Stocks from USA

Can you still directly buy a gun stock from the USA or do you have to go through an importer?

Google Boyds stocks , Ive bought direct from them , no issues , no import duty (I was lucky to get away with paying no duty)

SG,

You'll only know for sure by asking the manufacturer directly as each one seems to have their own interpretation of the regs and whether there're prepared to ship direct.

At one time or another I've bought stocks off Elk Ridge, Richards Microfit, Bill Shehane, Steve Mcgee, Shurley Bros and Alex Sitman (Masterclass Stocks) and it was only the latter that required me to use a registered arms exporter. The only one that declined point blank was PRT although they were very courteous as most are and the only one that refused to even acknowledge my emails was John Hoover as if corresponding with an 'alien' was going to get him hauled before the Grand Jury.

Most of the above were small scale operations making target stocks, rather than mass market sporting replacements. To be honest, I wouldn't even bother these days importing direct with Joe West making their own range plus bespoke items.

Richard.

Most boyds stocks are priced at $99 specifically to make them lower than a US $100 export exemption on certain parts which covers stocks (as long as they don't have the word Tactical in the name). Their postage rate covers actual price + postage in the eBay style, as they have been at $99 for years!

So, certain items below $100 don't need a license. Stocks over $100 order value would need an export license, so realistically would need to come through an importer.

If Red Hawk Rifles have been shipping their 'well over $100' stocks without a specific export license they would be impounded if stopped.

Boyds have now put their prices up, $129 for a basic stock now so no more exports from them unless on special offer for under £100

Edgars are alleged to have done the deal to import Boyds so bang goes the source of good quality budget priced stocks.

Ian.

Yes, that is correct.

I emailed Boyds last week to ask why they had increased prices so quickly to a point that it stopped individual imports, I was told I should contact either Edgar Brothers or Sportsman Gun Centre - sadly that another door closed on a decent product at a very affordable price. :(

• 3 weeks later...

It will be amusing to see what they charge for a $99 stock we have all been ordering and paying for from the US on our own for years. I must have had ten or so over that time and they usually ended up costing £120-130 to my door.

I will open the bidding at £250, what is anyone else's best guess? SYSS also used to import Boyd kit and that was double the price, The septics are just hopeless and love their security laws so yet another modest product will become pointlessly expensive. Oscart Haugen at GRS will be rubbing his hands together. The Boyd stock was cheap for a reason and as it gets closer to half the GRS price, Hmm, that's an easy one!

I spoke to Edgar Bros last week, I was told the plan was to be retailing the Boyds range for around £130-£140 in the UK, these would need to be ordered via the retailers. As of last week EB hadn't put in the big initial order yet and they were looking at Feb 2016 before they would have a decent stock and be advertising nationally.

If those prices turn out to be correct then I could live with that as getting them from the US used to cost me £125 after customs charges.

We live in hope. I am very sceptical though. Its a shame that they didnt do this and have them CNC inlet for AI mag compatible bottom metal when I started doing it 6 years ago. Rem700 would have sold like hot cakes.

I guess we dont know what lies ahead Hatzi, as individual buyers I guess Boyds had zero interest in the UK market needs, hopefully they may listen to the requests of an importer a little better, time will tell.

I doubt it Al,

I used to have a ChryslerJeep franchise, the UK market was 20,000 vehicles a year, or .2% of CJ's annual production. You can imagine the amount of influence the UK Importer had on product decisions. I would think the numbers will be diferent but percentage wise I think the whole UK market is probably equivalent to a small to medium sized US retailer.

nice point,gun nut.

Here is the Under Assistant West Coast Sales Promotion man : "Well,we sold more in Bismark,than Europe".

"Bismark?"

"Yeah,I had to look it up myself-apparently it's in Nebraska".

That is not to deny that some US companies are very good indeed on sales support etc.

I have watched this thread with great interest, as some will know I help Joe run Joe West Riflestocks. We have never been able to compete with Boyds as the cost of the raw laminate was always half the total cost of a Boyds stock. A few things come to mind firstly why have Boyds had a 30% price increase try that with any business and see what happens. Is there really enough money in Edgars selling a stock at £140 bearing in mind both they and your retailer has to make a profit ? We at Joe West have now developed a system to make the laminate at a viable cost which has better colour saturation and is denser than Rutlands was. We also have a dedicated cnc machine set for producing riflestocks. The problem we have is although boyds stock shapes are very simple and easy and quick to make, every action needs a slightly different stock shape, try fitting a ford engine in a Vauxhall. We could spend the time and get all the action inlets and various stock shapes on the cnc machine but how many would we really sell, would we ever recoup our investment, could we sell 20 a week to make it worth while.

Same old story the British market just is not big enough to be viable, abit sad really but we are better off sticking with kitchens as our main business and making a few F class stocks as a side line.

Archived