T3-MDT WIP

terryh

Just starting on a build for my eldest, I had a T3 in 6.5x55 with a March 3-24x53 with a 20" heavy barrel for stalking so thought adding the MDT chassis would be a nice 'balance' for range work for him and just about stalking for me (not a lot of walking)

Here is literally the first bolt together:

post-10201-0-93854600-1445181739_thumb.jpeg

First impressions, the MDT kit is nicely made and goes together.

The long action mags are OK to adjust but the follower spring is a bit weak.

The cheek piece does not allow the bolt to come right back and will need to be trimmed, it is also a bit short at the tail end, I can see a piece of Kydex in this rifles future.

finasl colour scheme needs to be sorted. Will change the Houge grip for a thumb rest ERG-Grip in the near future.

All in all though give a compact and not too heavy set up.

T

Looks good Terry

Suggest future enhancements :

One piece picatinny

Heavier barrel ......in 6.5x 284 or 260 Rem,,,,or stick with the Swede

Change the bolt handle and rear shroud to aftermarket ,,

Just starting on a build for my eldest, I had a T3 in 6.5x55 with a March 3-24x53 with a 20" heavy barrel for stalking so thought adding the MDT chassis would be a nice 'balance' for range work for him and just about stalking for me (not a lot of walking)

Here is literally the first bolt together:

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

First impressions, the MDT kit is nicely made and goes together.

The long action mags are OK to adjust but the follower spring is a bit weak.

The cheek piece does not allow the bolt to come right back and will need to be trimmed, it is also a bit short at the tail end, I can see a piece of Kydex in this rifles future.

finasl colour scheme needs to be sorted. Will change the Houge grip for a thumb rest ERG-Grip in the near future.

All in all though give a compact and not too heavy set up.

T

Nice bit of kit Terry,whats the all up weight . I am looking to do the same in a KRG HABU STOCK regards lee

Andy,

I'm going to stick with the Swede, at 6.5x55 SKAN loads it will eat the 600 yards max for this rifle's normal use (90% of the time), fits club comps and potential CSR etc.

Bolt knob is on the agenda, had not thought about the one piece rail? Under forend rail to allow an Atlas and sled to be fitted

Lee

I'll weigh the rifle next opportunity. Re. Habu, I can see one in my future with a titanium action, carbon wrapped barrel in either 6BR or 6x47 :)

FGYT

Grip is due for change before use.

Current status, painted and rail added, magazines now feeding

post-10201-0-42679800-1445702658_thumb.jpeg

Turns out I've been supplied with a V2 butt which is wrong for the Chassis. MDT have been really helpful and fix is in the post.

After taking the stock apart to paint and looking you could shave a bit more off the weight with a few hours in a mill should you so wish? Putting a Magpul CRT on the back end and easily shaving about 100mm of the front box section and you could make a light rifle.

The more I play with the set up the more it feels right.

T

• 3 weeks later...

Almost there,

Chopped forend, Ergo grip, 20moa rail and Third eye rings, bolt knob to install

post-10201-0-45699500-1447507430_thumb.jpeg

Might do a bit of filling and filing on the chop?

once it stops raining I'll even get to shoot it?

T

Whats it weigh now?

Without bi-pod and 5 rounds just over 10 pounds (caveat - bathroom scales, will use our works shipping scales for more accurate result)

If you wanted light then a Med-Palma barrel and Magpul CRT stock (pluss some time in the mill on the chassis) and you could shed pounds but still be very functional.

T

Nice bit of kit Terry,whats the all up weight . I am looking to do the same in a KRG HABU STOCK regards lee

So cost and availability are not a concern then?

Surely the KRG X-Ray and Whiskey-3 ought to be enough for most uses?

The bolt knob that would suit that mate would be a stainless rear shroud and the titanium bolt handle with carbon fibre bolt knob from turkey stalking. Got one on mine it's sweet.

CZV

So cost and availability are not a concern then?

Surely the KRG X-Ray and Whiskey-3 ought to be enough for most uses?

Sorry for the late post busy doing my house up at moment

DW58 if you look at the weight of the whiskey 3 and the HABU stock there is a weight saving on the HABU

it might be a bit more expensive but that's not a concern to me.it also has a 3 month waiting time from order

to delivery.They may not be every ones cup of tea but I do like the weight saving over the whiskey 3.Thanks lee

Sorry for the late post busy doing my house up at moment

DW58 if you look at the weight of the whiskey 3 and the HABU stock there is a weight saving on the HABU

it might be a bit more expensive but that's not a concern to me.it also has a 3 month waiting time from order

to delivery.They may not be every ones cup of tea but I do like the weight saving over the whiskey 3.Thanks lee

Well - whatever floats your boat I guess.

A $3700 (£2435) base price is very high for a chassis especially when currently only on offer for Rem 700 and TRG (no T3).

Archived