Chrony Advice

Don't know if this is the right section but I'm looking for a chrony for helping with load development. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced chrony that will do the job reliably? The F1 seems popular but I also see that it;s by far the most advertised used (ie owners either move them on because they don't use them or because of possible issues?). Your recommendations welcomed.

Magnetospeed,Sporter model for economy.

Least likely to give misleading readings.

By far the most convenient set up.

Correlates well with serious chronos,like Oehler,on tests.

What's not to choose?

gbal

I think it also depends where you intend to use them.

I have a Chrony F1 and a Magnetospeed V2. In ideal conditions (open sky, good light), the velocity readings from both are very close (I have not yet remembered to take both to fire the same round over them, though, which would be interesting).

I mostly test loads in my woodland which is dense conifer plantation - so light is sometimes a bit gloomy - I found I got a lot of odd readings from the Chrony in those conditions - enough to be a pain when I had loaded batches of 10 for testing, for example.

I have had no such problems with the Magnetospeed.

Thanks for the feedback guys. So the F1, being an optical device requires reasonable lighting conditions, but otherwise is accurate enough. Sounds like it'll do the job fine. The £100 saved can go towards some improved reloading scales.

Is there anything wrong with the cheaper optical models that makes this worth spending twice as much though?

Their performance is very variable. I have to dedicate half a day to travel to/from a location to test loads. On at least three occasions I've traveled and the optical chrono has not worked. I now use a magnetospeed and it's in a different league when it comes to ease of use and product backup. Avoiding two abortive load testing trips has paid for the magnetospeed.

To me it's no brainer.

Regards

JCS

I've owned optical, accoustic and magnetic chronographs - in my opinion based upon extensive use of all three the magnetic (i.e. Magnetospeed V3 is my case) is über-reliable under all conditions, whereas optical is very inconsistent in variable light/wind conditions, and accoustic (Steinert) was a pain in the backside unless set up 100% level in three dimensions and a minimum of 3m from the muzzle, just too much faff and still not massively accurate.

Magnetospeed wins every time - the "Sporter" model is less versatile than the V3, but costs a lot less.

OK, thanks for the additional feedback chaps. Perhaps I'll reconsider but with everything else, if a Magnetospeed, it'l have to be a used one. I'll get use out of it for a fair few rifles for load data so it'll pay back longer term I guess.

The objective way to look at it,

Once you have the desired data why hang onto a chrono

What a strange approach - are you only ever going to work up one load for one rifle?

My chronograph sees regular use.

What a strange approach - are you only ever going to work up one load for one rifle?

Must admit, those were my thoughts. For hunting I may want to work up anything from subsonic fullbore through to longer distance vermin and target loads.

Is there anything wrong with the cheaper optical models that makes this worth spending twice as much though?

When I bought a Magnetospeed a couple of years back I did a comparison with the F1 and my results are listed below - .223 73gr Berger. I was surprised at how close they were. Saying that I much prefer the Magnetospeed and have only ever used it since. More convenient and stores all my data but the F1 was doing the job! Plus the Magnetospeed gives actual muzzle velocity instead of 10-12 feet away but dont really see that as making much difference.

--V2-----F1---

1. 2739 2738

2. 2733 2734

3. 2735 2738

4. 2739 2741

5. 2736 2738

6. 2712 2710

7. 2715 2715

8. 2748 2748

9. 2753 2753

10. 2724 2723

--------------------

Av.2733 Av. 2733

Sd. 13 Sd. 13

Es. 41 Es. 43

I agree, you might need to test the same load again in different weather conditions, temperature, barometric pressure can all make a difference. Also what happens when your favourite bullet or powder is suddenly no longer available.

Archived