Giraud trimmer experiences

DaveT

Getting fed up with lots and lots of hand 'twiddling' to trim cases (using Wilson...its good but still tedious for volume prep) and In / Outside chamfer so looking at Giraud.

Like most kit its damned expensive.....any current user views out there re is it worth the money?

Cheers

Looked at the 'big' unit which is good

Ended up purchased one of the tri ways http://www.giraudtool.com/Tri%20Way%20Trimmer.htm and found it very good, will be buying some more, no faffing changing and setting up.

Cannot personnaly see the advantage of the big unit over the triway put into a drill and instantly up and running for me is the way to go.

But each to thier own.

T

I will need to go back to the website and do some maths here.......

Tri-way looks good on price as you supply power source but you need one per calibre?

Big machine also needs calibre specific components.

I bought a Triway a few months back, I previously used a Wilson which i also found very good but slow.

The Triway is definitely quicker and also chamfers the neck in the single step.

Getting a uniform inside neck chamfer can be a little tricky as there's an inherent case wobble (same as the large version of the trimmer, Erik Cortina mentions this in one of his reloading videos). You can end up with an uneven cut.

Also, I find I must resize before using it, otherwise it won't accept the case. This is one aspect where the Wilson is better.

You will need one Tiway per calibre that you reload for.

Overall, I prefer it over the Wilson.

Martin

I have had one of the Giraud big machines for a few years now and would not be without it. All my brass gets full length sized and shoved through the trimmer every firing. Sound tedious....it isn't. The machine makes things so much faster, it daft not to.

Trim and inside/outside chamfer, 100 cases in 5 minutes flat.

Try doing that with any other .

Dave......think I am sold.........just need to get past my pain threshold on the cost....I am truly sick of doing it manually!

Dave......think I am sold.........just need to get past my pain threshold on the cost....I am truly sick of doing it manually!

The cost is soon forgotten when you see what a beautiful job it does, and its as simple as a twist of the wrist and its done.

The amount of ammo I get through in .223 and .308, i could,t manage without the LEM cleaner, Giraud trimmer, Annealer and Dillons.

The reloading just wouldn't get done.

I,m trying to automate as much as possible, and selling the oddball calibre guns I have in favour of easy to reload military cartridges.

I want to spend more time shooting, so its .223 , 9mm , .308 , .338 and hopefully in 12 months a .50.

The only cartridge i,m willing to mess about with in the pipeline will be a Creedmoor barrel for a forthcoming AX.

I,ve realised just how much crap is talked about reloading over the years. I,m still winning national comps with Dillon loaded ammunition.

The practical rifle class season at Diggle being the last. Yesterday in fact.

Hey me too ! Dillon 650 and Giraud all the way. LEM cleaner on the list when i try your on Wednesday !

The cost is soon forgotten when you see what a beautiful job it does, and its as simple as a twist of the wrist and its done.

The amount of ammo I get through in .223 and .308, i could,t manage without the LEM cleaner, Giraud trimmer, Annealer and Dillons.

The reloading just wouldn't get done.

I,m trying to automate as much as possible, and selling the oddball calibre guns I have in favour of easy to reload military cartridges.

I want to spend more time shooting, so its .223 , 9mm , .308 , .338 and hopefully in 12 months a .50.

The only cartridge i,m willing to mess about with in the pipeline will be a Creedmoor barrel for a forthcoming AX.

I,ve realised just how much crap is talked about reloading over the years. I,m still winning national comps with Dillon loaded ammunition.

The practical rifle class season at Diggle being the last. Yesterday in fact.

I always trust to your judgement Dave..........but I could never give up my 260 or the 6mm SLR ...loving those!

Looks like Giraud will be getting my business!

You have no need to Dave. When you order your trimmer, get a blank holder for everything you want to trim, then send them up. I can ream them with the reamers used in your chambers. All you have to do is full length size and then trim.

Archived