adjusting a fixed parrallax scope

Swarovski1

It can be done, usually by unscrewing the objective locking ring, then moving the objective lens so the parallax is how you want it, then screw the locking ring back in place. Not the sort of job I would like to do on premium glass, but I've done it on cheaper scopes to parallax down to air rifle ranges. I think Nick Jenkinson used to offer the service, might be worth joining a FT/HFT (air rifle) site or ask at a club as they are the ones that tend to do it

It can be done, usually by unscrewing the objective locking ring, then moving the objective lens so the parallax is how you want it, then screw the locking ring back in place. Not the sort of job I would like to do on premium glass, but I've done it on cheaper scopes to parallax down to air rifle ranges. I think Nick Jenkinson used to offer the service, might be worth joining a FT/HFT (air rifle) site or ask at a club as they are the ones that tend to do it

When doing this adjustment does that mean you lose the gas inside the scope and run the risk of it fogging?

When doing this adjustment does that mean you lose the gas inside the scope and run the risk of it fogging?

Depends on the glass Alan, some will have O rings to keep a seal, others won't. I didn't experience any problems with the one I done (but it was a cheaper one I could easily replace), you also have to consider you will void any warranty on the scope.

Swaro,

I adjusted a Leupold 12X so I could focus it down to 20 yards for use on an airgun. The outer retaining ring has to be unscrewed first, that's the bit in front of the 'golden ring'. Mine had obviously been off before as it was only finger tight, I was prepared to have to use a rubber strap wrench. When you get that off there will probably be a lock ring inside the housing holding the actual lens assembly in place. That and the lens assembly have a pair of opposed notches in the rim so they can be inserted/removed during assembly. I found a plastic scale rule that fit the notches perfectly and they weren't tight, just carefully backed off the lock ring until I could remove it, then the lens assembly itself, they're threaded conventionally, righty-tighty. I unscrewed the lens assembly which on the 12x has an adjustable objective, but it will probably be similar on non-adjustable models, half a turn at a time until I could start seeing a difference through the scope. I can't remember how many turns but it was a few and I ended up having a focus range from 20 yards to 50 yards which was perfect for what I wanted. Then just screw the lock ring back up against the lens and refit the outer cover ring. I thought about using a small dab of threadlock in case anything wanted to move but didn't in the end and everything seems the same as when it was done about six months ago and I guess a springer air gun is about as bad for a scope as anything out there within reason. If I do detect any change in the settings I'll just pull it apart again and introduce a locking agent on the threads. Honestly, it was very easy to do assuming you can get the outer cover off, I've heard they can be very tightly fitted.

Richard

Archived