Interesting beding job

rem700

While doing some research on .222 twist rates I came across this

Chap who had his barrel glued into his stock but not the action ??

I would have thought it would have played havoc with the barrel

Harmonics but he says it shoots very well , here's a link 12 posts down the page

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?92006-224-quot-Barrel-Twist-Rates-vs-Accuracy

Rem,

there are a few heavy barreled Long range Benchrest and F class rifles around utilizing a similar system of barrel block attached to the stock with the action free floating in an attempt to nullify any stresses imparted to the front of the action by a very heavy barrel. Whether that theory is real or imagined I don't know, but conventional rifles with the action bedded or fitted to a V block of some description and barrel floating seem to be still doing most of the winning as far as I can tell. I have an article, actually a few articles as it was over nine issues, from the now defunct 'Accurate Rifle' magazine where the author was attempting to improve the accuracy of an ancient Rem 722, which by coincidence was also a triple two. He started to see real improvements when he bedded the rearmost section of the barrel and floated the action. I won't be trying anything as radical any time soon.

Richard.

Bet it is a bit of a game when he comes to rebarrel

Does this type of barrel bedding reduce the harmonics of the barrel

Ie making the load easyer to tune ?

Bet it is a bit of a game when he comes to rebarrel

Does this type of barrel bedding reduce the harmonics of the barrel

Ie making the load easyer to tune ?

One would imagine it would alter the harmonics rather than reduce the harmonics giving the barrel more density and a lower pitch resonant frequency.

Gluing or bedding a barrel has the effect of shortening the barrel length from the point where its NOT glued/Bedded , as the rest of it cannot move.

Effectively making it very short and very stiff.

The reason very heavy short barrel always shoot so well.

Thanks Baldie for the explanation

As always I am more enlightened every time I visit this site

It's just getting all the info to stay in my head

Archived