Beware-powder thief.

kernel gadaffi

I had a call from a good shooting mate earlier, telling he'd been nobbled, for a good while now, he's been buying loose powder from a local RFD who had a very large tub of powder, he only reloads a .223 and always uses the same amount of powder per charge and knows how many rounds he can get out of a kilo. Last Saturday, he went to buy a kilo of loose powder, he got to the shop, requested a kilo of powder and the RFD went to fill the tub. My mate, being the astute sort, weighed the tub before he went and again when he got home, there was only 800 grammes of powder in the tub, after a phone call to the RFD, were a few choice words were used, the RFD blamed someone else, there was no-one else, he was the one who filled the tub, the RFD has promised to make up the difference, the next time my mate goes in, the next time he goes in, he'll collect his missing powder and will return no more. How many more reloaders have been shafted by this joker?

As he's not a computer user, my mate has asked me to inform anyone who reloads, to beware of an RFD in the North East that sells loose powder.

There are many more doing this and virtually all of them illegally.

To decant powder from a bigger container to a smaller one for sale, you MUST;

1. Put it into industry standard Shooters powder canisters. These are designed to melt before the powder ignites in the case of a fire. Empty milk jugs and the like are illegal.

2. Have a CERTIFIED and tested regularly , set of scales for the purpose. Trading standards take a very dim view of this.

3. The tubs has to be clearly labelled with all the information from the parent tub, including its new weight.

4. Anyone storing more than 25 kg of powder has to have it in a Magazine.

I've spoken to my mate this morning and he will be informing Trading Standards, powder is expensive enough without getting a 20% short pour.

I know of at least 2 sources in the North East that sell powder sourced from bulk supplies, any chance of naming the one responsible?, do they operate from a shop, factory or castle turret?.

I've also been provided with powder in plastic "milk bottles" which, according to the supplier are perfectly acceptable to trading standards H&S etc. as long as they are high-density polyethylene (HDPE) and labeled with the 1.3 explosives warning label.

I know of at least 2 sources in the North East that sell powder sourced from bulk supplies, any chance of naming the one responsible?, do they operate from a shop, factory or castle turret?.

Great idea,

Lets start a witch hunt based on some unfounded allegation posted on the Internet

Great idea,

Lets start a witch hunt based on some unfounded allegation posted on the Internet

Nothing really to do with it,perhaps,but I weighed two empty vihtavuori powder containers,a kilo and a 3.5 k..just in case someone had made a little mistake, ....and just for fun checked what 200/1000 X £68 actually is....

Been watching Judge John Deed,you see,which is not to deny that there may be a case to answer....Let's wait and see.

Great idea,

HAVE TO AGREE HERE

Great idea,

Who said anything about starting a witch hunt? and how do you know the allegation is unfounded?.

It may, at this point, be unsubstantiated but a heads up may provide some input from other shooters that this was a one off error and show some support for the RFD concerned. I've never had any short measures from either of the places I've bought bulk powder from.

Who said anything about starting a witch hunt? and how do you know the allegation is unfounded?.

It may, at this point, be unsubstantiated but a heads up may provide some input from other shooters that this was a one off error and show some support for the RFD concerned. I've never had any short measures from either of the places I've bought bulk powder from.

Its come for my timely warning again.......

This is getting as close as it needs to get gents.

There is no evidence here, just hearsay - as frustrating as it is for those concerned.

Couple that with the fact that, by the nature of web forum threads, only one side of the story will be being promoted as fact.

Thus, using this website as a platform to air grievances has the potential to bring this site into disrepute and is something that will not be tolerated.

Please keep the right side of the law and the rules of the site - which everyone has thus far :)

Archived