Santa's Come early Update on 338

Pat

thanks, I guess I am fortunate in that I can create my rifles on my own - if I had to rely on a gunsmith - well, it would be very expensive and a long time in the making (this is not a reflection or criticism on any of the smiths here or any I have used in the past, I hasten to add)

Simple fact is, I have the tools and am in a position where I may be changing career soon (if I dont then I have a very interesting fallback), I always (like since I started shooting) dreamed of making my own rifles and was eventually inspired by a guy over here who has made a few rifles and is the current small group holder at 1000yd benchrest.

I bought the equipment and started making rifles for myself - I had a few spaces on my firearms ticket - nothing like practicing using your own money that sharpens the mind very quickly.

Kind of daunting experience making the 338 (although it is build #4 for myself - its still pretty scary even though ive shot a few ;) bigger and punchier rounds ;) ) , especially when pulling the trigger for the first time - testament to the work I guess, it held together ;):D

Yep, the machinery and tooling were quite expensive, but with the four rifles I have made for myself, would have cost far more had I got someone else to make them and I would possibly still be waiting for #2, 3 and 4.

Its proved to me and others that it can be done and from a personal perspective I now know I can do it to a fairly high standard (that I am happy with) - thats satisfaction enough for me.

The learning process has been steep and I am still learning, but hell its fun :D:D:D

PS, loved the Nugent video in the shot placement thread ;)

Looks very nice indeed ;)

May I suggest one addition, a B&T mod to finish it off.....

Had mine for a while now and all I can still say about it is WOW! It makes it sound like well silenced .243, 300 yards behind it you can barely hear it....Compared to the 4 miles away audible noise with a brake on!

Out this afternoon at a range with a few chums took the Lap Mag and some rounds made up using 94.5g of H1000 - still on the 250g Lock Bases.

I recieved a case of new Lapua brass this morning as the RUAG brass I was using proved to be problematic showing hard extraction (despite full length resize)

ds1 gave me the possible cause to the problem - thanks mate, as the RUAG was all once fired in a AWSM - which have max SAAMI size chambers (my own chamber is min SAAMI) despite FL re-size and taking .040" off the base of the die the problem is still there, - so the RUAG brass will be going.

Pretty certain it wont affect anyone with a AI AWSM or even a TRG if there is anyone out there looking for once fired brass..

Anyway, first day without rain for a week so targets were set up at various distances bettween 500 and 800 mtrs, I still havent found the optimum load for the 338 but just wanted "trigger time" so I ran the load in quickload and then quicktarget so I had a drop table to 900 mtrs.

Quickload estimated the mv of the 250g bullet to be 2950 fps / me is in excess of 4500ft lbs :lol:

After checking zero with the Lapua brass loads - they were bang on, I ajusted the scope so it showed zero (remembered my allen key this time)

We then took turns to engage the targets, the ground was pretty saturated so strikes were easy to see and we didn't bother with paper as going to and fro would cause too much churning of the ground.

So, with estimated drop table, I engaged a target at 509 mtrs in a 12 mph cross wind - 1st shot 1 ft right (got the wind wrong) and bang on vertical.

2nd shot after correction just above, 3 rd shot hit ;)

My mates then shot their rifles (6.5x47 and a 7mm Rem Mag) they also connected with the third / 4th shot.

We then turned our atention to the 777mtr target, again the wind was 12-15 mph gusting L-R from 8 o'clock.

Made the correction for distance on the S&B, estimated 3.5 MOA windage and settled crosshairs on target, squeezing the trigger - lost sight picture momentarily and regained to see the strike about 2 inches to the right of the target.

2nd shot - hit.

To say I am impressed with this rifle is an understatement - it is awesome :D:D:D

Targets were 4 inch diameter by the way :P

Sorry no pics, left the camera at home - doh!

• 5 months later...

Since the last post about the XL 338, ive been busy with diy at home and too much work at work.

However, the XL is back from Kals shop and has had a coat of black on the barrel and brake to tone it down, also passed proof.

I remounted the scope earlier in the week and made up some 300SMK development loads using RL25, starting at 90g working up to 95g

Quickload estimates 2870 fps with this combination and shows it as a "warm load"

Anyway, the new coat of duracoat

_ASC0206.jpg

_ASC0196.jpg

_ASC0197.jpg

_ASC0198.jpg

I took it to the range and fired a sighter, which turned out to be not far from the dot I was aiming at, so I raised the elevation a couple of 1/10th of a mil and shot the first group using the 90g load

All groups are three shots by the way:

I was chuffed to see one hole appear:

300SMK90gRL25SurgeonXL.jpg

The 91g load followed along the same vein

300SMK92gRL25SurgeonXL.jpg

The 93g load showed some primer cratering and was obviously less stable as the group opened up to just over 1/2 inch and the 94g load was the same (vertical string this time) with slightly worse cratering with an imprint of the plunger, time to stop..

I then shot a group using the 250g Lock Base load as way of comparison at the bottom of the target.

300SMKRL25DevelopmentLoads.jpg

Overall, recoil is easily managable using the brake, the rifle is as accurate as I could wish for using the 300g 90g RL25 load, now is time to chronograph and stretch its legs a bit as the next shoot is looming at Warcop....

Ive also aquired a supply of 250g SMK that hopefully will shoot as well as the 300's, we will see.

BD

its supplied by Jager Sporting Arms (Kaleiderscope on here)

It is very effective, but unpleasant for those at either side B)

Sean

it will be at Warcop.

I can't get my head around 300 grain bullets :ph34r: Nice looking rifle (of course) and it looks like you struck gold with that second load development.

Don't worry Elwood they're tiny little bullets in reality...well compare to some 14.5mm ones I have sitting on the shelf :wub:

Ronin I hear from Lapua that there are some/shortly will be some 300 grain scenars (B.C. .810) entering the UK. I haven't got the right twist, but might be worth a try in yours :blush: Also I found the lock base bullets shot best at more moderate velocities of around 2750. As soon as I pushed them, they just lost the accuracy edge.

Ian

yep the 300's look massive compared to the Berger 180's and a loaded round dwarfs even RUM's.

Maybe not in the same league as Tiffs 14mm though!

Now I have a load for the 300 grainers, I plan to stretch out to 1000 on monday, weather permitting.

Have a source of solids from the states (and maybe one from over here too now), but these (the stateside solids) require a 6.75" twist (new barrel) as he present one is "only" a 9"tw.

However the UK sourced solids should stabilise in the 9tw..........

It looks nice for a coat of paint Andy. You are a braver man than me, though....sending a painted rifle to the proof house ? :blush: I had a couple of .308,s back yesterday, that came back with all the extra marks on the proof house throws in for free..... :ph34r:

Very nice indeed....a Mester,s gun . :wub:

Dave

when is your XL going to be up and running?

Darrell

used the "spare" PM11 on the 338 sorry mate :ph34r:

Guest varmartin

Baldie.....

Quote...

It looks nice for a coat of paint Andy. You are a braver man than me, though....sending a painted rifle to the proof house ? blink.gif I had a couple of .308,s back yesterday, that came back with all the extra marks on the proof house throws in for free..... :angry:

How the F*** does the Proof House get away with damaging personal property like that ?

Heard the same thing on to many occasions.....

Baldie.....

Quote...

It looks nice for a coat of paint Andy. You are a braver man than me, though....sending a painted rifle to the proof house ? blink.gif I had a couple of .308,s back yesterday, that came back with all the extra marks on the proof house throws in for free..... :angry:

How the F*** does the Proof House get away with damaging personal property like that ?

Heard the same thing on to many occasions.....

I was going to ask the same question. I have also heard that it pays not to upset them unless you want to be waiting a long time!

The proof house is run by some great fella,s, especially Richard, at London. They are genuinly nice people, who bend over backwards to help you.

However, its not them who do the testing. I will only now send unfinished, unstocked weapons to proof, as we no longer can stand the repair bills for damage to the guns. I wont send them painted, and dread sending fluted barrels down, because they always come back dinged, on the flutes, where they have been crushed in the vice. It obvious, that the muzzles are let drop, on the jaws opening, by the the under barrel damage, and it all could be avoided, by a little care.

The proof house are not liable in any way, shape or form, for any damage caused to a gun, either by test firing, or careless handling, and you are pissing in the wind by complaining.

Ronin,

The .338 is sat awaiting proof, as i have 3 brakes to fit to its brothers, to go monday. Then i,ve to wait while april for the stock to land, so it gonna be May realistically, before it starts upsetting people. :angry:

On the brakes...Russ Gall made me 4 vais type specials up for these barrels, as they are 1.250" diameter, and they are truly beautiful bits of kit. He is making them on a cnc lathe, to whatever size, diameter, and thread you wish. They are also made from decent barrel steel, not the sheeite that vais use, and blend it lovely.

Vais are not on the export list , so brakes cannot be had until they are, but judging by these Russ made, we will be using his from now on. They are a vastly superior product, and they are british.

Took the 338 out for an airing (with the 6.5x47) to an estate in the north where a small band of merry men were invited to practise on small targets at extended ranges.

The wind was gusting bettween 10 and 22mph averaging around 12 right up the valley.

Targets were fist sized and set at distances out to 600mtrs, some at an incline of 20 degrees.

The line up (the 338's in the distance) theres a 300 winnie, a 22-250, 308 etc etc..

_ASC0227.jpg

The target area

_ASC0230.jpg

_ASC0231.jpg

Sorry no pics of targets, it started sleeting shortly after close of practise so a hasty retreat was made.

Excellent day, difficult shooting and the 300 SMK's worked a treat :lol:

The only trees are the odd Rowan, we were at 1800ft and above is a moor.

Archived