Rifle stocks from the usa ?

v-max

Hi what dose itac mean ? Also I was thinking in case I missed the waiting time & the stock wasn't ready for me & I was back in the uk etc. I have family in usa so would they be able to post it on to me via ups etc ?

ITAR = US government International Traffic in Arms Regulations

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Traffic_in_Arms_Regulations

Basically brought in a long time ago in cold war times to stop the transfer of high-technology hardware, software and expertise to the PRC and the former USSR, it has been expanded to cover almost every component of common or garden firearms and ammunition components down to trigger mechanism pins and springs, most riflescopes and mounts etc.

Stocks are definitely included.

Export from the USA continues but needs a DSA licence and which due to cost is really only sensible for export agents and companies who can spread it across large orders (and who also hold an ITAR exporter's licence).

Note that if you're caught doing an unlicensed export, the item will indubitably be confiscated, and that the attempt to export is a Federal criminal offence, a felony not a misdemeanour. Although it's most unlikely you would do time in a US federal penitentiary, the legal consequences may prove extremely onerous, and could also see any future application to travel to the USA refused.

Some stocks do make it over here:

Jackson Rifles - http://www.jacksonrifles.com/inventory.htm

Gary C - Manners stocks.- https://www.marchscopes.co.uk/index.php/en/rifle-stocks/manners-composite-rifle-stocks

However Darrell Holland's stocks are no longer obtainable - my personal favourites.

The stock in my Avatar is a Richards Microfit stock.

Regards

JCS

phaedra1106 - Yes, but as you say if it costs $100, they can't or won't ship to export customers. You don't get much of a stock for £70 these days!

JCS, of course stocks and other parts still get here John, but via a registered US export agent and to us through a recognised importer. The OP wants to know about bringing a personal export out in a suitcase or getting a relative to post it to him if delivery takes place after he's left the US.

On the relatives doing this, if you search the various British shooting forums, there are stories of people's relatives doing this for them in all innocence and ending up being serially harrassesd by the 'Feds' with threats of criminal prosecution.

When it comes to Federal laws and regulations, US officials and law enforcement agencies have absolutely no sense of humour, discretion or proportionality. The rough UK equivalent would be an 'absolute offence'. It's best not to tempt providence and to look for equivalent European products instead.

You have to wonder at the US policies, as they must be absolutely destroying their own export business.

Shuggy, I agree 100%. The USA is a strange mixture - ruggedly individualistic entrepreneurs and a federal, sometimes state, bureacracy with a humourless, unbending, officious individual culture amongst their employees who apparently got their job training from Swiss Railways ticket inspectors.

So far as loss of business goes, I think the attitude amongst American politicians, legislators, and officials is that the USA is the world's top dog supplier, has been all their lives, and will be forever. The British Empire once had a similar attitude in the days when it had a near monopoly in the sale of arms, railway rolling stock, heavy machinery etc to former colonies - and we sell zilch now in some of these markets, stolen by the French amongst others. The Americans will likely go down the same route in due course, but so far as recreational firearms and shooting kit goes, their home market is so big compared to all of Europe's combined, they can afford to be complacent. Of course, if a future US administration were ever to get even a fraction of our firearms licensing laws through the two houses, or even simple gun registration ... then watch the headless chickens run around and start looking for alternative markets!

When it comes to Federal laws and regulations, US officials and law enforcement agencies have absolutely no sense of humour, discretion or proportionality. The rough UK equivalent would be an 'absolute offence'. It's best not to tempt providence and to look for equivalent European products instead.

You have to wonder at the US policies, as they must be absolutely destroying their own export business.

Well,maybe-they allegedly lost some Sikorsky helicopter sales because the computer documentation was withheld...

But ,on the sporting sales side,business within US is pretty good,best ever in fact,by many millions.

And if you ask the under assistant west coast sales promotion guy from Remchester why xxx isn't on our shelves,he tends to say

"We sold more of those in Bismark last year than in Europe",and when you ask him "Bismark?",he'll say

"Yeah,I had to look it up myself-apparently it's a little town in Nebraska."

Funny thing,international politics.

gbal

ps: swiss railways just plain work,to the second...maybe they keep all the good clocks for themselves :-)

When British train companies proposed a common (GMT) timetable and clock times to the UK network,some of the rail companies objected on the grounds that standardising clock times across the country "implied a commitment to punctuality,which they wished not to undertake."

it is certainly true that the US sporting guns and defence domestic markets are so large that they can 'afford' to ignore exports. However in the long run it stifles innovation and makes their industry fat and complacent. As a case in point, look how many decades it took the US manufacturers to come up with products to compete with the Glock pistol. The best that most of them could do was to copy the product.

it is certainly true that the US sporting guns and defence domestic markets are so large that they can 'afford' to ignore exports. However in the long run it stifles innovation and makes their industry fat and complacent. As a case in point, look how many decades it took the US manufacturers to come up with products to compete with the Glock pistol. The best that most of them could do was to copy the product.

Patently true,Shuggy.

I was once at an examiners meeting for final degrees where someone pointed out that the questions on the finals paper for international economic policy were exactly the same as those of four years ago. "Ah,yes",admitted the Professor of Economics "but you see,the answers have changed".

g

Hi thanks for all the replies on this regards my question. I know that most if all gun parts etc are prohibited items etc. I take it that there is no problem with anyone putting it in there case & taking it over for me then or do they need any paper work regards it etc ?

The Septics definitely know how to shoot themselves in the foot ,saying that I have imported a $99 Boyds stock from the US by post , no issues or duties to be paid this side although I know of some who have been hit for around £25 taxes.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

Just send it as a childs gift, under $45 ..easy !! No tax ,no problem.

You will generally find most manufacturers wont get involved in fraud just to save you £25.00

Hi thanks for the replies ladies & gents regards this. What is the export license is it expensive hard to get. I don't want to get me or any family or friend in trouble so to take a McMillian stock back is it do able what do need to do to keep me legal with it in a case etc cheers.

Hi thanks for the replies ladies & gents regards this. What is the export license is it expensive hard to get. I don't want to get me or any family or friend in trouble so to take a McMillian stock back is it do able what do need to do to keep me legal with it in a case etc cheers.

Simple. First you need to register with the Directorate of Defence Trade Controls at the State Department. After a month or so you will be issued with a registration number. Once you have this you will be able to submit a form DSP-73 via the DTRADE online clearing system. Then, all being well, after 4-6 months you will be issued with your export licence.

Or alternatively, you could just pay a couple of hundred pounds more and order it from Jacksons, who have done all this for you.

Simple. First you need to register with the Directorate of Defence Trade Controls at the State Department. After a month or so you will be issued with a registration number. Once you have this you will be able to submit a form DSP-73 via the DTRADE online clearing system. Then, all being well, after 4-6 months you will be issued with your export licence.

Or alternatively, you could just pay a couple of hundred pounds more and order it from Jacksons, who have done all this for you.

Could be worth it for a club especially if they have someone is good at paperwork, a batch of stocks, scopes , mounts etc could save a fair amount.

Archived