RFD to RFD - No insurance?

Big Al

My local RFD in Newcastle tells me that he can send a rifle to another RFD on my behalf using either TNT or Parcelforce, the price would be £40.

He also said that neither TNT or Parcelforce offer any insurance option on used rifles, only new ones apparently, as such I would have to take the chance myself and that once it leaves his premises its no longer his problem.

Can anyone shed any light on this, what do you guys do when selling used rifles which may well have high values?

Parcelforce offer a pitiful amount for damaged/lost firearms and do not distinguish whether they're new or used.The only way to get round this is paying the enhanced compensation which could see you paying £100 just to get peace of mind

Your RFD will more than likely have transport liability built into their insurance but to be quite honest why should they risk their premium and have all the hassle for a few quid that they make from the deal

Parcelforce offer a pitiful amount for damaged/lost firearms and do not distinguish whether they're new or used.The only way to get round this is paying the enhanced compensation which could see you paying £100 just to get peace of mind

Your RFD will more than likely have transport liability built into their insurance but to be quite honest why should they risk their premium and have all the hassle for a few quid that they make from the deal

Well I wouldn't trust any come back on Parcelfarce,

They ripped me off on a heavy Landrover steering box that they lost many years ago and still charged me for the postage (which was quite a lot due to the weight) and despite their incompetence. I certainly wouldn't feel confident giving them a rifle or have any confidence of adequate compensation if it came to it.

A few years ago I ordered a shotgun from a dealer.

I don't remember which courier they used, but it was supposed to be sent to my local gunshop for me to collect and pay for.

The shotgun was confirmed by the dealer as being collected by the courier. The courier confirmed that they had collected.

The shotgun simply vanished without trace!

It never arrived at my local gunshop and the courier could not explain where it had gone after being collected!

It was probably nicked, sawn off and used in some post office raid somewhere.

RFD's usually charge between £30 and £40 to ship a firearm to another dealer within the UK. Out of that £15 will be the cost of shipping and the rest is to cover packing materials,their time to pack,exchange RFD details with receiving dealer and any notifications to the police. Not much for something that can be quite time consuming.

Using a couriers enhanced compensation works out expensive. A large element of the cost of my business insurance is cover for goods in transit which I have in place to cover MY goods. If anything goes wrong and I have to make a claim I still have a £300 excess so if I cover a customers firearm and it goes missing I'm £300 out of pocket straight away for providing a service that earns me nothing.

If you try to arrange insurance for a one off trip you will find its more expensive. I remember in 1981 taking a shotgun on a flight to Gibraltar and for a gun worth £1500 the insurance for one way was £50.

RFD's usually charge between £30 and £40 to ship a firearm to another dealer within the UK. Out of that £15 will be the cost of shipping and the rest is to cover packing materials,their time to pack,exchange RFD details with receiving dealer and any notifications to the police. Not much for something that can be quite time consuming.

Using a couriers enhanced compensation works out expensive. A large element of the cost of my business insurance is cover for goods in transit which I have in place to cover MY goods. If anything goes wrong and I have to make a claim I still have a £300 excess so if I cover a customers firearm and it goes missing I'm £300 out of pocket straight away for providing a service that earns me nothing.

If you try to arrange insurance for a one off trip you will find its more expensive. I remember in 1981 taking a shotgun on a flight to Gibraltar and for a gun worth £1500 the insurance for one way was £50.

OK, thanks for the reply Neil.

Im not disputing the value of the £40 charge, everyone should be paid for their time, thats how business works. I also understand why a company wont want to cover this risk on their own business insurance if they are only doing a transfer.

I just wasn't aware that it seems most of us will just be just winging it with the hope nothing gets lost or broken, I hadn't really thought about it as the previous RFD I used used to say it was covered under his business insurance but made no mention of excess, nothing I sent ever went missing so no problems but he is now no longer active hence my confusion this time.

TNT certainly do not offer insurance or compensation however Parcelforce do and I am under the impression it is for both new and second hand goods however you do have to pay more to increase the level. As an example with the old PF there were 5 insurance groups with the highest costing an extra GBP20.00 for cover of GBP2500

Parcelforce have just introduced a new firearms shipping service so instead of shipping a rifle by Parcelforce 24 there is now something called 'Express AM Secure' for the mainland which is more expensive, however there is a discount structure for BASC Trade members which from memory puts things up by around a fiver. We are still waiting to find out if they will offer insurance cover with the new system.

They will pay the full insured value of losses when pushed however it is hard work getting the cash out of them.

Archived