Unfortunately anyone brave enough to stick their head above the parapet inevitably gets it shot off such is the emotive subject of moderators :lol: On that basis alone hats off to the S/R team for having a go

As far as I can see out of all of the testing team only Pete Jackson had any vested interest and he supplied the testing equipment with the results being verified by the other members of the team.To suggest (as seen on other forums) that the results were somehow doctored in favour of certain makes just seems like sour grapes

As far as I read the test it appears to me that all those tested had both good and bad points and each tester had their own personal favourites all of which differed.This goes to show that the quietest isn`t always the most popular

Ian,If you still haven`t got a copy PM me your address and I`ll send you the August issue

In my absent-mindedness i completely forgot about the controversy anything to do with Moderators can cause. :lol:

I only realised after posting and the lack of replies, that members could easily construe this post as "bait" to get things kicking off, that was not my intention at all but a genuine enquirey regarding the article.

Tim, thanks for the offer mate, PM on its way.

Now, was thinking of deleting the thread but if you think it should stay then so be it, if not i will pull it or you can do it yourself, its up to you. ;)

Ian.

Ian

I can`t for the life of me think why the moderator subject causes such mayhem and bad feeling ;) Theres no reason why we shouldn`t be able to have an adult debate on the subject without it degenerating into the fracas we`ve seen before.Forums like this are set up to pass on our experiences and views to others that are interested.We should be able to discuss mods in the same ambience that we do with most other subjects on here which don`t degenerate into bedlam

I use Reflex,ASE Utra,Pes,ATec,Stealth and Wildcat all on different rifles and I can honestly say that there isn`t one that I`d choose above all others.Each one has its attributes on the various rifles I own and its what I`m confident with that matters most

Theres no reason why we can`t leave this open if we can debate without any nastiness :lol:

Soon I will be purchasing a mod for a .243 calibre.

Right so in a nutshell can somebody narrow the field for me ( all makes considered)

1/ Not bothered about stripping it just using it.

2/ prefer over barrel for less length increase, due to being a short arse.

3/ Lightweight

4/ Doesn't have to be the quietest as long as it does something, bit pointless otherwise.

Does anybody buy the T4 ? is it better than a T8 for the above or is it a bit pointless and just buy the T8?

Open on material choice.

Reflex T8 with neopreme cover to take the ring away would be my choice with the criteria you set out.

I`ve not seen many T4`s about to be honest as most folks just get the 8 stack

By now i think most of you know my views on moddys but just to re-iterate i loath them, however i am aware of the noise pollution issue and i regard that as a major threat to our sport.

I have managed to put off the purchase of a moderator up untill now, so inevatabley i will have to aquire one soon.

To me compactness and fit are the most important features secondary to noise reduction and i prefer an over-barrel type for better balance.

I have no preference apart from the one i buy must be available with a 5/8 thread.

Ian.

I have no preference apart from the one i buy must be available with a 5/8 thread.

Ian.

Hi Ian

thats simple then, buy the one you want and machine the thread yourself - you know it makes sense :lol:;)

:lol:;):D:D:D

Ian

i am surprised you have not made your self one Ian. but i suppose if you hate them you don't have a lot of drive to do the job.

i 2 don't like mods, and would not have one on my rifle if it was not for the noise.we shoot (when i get out) in and around houses,all so if your deer lease is with the forestry you will have to have a mod fitted in the very very near future.

As for Stuart Carin and the stealth mod.

i Spock to him the other day on the phone.

he has employed to new staff to get the mods back up and running,and i believe a new factory has been found,

the mods are going to be restarted but when the first one will roll off the production line is anyones guess.

but i do hope they do start again as i really like the mods,and would not be with out mine.

Ian

come on chap lets have another out there,get your head around designing a mod,as there is still room for a better thought out mod,as we are far far from perfection,and this is y we have so many arguments about mods.as we are all looking for something different, IE some people are just bothered about how quiet the mod is

some are just bothered about the added length

some how wide it is

most are bothered about weight

and then there are the ones that are bothered about a combination of the above and a myriad of other things.

mods are over priced IMHO £275 for a plain tube threaded at both ends,and mass produced baffles is a joke.

but i have brought loads of them and each time they get better and better,and if someone rings up and asks what is the best mod on the market,i ask what would you like the mod to be, the lightest, the quietest,the longest lasting.or the cheapest, as no mod out there has all the things i have just listed, its all down to what you as an individual wants,

me i like my mods light, and over barrel so you don't have the cantilever effect end cans give you,and the can not extend the barrel to much,

i have in my arsenal to day,

Stealth

A-Tec

A-Tec rimfire

wildcat P8

wildcat whisper

ATB

Colin :D

Thanks for the replies, I already have a T8 on my 308 but just wanted to see your opinions in case of other choices.

The T4 as stated doesn't seem that popular, can't remember the last time I saw one?

Can we not collectively create a table of mods giving an indication of the lightest, quietest etc.

To say one is best is obviously controversial as we have seen in the past, but what about picking out the good and bad points of each and making it a sticky for reference purposes?

Obviously the information would need to be collated and we would have to agree to some extent :lol::lol:

i have the t8 on my 22-250 works well cant really complane about it but having said that a couple of mates have got the pes works well on there 243 ai and custom 308 looks sexy as hell as well but that is just my opinion

have heard that the t4 cant deal with the pressure caused by most rifles over 223

all the best bruxie

Guest northernchris

Eldon

Have a look at the ASE Utra Compact and PES are both very well put together and made to last a very long time,they are not heavy and both reduce noise down to good levels,these performed very well in the "test".I still love the A-Tec for my stalking rifle which also came out well in the running.

There are plenty of mods out there just watch what you buy,one mod that has already been mentioned in the thread was the "culprit" that wreaked a chrono last year during testing and "CLAIMED" to reduce levels down to around 104 Db :lol:

A table would be a good idea except how would you "quantify" noise levels without the right gear????

I was involved with the Sporting Rifle test which was done with PROPER sound test gear and the Tech help of Peter Jackson who is proberbly one of the most honest talking guys in the trade bar none,the test results are in this months mag but if you havnt got a copy it i will post the word doc of it if the site owners Gary and Tim are happy for me to do so.???????????

The mod topic is always a hot potato just a shame that one of the suppliers whos mod that didnt come up to scratch is now running around bitching about the test,i went in to my local shop yesterday to collect some rifle repairs that they wanted doing to find he had been on the phone to them bitching about me and the test,if he dont like the results he should get other mags to test it for him,you all know the ones i mean where they never have a bad word to say about any gear they have :lol:

Anybody that has heard Vermincinertor let drive with his braked 22.250AI will be praying that he gets a moddy sorted for it. So good solid advice is needed for the sake of us his friends !

I ponced a copy of the mag at the Game Fair. I will try and get my local supermarket to stock it, the owner is a mate. My next moddy will be a CQB providing we can do the 5/8x24 (28?) EF thread, Northern Chris advises that this is a special order.

A

Ideally wants to be finer, thread marked on my T8 is 5/8EF, I think this is 5/8 x 24 or 28. That seems pretty coarse as it is, dont want it coming loose.

A

Guest northernchris

Its your call Geoff,but in my mind the finer thread are fine IF you are useing a "Reflex" type mod where you have the rear bush supporting the mod while helping with alignment while attaching the mod to the rifle (less chace of cross threading) ,as you would want to remove the ASE Compact every time you have had the rifle out and about.

A course thread would work just aswell EXCEPT the ASE is an end can type mod so with the courser there would be LESS chance of cross threading when refitting as there is no rear support/bush to help with the alignment.

Fine threads will help with combating mods coming loose but there are many other reasons why they do come loose,like badly cut threads etc.

well just to add an oppion to the debate i used to have one reflex t8 thread 1/2 inch unf that was proofed to 308 but also doubled up on my 223 this saw ten years faithful service and followed the advise of remove after each use and a squirt of wd 40 this worked great until i changed my 308 . So chopped in the 308 and mod and brought a t8 mod to replace it the one i brought was a 25 cal model as i have noticed that my mates t8 bored for a 223 was noticeable louder than the 25 cal and 308 versions i have used with him . the new 308 has had a wildcat predator 12 fitted on a 5/8 thread and all i can say is that so far the noise reduction seems to be better than the reflex cant really comment on the recoil reduction as the new rifle is some 4lbs heavier so not getting a true comparsion.

the one thing that does confuse me is the proof debarcal as the original was proofed when the rifle was threaded so no problem the replacement 25 cal reflex was purchased from a supplier willing to sell it as was with the finish proof . the new 308 was supplied threaded and proofed but couldnt buya wild cat mod without it being proofed from the rifle supplier but will give him his due as he stood the cost as part of the deal .

so the muddy waters of mods just seems to get darker

The proof issue is a con. Mods do not have to be proofed.There is no mention of them in the proof acts, as they didn,t exist.Its a ruse to add a bit more to the price of a mod....nothing more. A moderator will be proofed for nothing, if its fitted to a new rifle that is sent for proof on import to this country.Some forces insist on proofed mods...again...broccoli.

A re writing of the gun barrel proof acts is long overdue, the shooting public are being conned, by chinese whispers, half truths, and gutless wonders who wont stand up to the proof houses.

I'm with you Baldie

When I went to the proof house in Birmingham I entered into a debate about the very same topic and the guy at the counter went nuts, bottom line was he'd got my boom stick, I was waiting for it and didn't need further delays but he was talking complete broccoli but hey keeps him in a job doesn't it!

Archived