52gr AMax in a 1:14" Sako barrel - anyone doing it with success?

bewsh

just swapped a BRNO .222 for a Sako S491 with the above OEM length barrel

BRNO shot everything extremely well with the same twist

52gr Amax over 22.6gr N133

60gr Soft Points over 20.8gr N133

50gr VMax and Nosler BT's

I have tried to get the Amax to shoot in the Sako and I am getting 4-7" groups with charge ranges from 22gr to 23.2gr!!

the 60gr by contrast is touching holes with one maybe two around 1/14-1/2" off using the exact same load I used in the BRNO

in all my years of chucking stuff through a .222 I have never seen groups that big from any combination

am going to go back and try the 21.1-22gr range but will be gobsmacked if I have to drop that low and that the groups drop by 7"!

anyone using them?

sorry am not sure what that means.

the rifle is very clean and barely used

no idea why it was sold but the accuracy with 60gr makes me think it had little to do with its abilities generally

The 53 grain V-max is renowned for not shooting in a 1 in 14" twist. If a customer brings a rebarrel in either 22-250 or .222 , its the first question I ask. "Do you want to use the 53 grain V-max ? "

I would guess the 52 grain is the same. Its not the weight, its the overall bearing surface of the bullet.

They need a 1 in 12"

I have used these bullets in a 1 in 14" .222 BRNO Fox and they worked pretty well. At about 3050 fps they were grouping about 1" at 100y which is typical for this rifle although it does shoot a bit better with Nosler BT's.

I just chopped in my BRNO fox for this Sako

previously I was shooting 52gr Amax into 1/4-1/2" groups all day long over 22.6gr N133

same 1:14" twist

not a nice condition barrel either!

never tried the 53gr but did try the 60gr using the same 20.8gr N133 load I use for flat base 60gr Soft points

they were Ok but I didnt go any further with the load and went back to Amax as they were cheaper and arrived in the post!

very strange

am going to try and slow them right down see if that makes a difference

don't really want a sub 3000fps load for 50's but if it is the only thing that works then so be it!

Im sure my friends t3 lite has a 1-14 and he shoots them very well , but then hees moved to 40s sbk because he struggles to get the Amaxs .

may have some for sale!!

I did a twist measurement today and I also measured the chamber

three twist measurements taken between 14.5 and 15" per full twist....not 14:1

Max OAL/ogive on lands for:

I am thinking it may be a bearing surface issue.

60gr SP vs 52gr Amax

IMG_2690_zpsnwfrgr59.jpg

52gr Amax vs 60gr Vmax

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/bewsh/HSF/IMG_2691_zpshrvmxrtm.jpg

60gr SP is 54.6mm (2.149") (puts my loads at 19 thou off the lands...give or take my measuring tolerance)
52gr AMax is 57.8mm (2.275")

I have also loaded up another batch of:

-AMax starting at 20.8gr through 21.8gr (to see if I can stabilise them at all)

-60gr SP at 20.8gr starting from 54.1mm through 54.6mm in 0.1mm increments to see if I can improve on the groups (am perfectly happy with them to be honest but it will serve to prove a point

- also the last of my 60gr Vmax to see if a flat base long bearing surface makes a difference

will shall see!

• 3 months later...

I sold 400 52gr Amax!!

pulling the tips and shortening the bullet made a world of difference

4-5" groups down to 1", same load literally just shot 5, pulled the tips on another 5 and shot them

whizzed through these tipless ones quickly so group is strung out, actually shot better than this

IMG_2906_zpswjxnfsfd.jpg

compared to same bullet with tips two missed the board low!

IMG_2907_zpsdsbblpsl.jpg

moved onto scierra 45gr flat base for foxes now...

image1_zpsobrvinod.jpg

annoying that it is so fussy being a nice rilfe

Thanks bewsh, Im glad I found this thread last week. I was about to try some 52r Amax in my Sako 75 and I think this thread saved me a lot of hassle. I opted for 40gr Sierra Blitzkings instead over N133 with very good results. :)

post-13063-0-51426300-1445439003_thumb.jpg

Thanks bewsh, Im glad I found this thread last week. I was about to try some 52r Amax in my Sako 75 and I think this thread saved me a lot of hassle. I opted for 40gr Sierra Blitzkings instead over N133 with very good results. :)

Al, did you have to play much with seating depths to get those groups? I'll be starting to reload for my .222 in the near future, so I'm keeping a keen eye on any .222 threads st the minute. ;)

Al, did you have to play much with seating depths to get those groups? I'll be starting to reload for my .222 in the near future, so I'm keeping a keen eye on any .222 threads st the minute. ;)

No, I started 0.015" away from the lands and hit lucky, then again a few people have told me the .222 is a very easy round to load for, having never owned one I can't really verify this beyond this one example. Of the five powder charges I selected four of them shot sub 1/2". I plan to chop the barrel soon and will most likely use a faster powder so will know better once Ive developed another couple of loads.

I did this one before chopping just to verify that the rifle was worth the extra effort/expense, looks like it was :)

post-13063-0-82200400-1445445208_thumb.jpg

Archived