Citizen Band Radio

When you think of emergency communication, the first thing that comes to mind is Ham Radio. However set up costs are high and you need a licence, plus plenty of practice.

The other option is Citizen Band (CB) Radio. It's lightweight, intuitive, cheap (initial setup probably under £100) and simple to use. I keep one in my 4x4 and when there's nothing on the radio, or if I'm on a long journey I'll switch it on and see who's about. I've had some very imteresting chats with truckers and other people who are probably similarly minded, I've also listened to some absolute rubbish though!

Still, it's there in the vehicle and whilst there is no where near as much traffic as I'm sure there was pre-mobile telephone; I'm betting that there will be a whole load of traffic once the grid is down and old sets are dusted off! I think a set should be on everyone's self reliance list.

Must admit, I've got one I keep meaning to fit in the disco.

Might do that at the weekend.

Mine's in my disco, but I just shove it down he gap next to the passenger seat and run the ariel out of the window on a magnetic base. It means that I can remove it quickly if I need to. If I had a Defender I'd definitely properly install it though.

• 5 years later...

used to be into it when i was lot younger .... have anew set somewhere that never been used ... might try to  set up  in motor ...last time i was on while back it was dead .

think i have a mobile handset that was full 4w and took heap o batteries in back and could plug in a mag mount or it had a big dildo looking black aerial ... 🙂

bugger it think ill have to go try find this stuff

paul 

Ham radio doesn't have to be expensive and eight year olds frequently pass the exams these days so they can't be that hard.  Higher power and a considerably wider range of available frequencies means that ham radio has a significantly greater probability of success in an emergency situation when compared to CB.

49 minutes ago, Plecotus said:

Ham radio doesn't have to be expensive and eight year olds frequently pass the exams these days so they can't be that hard.  Higher power and a considerably wider range of available frequencies means that ham radio has a significantly greater probability of success in an emergency situation when compared to CB.

Do you still need to do the 12wpm morse test, or is it mainly just voice com now?

24 minutes ago, les said:

Do you still need to do the 12wpm morse test, or is it mainly just voice com now?

no morse required for any licence I believe

As the chaps said, the CW (Morse) requirement went a long time back - well over ten years.  I've been a radio ham since 1978 and started listening on the bands at least fice years before that. It's a great hobby.  It was an interest I first encountered whilst still at school and was entirely responsible for my becoming an electronics engineer and for my 25 year career in the technology sector.  I'm still active, although not as active as I'd like to be thanks to running a busy business.

• 1 year later...