I have been looking at field boots, and as much as wellies are practical, I need more ankle support.

happy to pay more for something worth keeping a few years ,So far I have narrowed it down to Le Chameau Arran gtx or Meindl Dovre GTX

has anyone had any experience with these brands or could you recommend a better option?

I have used Chameau ankle boots every day on concrete floors ( I have damaged feet and have to wear insoles), they wear through the bottoms in about 12 months. On grass I would expect a far longer life but I am hard on boots.

A

If your doing a lot of walking then Goretex whilst keeping water out will unfortunately keep sweat in , a good option for non Goretex would be Scarpa SL activ boots .

There are lots of good boots out there from Altberg , AKU , Meindl etc etc

OSOK

For anyone who's about to buy a pair of wellies , Take a look at the Dunlop Purofort Thermo plus . I've had a few of the so called ' Hunting brands ' but these are most comfortable i've used . Your not even aware of the steel toe cap and your not feeling the ground like with most wellies .

I've had these now for 18 months and tempted to buy another pair incase some bright spark at Dunlop decides to stop making them for whatever reason .

I put a pair of gel insoles into them but if i'm honest it wasn't needed as they are nothing like the norm .

OSOK

Altberg boots. British made, top quality and very comfy. Had mine a while now (military Altberg combat high boots). Very light, comfy and tough. Worn them in extreme weather through very boggy ground and providing I keep them conditioned with Leder Gris, they've kept my feet nice and dry. Why anyone would want to pay £££££££'s for Gucci "shooting" boots when you can pick a pair of these up for under £70 is beyond me, but each to their own. Highly recommended.

Archived