After AI AT in .308

shooter83

New to all this (F Class) and the forum so hello all.

I would like a rifle (AI AT) that I can shoot out to 1000yds. I currently shoot target .22 amd .308 but looking to get involved in F class. I have heard various things about barrel lengths and muzzle breaks etc. What is the optimum for an all rounder (length and twist). Is the muzzle break going to make a huge difference in recoil and are AI AT worth the money asked for them? Is it worth getting the silencer and how might one go down that route if need be?

As you may have gathered I would like the AI AT, no reason apart from aesthetics, build quality and military pedigree.

Thank you

N

p.s. I am based in Herts, are there any shops anyone knows of who might be willing to advise and have display rifles I can look at?

Depends how serious you are about F Class. If you just want to do a few club comps where anything goes, then no probs with the AI.

If you want to do it properly, then muzzle-brakes are out and your 308 will really need a 30 inch barrel to be competitive out to 1000 yards.

Hi gp, why are muzzle brakes not allowed in f class

When F Class was in its infancy it was shot alongside Target Rifle shooters. The blast from a brake could blow the adjacent shooter off aim!

Probably would still have some effect even with rested rifles. You need to be careful in 600 & 1000 yd BR where most shooters use brakes. If you get 'doubled' it can definitely spoil your group!

my buddie and I were shooting the RRC next to a brake last Saturday , it's tough to concentrate with sheep sh1t,grass and leaves being blown in your face !

obviously this is the cause of my low score , absolutely nothing to do with my rifle being a temperamental cow at the moment or my shooting being rubbish !

the main consideration with wanting to shooting F-tr is the max permitted weight for Rifle/scope/bipod is 8.25KG which you may well struggle to get down to with a heavy stock like the AT.

Have a look on the GB F class website

http://www.gbfclass.co.uk/index.php/home/f-tr-only

Alan

Thanks all. The weight is something I will have to look at. How about the barrel. Twist and length and best scope and mounts within 800. And bipod for a further 200

You might struggle for reasonable scope and mounts for 1000yds at £800. Sightron do pretty good value scopes at 8--32X x 56.

Have one myself and they are pretty good for the money. Love the reticle i have LRMOA.

Archived