Cartridge options for 75/80gr Amax

As normal I spent a few hours out with my 22.250 yesterday afternoon,

First shot from a cold barrel - was a big old carrion at 415 yrds - Next shot was 465 a rabbit.

Missed the next shot - a bunny at 560 yrds - a little too much elevation.

I also did a few on shots on target using some new Lapua new brass.. First pic is 4 shots with 75 grn Amax - crooned at 3280 fps and an ES of 11

The lower pic is 4 shots with 60 grn Vamx zipping along at 3670 fps with an ES of 30 - worth noting that I haven't done any load development at all - simply the first load I have put together

22.250%20-%2075%20grn%20Amax_zpswxxul6xa

20151012_210125_zpsh67t3fho.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Al I was out today in 8/20mph winds with 223 shooting 77 TMK out to 900 yds. I could consistently hit a rabbit carcass at 670 yds. I even hit at carcass 3 X in a row at 780 yds. I then went to 900 yds on stones and it was holding around 0.75MOA. I was most impressed with it.

Al I was out today in 8/20mph winds with 223 shooting 77 TMK out to 900 yds. I could consistently hit a rabbit carcass at 670 yds. I even hit at carcass 3 X in a row at 780 yds. I then went to 900 yds on stones and it was holding around 0.75MOA. I was most impressed with it.

Sounds great Simon, are you running the case near max MV? Can I ask what you load data is?

Velocity is around 2850 fps so it's up near max. My ES was better higher up. Accuracy was similar both at low and higher charges. Averaging around 0.25MOA.

Interesting Simon, having shot your .223 so well yesterday do you really feel a 22BR would have performed much/any better?

I wonder if a few less clicks in both directions would make that much difference?

Interesting Simon, having shot your .223 so well yesterday do you really feel a 22BR would have performed much/any better?

I wonder if a few less clicks in both directions would make that much difference?

If I shot mine against a 22BR shooting at the same time and subjected to the same variations in wind speed then yes the 22BR would shoot tighter (accuracy being on par). Is it noticeable in the field at 600 yards? My setup has enough ballistics to cope with vermin easily to 600 if the winds are steady. It comes down to wind reading, filling your ballistic app with the correct data, having a good load and consistent shooting style. If you apply the fundamentals of LR shooting then I don't think the extra speed is required for the ranges you are considering. My setup has enough ballistics. It's all down to the wind call.

Stephen. Simon will no doubt clarify-maybe the Fed 205 Match refers to the primers used.

Simon,great shooting as ever.

Good to see acknowledgement of steady wind-that helps!

20 mph wind deflection at 800y with 223 77g BC .39 @2750 would be around 153 inches,if anyone is wondering about trying this at home. Needs clicks,and wind skills. Lots.

gbal

Hi Simon nice shooting were these groups shot at 100 or 205m as I see it wrote on target . may I ask what rifle are you using is it full custom.

ATB Stephen

Hi Stephen

It's 100 yds when I was testing primers. 205M denotes the primer. I used 7.5's for the bulk of the development but in an effort to reduce ES I tested 205M too. The rifle is a Tikka 595 with a 1:7 Bartlein gain twist 22" barrel.

Gbal thanks for the nice comment.

Regards

Si

Nice Si , that looks almost exactly like my sss a5 style stock ! ;)

Archived