FAC ticket - Advice / thoughts

David Hancock

22 is the accepted nominal calibre,and rf indicates rim fire (so excludes cf-centre fire 22 calibres).

22LR,22 short,22WRM and so on are all actually different 22 cartridges, not all interchangeable -though all are 22 calibre rim fires

22rf -as said- gives you a bit more flexibility/choice-if you want a 22rf, then fine-you have authorisation for a 22rf. Strictly speaking, 22LR is authority ony for a 22rf that chambers the particular 22LR (22 Long Rifle) cartridge,and not any of the others.

The calibre/cartridge distiction is useful,though not always used with complete consistency-and some cartridges are somewhat inaccurately named . If you have authority for what you wish to possess,then there is no issue.There is some latitude in casual refering to 'the 22',and some of the 22 rf cartridges are rare,but the 22LR totally dominates,and is generally what is refered,unless the alternatives clearly specified. FLO's generally take a sensible view of nomenclature-if in any doubt at all,easy to clarify-at worst,it might mean a one for one-but really should not if carefully done first time round

gbal

I spoke to a guy recently who said that Cumbria are quite happy to authorise a .22 centrefire in the same manner, this then gives you the choice of .222, .223, 22-250 and a few others. I think this makes great sense, especially if you haven't found the exact rifle you want and in truth it doesn't really matter, is a .220 Swift any more or less dangerous than a .222?

Sadly Northumbria who I think of as an excellent dept wouldn't grant me a slot for a .20 cal c/f, instead they wanted to know which variant.

Gbal. Thank you. Great advice as always - I specifically wanted a .22LR and stated a .22LR in my variation so was bemused by being given a slot for a .22RF.

Big Al - on your point, when I asked said same department if I could request a .20cal CF - thus giving me the option of a .20Tac, or a .20Prac they said no, my request had to be specific.

Gbal. Thank you. Great advice as always - I specifically wanted a .22LR and stated a .22LR in my variation so was bemused by being given a slot for a .22RF.

Big Al - on your point, when I asked said same department if I could request a .20cal CF - thus giving me the option of a .20Tac, or a .20Prac they said no, my request had to be specific.

David,yes I see why you asked for a 22LR-you wanted a 22LR..simples...I can see the FLO wants to specify 'rim fire' too. WE need to be fairly tolerant about all this cartridge naming etc.....mine just says 22 and also "self loading' (it's in the 'possessed'section,so no chance of an unintended purchase etc.

Not wanting to suggest possible complications,but thinking for a moment or two,it is all a bit complicated-for example : consider the authority for a "22LR" (which is intended/does mean '22 calibre rim fire long rifle cartridge/chamber",which is fine,but a 22BR is rather a different beast,and is a cente fire ....OK when one knows,but you can just see the issues that might arise....and this plethora of labels gets more complex and inconsistent all the time....

So we might all spare a thought/sympathy for the administrator in the FLO system....22LR ....22BR.....I'm not claiming this FLO was ahead on the game,but some care is clearly needed! ("22 rim fire rifle" would have done it,"22 Long Rifle rim fire rifle" likewise,maybe a bit cumbersome!)

Writing guidance and rules/laws must be quite tricky,which some (not you) seem to overlook! The '20 prac/tac does seem inconsistent-maybe because they are a bit new,so being careful.....? I can remember when '17' started over here-there actually were way more than a dozen of them.....seventeen,possibly -and none were air rifles.... :-)

Bottom line,you got what you wanted.Hope it shoots appropriately.

g

In Lancs you get 22 Rimfire which means all variants thereof including WMR eminently more sensible all the micro management does zip for public safety. Back in the day I used to get a variation for a fullbore pistol/revolver after sitting in the lobby of Lancs police HQ for half an hour for the nice lady to sort it out.

Life was a whole lot simpler then..

Sadly Northumbria who I think of as an excellent dept wouldn't grant me a slot for a .20 cal c/f, instead they wanted to know which variant.

Gloucestershire when i put in to swap 223rem for 20 practical my ticket came back with 20 cal , so in theory, i could of had a 20 X 47 Lapua built or something silly :)

Archived