Yeah Go Aussie's

What is the score with pistols/revolvers?

Anything p to .38/9mm, min 5" barrel and max 10rd capacity

My brother lives south of Brisbane and has 5 or 6 handguns for target shooting.

They aren't hard to get.

It is not uncommon to see private security guards at banks/shops etc armed with a Colt Python or similar

Just read in a Aussie magazine about , silencers being allowed for pest control & sport shooting ? , in NSW ?

Some Aussie's have been asking Qs on New Zealand shooting forums , in particular about Silencers/suppressors , about getting them approved again in Aussie on a hearing loss / health issue angle ?

Anything p to .38/9mm, min 5" barrel and max 10rd capacity

You can also possess .40 semi auto and larger if you compete in NRA Action and IPSC and shoot overseas, plus other approved pistol matches such as Cowboy action and Silhouette. A lot of the top IPSC and NRA Action shooters used to come over to NZ to justify owning the larger calibres as there was no similar restriction.

Shooting shooter magazine , May 2016 , Issue ,

" shooters & hunters in NSW wil now have the option of selecting sports shooting & recreational hunting " as reasons for applying to own a sound moderator for their firearms , a move welcomed by Shooters & Fishers Party , MLC Robert Borsak .

I'll believe it when i see it.

This is part of the application form.

What is a silencer? Definition: Silencers or any other device designed for attachment to a firearm for the purposes of muffling, reducing or stopping the noise created by firing the firearm. Why are two permits required to possess and use a silencer? A silencer is classified as a prohibited weapon under clause 4(3) of Schedule 1 of the Weapons Prohibition Act 1998 (the Weapons Act) . To lawfully possess or use a prohibited weapon listed in Schedule 1 of the Weapons Act, a person must hold a prohibited weapon permit authorising possession or use of the weapon. In order to obtain such a permit a person must have a genuine reason for possession and use of the silencer. Where a silencer is attached to a firearm, the firearm is classified as a prohibited firearm by item 10 of Schedule 1 of the Firearms Act 1996. Accordingly, the following licence/permits are required: * Prohibited Weapon Permit to authorise the possession and use of the silencer, and * Firearms Licence to authorise the possession and use of firearms, and * Firearms Permit to authorise the possession and use of the prohibited firearm. Who would be able to establish a genuine reason to possess and use a silencer? The applicant must demonstrate that the possession and use of a silencer is necessary in the conduct of the applicant's business or employment or for the activity concerned. Business/Employment Purposes: *A person employed by a government agency, such as the National Parks and Wildlife Service or the Local Lands Service who can demonstrate it is necessary in the conduct of that employment to possess and use the silencer, OR *A person who is a professional licensed contract shooter and is contracted to control feral animals or vermin on behalf of a government agency or on behalf of another person and can demonstrate it is necessary in the conduct of that employment to possess and use the silencer, OR *A person on behalf of a registered pest control business who is required to control feral animals or vermin and can demonstrate it is necessary in the conduct of that employment to possess and use the silencer, OR Recreational/Sporting Purposes: * A person who can demonstrate that their recreational/sporting activity requires the possession and use of a silencer. Note: A genuine reason may be established to possess or use a silencer which falls under a separate and specific prohibited weapons permit (A prohibited weapons dealer, theatrical armourer, collector or museum etc). These permits have a separate application process. Please refer to the Permits page on the Firearms Registry Internet site for further information. What is the term of the permit? The permit will be issued for a maximum term of 5 years. How much will the permit cost? The prescribed fee for this permit is $127. Your payment must accompany the application. You may pay by cheque or money order made payable to the NSW Police Force or by filling out the credit card details on the reverse of the application form. An additional $25 fee is required for each person, other than the permit holder, completing a P639 form to be listed and authorised by the permit.

Can anyone think of a reason why you MUST and why its necessary to have a silencer?

Your ears hurting, and being able to shoot 1 or more foxes at a time doesn't count.

Not so many years ago It was pretty much like that over here regarding sound moderators, I was turned down several times when applying for a mod. (Probably 35 ish years ago)

Can anyone remember what changed the the law over here to allow civilian moderator ownership? I can remember even when the law changed some police forces allowing them while others wouldn't.

Given how insane your Aussie rules/laws are in reguards safety at work have become , YES , I can see you easily getting permits ( maybe ) , I remember , being told that once the temp got over 43 C , that you stoped work , Aussie Army , and if the road trip was more than 2 hrs , they put you on a AC bus , while your pack rode in the empty Unimog truck .

And while in camp , you had to have a web belt on & a full canten at all times , even thru you had water taps every 50yds for the grass ???

Donot question IT , me I just found it FUNNY .

So Health & Safety , YES

• 2 weeks later...

Archived