£1500 to buy a varmint rifle..but which

Howa have recently introduced a .223 1:9. They are just starting to trickle through. We've just bought one as a club rifle from Ivythorn Sporting.

Just noticed some more new stuff from Howa,though hardly fits the OP here-and may not get over here:

Howa Mini Action rifle in 223 (204 maybe)-the action is 6 inches and 10.2 oz ( short is 6.9 and 13.1)

The sales hype of course is 'faster loading'- well,fractional,and irrelevant really-most of the shooting time in this class of rifle is realigning and aiming it- not an inch of bolt travel-but it should come in quite 'lite' maybe 5.7 lb. Maybe $550?

It will probably be more a truck driver's rifle than a tack driving rifle,but with the 20 inch barrel (or shortened?) it will be a handy little rifle,and a dandy donor action for a Fireball.

(traditionalists can still look for an A1 Sako.)

gbal

My 2p worth. I have a Howa in a B & C Stock, Rifle Basix trigger and a new 204 barrel by Neil McKillop and it is superb. I had a 75 Varmint in 22-250 and prefer this. Don't be scared of spending money on a Howa action, they are very good.

Hi

I’ve decided my Howa 223 sporter in 223 is not accurate enough for long range varminting, although it does the job on medium range smaller deer. Although I reload for it, which has improved its accuracy, it’s not accurate enough for me. I read about some of you fellas knocking over crows at 300 and rabbits at 500, obviously with better rifles and I’ve decided to get something varmint barrelled, preferably in stainless. I can sell the Howa with a predator MOD on it, possibly for about £450-500, and soon I will have £1000 cash saved up. So total budget is £1450-£1500. What would you recommend? I don’t want anything too ‘bench rest’ but I’m thinking Sako,Tikka or Remington, and it needs to carry a moderator eventually. What do you think?

A t3 super Varmint comes in at 1160. I have just the varmint and I'm one of those guys that could plug a crow at 500 on a good day, on difference is I'm not running 223

Mate near me is selling his Rem 700 VSSF in .223 for £700. Has a very low round count & is fitted with a scope.Happy to PM you his contact info., etc. (he's near Livingston)

Bargain ..and put it in an aics stock..

post-11466-0-34658900-1437176885_thumb.jpg

Are you lefthanded?

No, I'm normal. :P

Thanks for the interests in this in this thread fellas, and thanks for all your PMs with offers of sales. Some are a bit beyond the brief though with some heavier calibres creeping in. I'm considering the options. I think one of the major factors here is the use of a moderator. I've got trouble with my right shoulder and heavy recoiling rifles cause quite a lot of grief. Generally these super accurate rifles are not screw cut nor are they meant to be. Ive got to keep it as a rifle for its primary function which is vermin. Ive been looking at the extensive Remington 700 range. Have any of you out there got a Remington SPS Long Range, custom or basic? Id be interested in your thoughts on them. I think Ive settled on either a Rem or a Tikka.

• 2 months later...

I am suprised you cannot get on with your HOWA. I have a 1500 heavy varmit in .243 and its more accurate that its owner, it will cloverleaf at 100yds with 75 grn V max's.

I suggest get it in a decent stock and add a rifle basics trigger and you should have a super accurate weapon. A suitable Vortex on top should then complete the package.

I am sure with a sensible bullet eg 55 blitz king or a V max it will do all you want just need to develope a suitable load.

If you are still hell bent on getting a new rifle why dont you use the action which is very good and get it pimped by say Valkerye. Add a wildcat evolution moddy and there you are.

D

• 1 month later...

The budget is for the rifle alone, preferably screw cut. I prefer 223 because its tried and tested and common. There's no problem in getting reloading bits/data for it. The 223 is also deer legal in case I need it, although it wont be its primary function.

The twist is important. Howa come 1:12 and the heavier bullets wont stabilise. I know I could customise the Howa but look at the numerous variables. barrel, stock, trigger , bedding, probably all from different suppliers. Something's got to go wrong, One mistake or badly cut component and the projects on its arse. I'm looking for a rifle within budget which has a tried and tested pedigree for accuracy. If I want to enhance it slowly after that, I can tweak it at my leisure. For instance I saw a Remington .223 700 GRS Long Range at Donaldsons which already had a Timney trigger for £1550, which looked good to go. I hold Sako in high regard, and considered the 85 stainless varmint fluted, but it would appear that they have been f'king around with the recoil lug and its a bit of a lottery as to whether you get a good one or not, and may need rebedding. GBal is right. The Howa rifle is inherently inaccurate. Its reflected in the price Its a project rifle for varminting if youre willing to take the risk. Don't get me wrong, at the ranges Ive been shooting at, the Howas doing a job, a workhorse to be bounced around in the back of a truck, but I wanted to move up a cog.

I am quite surprised that your Howa isn't accurate enough. What sort of groups can it do at 300 yards?

I have Tikka, Sako and Steyr and any long range issues I have are due to me, not the rifles. I can't imagine the Howa would be any different. Well, I hope not as I'm thinking about buying the new Howa mini actioned 17 Hornet when it arrives.

I see you are in the same area as me, and you are welcome to try to Tikka 223 to see if it performs any differently to your Howa.

Niel Mckillop did me a very good price on an R700 stainless action (new) with a stainless Pacnor barrel fitted to my spec (16.5" 6.5x47L screwcut etc )

Have to see if he can get the Actions again

Would Still need a stock

Good luck with what you choose!! ;)

Then i shall throw this into the mix if you plan to use on deer as well..................

I have a semi custom Sako in 280 ackley improved - runs the 162 A-max at 3025fps , nice and accurate at the longer ranges ;)

Its for sale in the classified section ;)

Good luck and have fun either way!!!! ;):)

ive seen both very accurate howas which i would be happy to own and howas that i simply wouldnt use at all , until they get there consistancy in maufacture i wouldnt be buying one, You dont say how good or bad yours is shooting?? tikka supervarmint out off the box will do u proud maybe with the addition of a trigger spring from valcurie rifles , am early rem 700 in lsvf is also a safe bet super accurate out off the box , how much shooting do you do ? and what are your hopes that another rifle will do that the howa wont ?

regards

ive seen both very accurate howas which i would be happy to own and howas that i simply wouldnt use at all , until they get there consistancy in maufacture i wouldnt be buying one, You dont say how good or bad yours is shooting?? tikka supervarmint out off the box will do u proud maybe with the addition of a trigger spring from valcurie rifles , am early rem 700 in lsvf is also a safe bet super accurate out off the box , how much shooting do you do ? and what are your hopes that another rifle will do that the howa wont ?

regards

Done this now. Have ordered a 1:8 twist heavy barrel Tikka T3 .223 factory screw cut (20" barrel) which I'm going to get bedded into a GRS stock. I going to lighten the trigger to its lightest possible setting and review it from there.

Done this now. Have ordered a 1:8 twist heavy barrel Tikka T3 .223 factory screw cut (20" barrel) which I'm going to get bedded into a GRS stock. I going to lighten the trigger to its lightest possible setting and review it from there.

id bet you wont be dissapointed!! good luck with it

Archived