MTM Electronic Scale needs warming up...?

phillips321

Hi guys,

I've did some reloading today and used my new MTM Electronic Scale rather than my Lee safety scales

what I've noticed is that they take a while sat on the side switched on until they become reliable, before that they can be out by sometimes up to 1.0grains, is this normal?

I cross referenced with the Lee safety scales when i realised something was a bit odd and noticed they were out halfway through my loading session when i'd measured about 15 bullets. The first cases i'd loaded i measured using the MTM Electronic Scales at 22.0 grains, but after i noticed something was up i poured the power back on the scales of the first cases and they read 21.6grains.

Thus every single load i then measure with both the MTM and the Lee scales, everything was fine after that.

So, what i've noticed is that the MTM needs a fair few measurements on it in order to 'warm it up' so to speak. Does anyone else notice this?

Thanks in advance

Got to say - that would shake my confidence and I wouldn't ever trust them again. An extra 1.6 grains might be ok in a lager case with a moderate load but with a hot load on a hot day it might be enough to make your eyes water.

I used both the scales you mention - briefly! The MTM scales were probably like yours, it was years ago I cant recall the specific issue I had with them, but, as 1066 said, after that you just cant use them, how will you ever be sure they have "settled"? if you don't have confidence in the reading they are useless.

The Lee scale was very fiddly and took forever to settle IIRC.

Get a set of RCBS or similar balance scales (secondhand if necessary, ebay works), and I can't recommend highly enough 1066's Targetmaster trickler, you'll never look back.

Absolute turd. Bin them and keep yourself safe. Had 2 sets and both 'went off' after 2-3 months.

They'd read happily measuring 3.5gr of Bullseye for a .38spl load, but anything heavier for rifle stuff they were reading very inconsistently, often under. Not good, and not safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Think its just electronic scales for you, I used some hornady ones and they were rubbish. Wouldnt measure the same twice,

cant go wrong with a good quality beam balance and a sharp eye

Not all electronic scales are the same ;)

However, you need to spend a fair amount of money to get a scale suitable for accurately and repeatedly measuring down to 0.1 of a grain. A properly tuned Charge master can be pretty good, but every now and then it will throw a wobbly and you have to be paying attention or you might miss it.

it's not just 'warming up' it's about the type of technology they use to measure. Even if you were to leave an inexpensive scale to warm up for 24 hours, it will still drift during a reloading session so the error gradually gets worse and worse.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, use a beam scale.

Archived