Sierra Tipped Matchkings

does any one know if these tips can handle high temp , ie not melt like the a-maxs etc ?

Sierra has been in the bullet business a very long time, and they know a thing or 2 about making some of the best in the world.

I think anything they release has been extensively tested, and besides, don't they make Varmint bullets with green tips already?

I'd be sure that those go a lot faster than their TMK range.

Personally I think Hornady see these as competition and have created a little myth because they're running scared.....but I can't prove that :-) (Matt)

People crank 32 grain V-Max -with that same polymer tip- out of 204's at 4000 fps. But my 168 grain A-Max at 2700 fps melts going down range? I shot my smallest 1000 yard group ever last Sunday using 168 grain A-Max....~Andrew

I get superb accuracy out of 140.155 and 168gr amaxs.i too am thinking the tips don't melt either.maybe some of the 4000 fps cartridges may be getting close.there must be alot of heat from friction as the bullet shoots frew.how on earth could anybody find this out anyway

That is a question I asked: What definitive proof can they offer when so many shooters have used them from an assortment of different rifles in many chamberings? Now, I'm sure they have an answer to that question but the proof of the pudding is in the tasting, right? Hornady still loads their Match loads with A-Max despite the fact that they are now deemed..... inferior?

For me, the strangest part of the ELD saga is the very fact that they publicized it. Really. Why wouldn't you just quietly sell off the A-Max while offering the ELD bullets concurrently -unless it was to get into the pockets of the Precision Rifle Shooters who just can't see their way to shooting an inferior bullet. OMG! Now they know why they dropped those points at the 1200 yard targets! It wasn't their faulty wind doping and lack of preparation! It was a 2nd rate bullet!

And as I mentioned in an earlier post, just try asking Hornady to replace the 1200 A-Max 168's you have stockpiled with some new competition-worthy ELD's. They won't.

The fact that ELD's price it 12 - 15% more than A-Max probably has no bearing on the discussion....~Andrew

So what you are saying is that Hornady is lying ?

I think the high speed varmint stuff is not in the air long enough to melt in most cases , you donot shoot varmints at 800-900 yds plus , it takes velocity and time to get the temp up to a level they would melt , the Blackbird SR-71 has a Titanium skin that glows red at mach 3 flight , so maybe things do get hot at high speed ?

If Amax was so good , ie in accuracy & high BC , I would think it would be the bullet of choice for long range competitors , but its not , maybe there is a reason or not ?

In NZ shooters have noticed a divergance of Amax away from the predicted drop at long range , this would suggest the BC is changing drastically for some reason .

But forgettting all the above , I have asked a simple question , is the plastic they use have a high melt temp like the new Hornady bullets .

Later Chris

On the Amax subject Hornady are not stating the accuracy is bad or the BC is ruined at longer ranges with Amax (and it's clearly not). They are simply saying they have found a way to keep the BC figures a little higher and improve consistency by reducing tip deformation. That's my take on it. I've got 1000 ELD to test in my 6.5x47. I just need to find time and weather to get out.

On the Amax subject Hornady are not stating the accuracy is bad or the BC is ruined at longer ranges with Amax (and it's clearly not). They are simply saying they have found a way to keep the BC figures a little higher and improve consistency by reducing tip deformation. That's my take on it. I've got 1000 ELD to test in my 6.5x47. I just need to find time and weather to get out.

I've got time and a .260 that'd love them I'm sure ;)

My take on it is a large part of it is marketing, smoke and mirrors.

Still not convinced A-Max and V-Max are different beasts either myself - other than minor differences in weights ofcourse. They both shoot excellently, and absolutely destroy things.

I'd like to try the TMK's, always found sierras more consistent for weight out the box over A-Max.

I've got time and a .260 that'd love them I'm sure ;)

My take on it is a large part of it is marketing, smoke and mirrors.

Still not convinced A-Max and V-Max are different beasts either myself - other than minor differences in weights ofcourse. They both shoot excellently, and absolutely destroy things.

I'd like to try the TMK's, always found sierras more consistent for weight out the box over A-Max.

TMK (in the .224 version at least) have been so easy to tune compared to Amax. Much less seating depth fussy and more consistent. If I had the choice between the TMK and Amax from my findings so far it would be TMK all day.

Guess I'll have to play the waiting game for 6.5 TMK's. Imagine they will go quick quick.

• 1 month later...

TMK (in the .224 version at least) have been so easy to tune compared to Amax. Much less seating depth fussy and more consistent. If I had the choice between the TMK and Amax from my findings so far it would be TMK all day.

I agree. I've tried them in 69g guise at 400 yards and they manage very consistent results. . Not put them through the crony yet in 223 but judging by bullet drop and claimed BC they're shooting around 2800fps with the load I'm using. Haven't tried them for expansion but they're not sold as expanding. Be interested in sectioning one to compare with my V-max though.

Archived