Kahles new scope

Scotch_egg

What a great idea! That's easier to dial without breaking mount. You could keep the trigger hand poised whilst you correct. I like it.

That is the idea, but I prefer the right side windage asjustment.

I am more concerned (this is from the prone position) about keeping my sight on target and controlling my elevation, which I do with my left hand on the rearbag/monopod. It is much easier for me to adjust elevation and windage with my right hand that is only working the trigger.

JMHO

Ewen

Hurry up and get one bought Scotch, I want a look at that reticle. :)

I have been waiting for this one but now Ewan had thrown in the point about holding the rear bag on target I need to have a play. I don't think my right hand can reach the windage turret when prone. But this needs more investigation.

The reticle is a mix of the SKMR and SKMR2, a cracking mix I think.

Scotch,well it's a fine scope and at least gives more options.

We Probably run into human design ergonomic issues-as with all machine interfaces.

There are more functions than hands,and when we add in preferences like 'keep trigger finger free' or 'use one hand for the back bag adjust' we run out of options if both are desired-they simply can't be the same hand (right or left!).

It's a nice reticule-thank goodness the brochure prints the measures on a separate picture,so the reticule appears as in use.

I know some don't like,but the xmas tree design has positives-and bypasses the old FFP/SFP chestnuts...I'd like to see a mirror image one above too-then adjust from bullet splash is a NO HANDS option- bullet strike was say, 6 low and two right-so hold 6 high and two left.(whether mil or moa.)Simples,fast and accurate enough-except perhaps for Bench Rest.And of course more precise turret adjust is still available-when chosen (with calibrations as on reticule,of course.)

Then maybe one could always get by with three hands,and two mostly -one on bag,one on trigger..

:-)

gbal

Absolutely what to 'aim' for...asI said the old mil/moa debate is superseeded largely by iproved technology,and the slight lack of fine precision in mil markings can be minimised,by of course gradations in lesser fractions of a mil....just a moa can be 1/4 or 1/8 clicks,maybe finer.

In context though,with moa,a 1/4 click adjust is 2 inches at 800y,and a 1/8 click is an inch at 800.

I do wonder just how many targets are missed by only one inch at 800y.

A higher magnification scope and finer reticule (in an equally reliable dialling scope) would probably give more hit % improvement,but above all else,it is improvement in the 'shooting solution'- (the accuracy from the shooter,including ballistic engine input data,where far and away the largest potential error is in wind reading skill.) WEZ analysis makes this very clear,though some can read total net wind better than 10%. You have to,otherwise it's the weak link! :-)

A very good scope is an asset,of course.

g

The chat with Scotch Re click value was more 1cm vs 0.5cm clicks (0.1 milrad vs 0.05 milrad). The idea being that 10 shot 5cm groups are not unusual here, with a 5cm bull, so you can do yourself a lot of favours by having a scope that shifts impact 1.5cm @ 300m, rather than 3cm. At a comp the other week a few people were getting 10 shot 5cm groups at 400m and 500m, again big advantage 0.5cm clicks to get centered in the bull. It was a LR comp not a br comp.

Scope wise the floating dot works for me but not for others. the k624I is very good but not as good as a March, the March offers wider and higher mag range, at 40x under good conditions you can spot your own shots @500m in white targets, it has a much closer focus range and tracks perfectly. What's not to like?

Christmas tree reticules do not float my boat as yes they can be useful at longer range but then I have time to dial or if not hold off on the target. Just personal preference but I only need one horizontal and one vertical ruler inside the scope - which is all a mildot type ret really is. Even the European tactical comps here are not as much run and gun as the US ones. The emphasis is still very much on precision.

I bought one of the March's (5-40 etc) about 6 months ago. Never shot as well or consistently, when I discussed it with Gary I reckoned I'd only ever use 40x for spotting.... scope is rarely off 40x and it doesn't half tighten up your groups at whatever distance you're shooting. My shooting buddies reckoned I was mad dropping nearly 3k on a scope but at least one of then would now sell a kidney for one :D

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Now that's thrown a curve ball in as that's the exact rest I'm after, but vortex have just announced a new razor HD AMG scope so that's two new options. Here we go again. Have to look at them at shooting show hopefully.

Archived