle :rolleyes:

Ronin one quick phone call to sinclair will have you a nice new shiny harrel to load for that nice new rifle :rolleyes:

Get thee behind me, foul tempter of shiny goods :P:D:wacko:

Harrels are well made and I use one but all volumetrice powder measures struggle giving consistent throws with stick powders, the coarser the grains the less consistent they can be. Even with the harrel I trickle up all my long range loads (anything over 300 yards).

I wouldn't be without mine, have to say I share JohnMH experiences, same as John with load developement or long range loads, just gives you confidence and peace of mind that everything is as consistent as possible, one less variable.

Did some loading for the 221 Fireball yesterday, and have to say the Harrell loves Vit. N120, it meters sweeet. :rolleyes::P

Cheers Steve

Guest dasherman

I found my Harrel is best with smaller charges and once you get to .243 size loads consistancy was not so good. If I'm going to trickle up I still use my RCBS one as it seems to cope better dumping larger [if not as accurate] loads. If you need a charge larger than your measure will cope with just split it in half and dump twice [only use if your going to trickle up to weight]

The Harrell I would consider buying is advertised to measure up to 120g.

I would be looking at throwing 87 - 95 grains of RL25, H1000, Vit 500 series etc for the 338 - all my other loads are within the limit for the Lyman 1200.

Now you buxxxrs have set my mind going.....

Do I throw half charges in the lyman and trickle up (as I intended)

Or buy a Harrell and throw once?

Those that are in favour of the Harrell, please send donations to.......... :rolleyes:

Anyone have experience of large measure throwing in the Harrels?

Would anyone care to do a sample test of 10 or so charges thrown at 90 grains with H1000 and see how accurate it is (or RL25 if you have it)

Ta

alex I have the smaller benchrest one, throws chrages upto about 50-60 grains iirc so perfect for upto .308 or so, if you are using somehting bigger you may need one of the bigger ones.

Archived